Patch 1.2.1 Cold Shoulder

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Patch 1.2.1 Cold Shoulder

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:03 am

TomCat86 wrote:As a new player who cant even make clothing yet, because the research and ingredient pathing is a bit, asinine. This freezing is a bit much. The tooltips are lacking info, there is no formal tech tree indicating what research is next in line, what ingredients you need, where they are, what you need to prepare them and so forth. The game over complicates very simple common sense mechanics, and leaves out the most basic tooltip information. I understand the team is small, but tool tips should be done before anymore features are added. Without clarity, you have chaos. When you have chaos, its a chore and waste of time. Its probably not as harsh on veterans because they have whats already required to stave off certain features, already have communities set up and so fourth. To a new player, this games mechanics and inception is very off putting. That aside, the game has great potential, which I do hope is utilized and makes this game great. There are more ways to skin a cat than just one, this is true for many instances that should be carried over to in game. But alas, more often than not, this is not so in this game. Fire/light/hot objects/food, map position, biome should all influence heat/cold. Also, why can a turkey knock out a full grown human in 2 hits? This is insane regardless of you just starting the game, yet a rattle snake bite can be constantly staved off by eating things? I understand the need to scale combat and damage, but please add some realism and add specifically more dangerous creatures and remove turkeys and things of that like from the danger category. Also, why on earth can you not pick up a branch, rock, or sharpened stick and use them as weapons?

Buddy, i'd like to offer my advice.
This game aint for you.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby saltmummy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:43 am

TomCat86 wrote:As a new player who cant even make clothing yet, because the research and ingredient pathing is a bit, asinine. This freezing is a bit much. The tooltips are lacking info, there is no formal tech tree indicating what research is next in line, what ingredients you need, where they are, what you need to prepare them and so forth. The game over complicates very simple common sense mechanics, and leaves out the most basic tooltip information. I understand the team is small, but tool tips should be done before anymore features are added. Without clarity, you have chaos. When you have chaos, its a chore and waste of time. Its probably not as harsh on veterans because they have whats already required to stave off certain features, already have communities set up and so fourth. To a new player, this games mechanics and inception is very off putting. That aside, the game has great potential, which I do hope is utilized and makes this game great. There are more ways to skin a cat than just one, this is true for many instances that should be carried over to in game. But alas, more often than not, this is not so in this game. Fire/light/hot objects/food, map position, biome should all influence heat/cold. Also, why can a turkey knock out a full grown human in 2 hits? This is insane regardless of you just starting the game, yet a rattle snake bite can be constantly staved off by eating things? I understand the need to scale combat and damage, but please add some realism and add specifically more dangerous creatures and remove turkeys and things of that like from the danger category. Also, why on earth can you not pick up a branch, rock, or sharpened stick and use them as weapons?

Just gonna borrow this from Heff.
Heffernan wrote:Image
Darwoth wrote:you know, cause they were obviously fascist white supremacist burrito nazis.

I had a great dream where I was a handsome skeleton in a tower.
saltmummy

Postby Darwoth » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:03 am

ice shards should be made into blue paving for the massive number of salem players that will be wishing to express pro american sentiment in the days ahead
Darwoth

Postby TomCat86 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:01 pm

ZoddAlmighty wrote:

Buddy, i'd like to offer my advice.
This game aint for you.

So cute. This game isnt for anyone apparently other than fanboys who chase new potential revenue away by keeping a game broken. If this game is to ever get popular, these forums need to be rid of the trolls and the game needs to be improved. But what do I know. I have seen this happen time and time again. So my advice to you is, if you like the game, STFU and try to improve it or watch it fizzle out of existence. Even unit pathing and combat in this game is atrocious.
TomCat86

Postby TomCat86 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:16 pm

saltmummy wrote:

Just gonna borrow this from Heff.
Heffernan wrote:Image

The responses here give credence that the maturity of this very very small player base, is equal to sponge bob. "Someone provides valid feeback to something I don't want fixed. Quick send a crying meme because I lack maturity and counter argument."
TomCat86

Postby Paradoxyc » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Hopefully Devs give new characters a two hour ingame period of "warmth" or something
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby Kandarim » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:34 pm

TomCat86 wrote:The responses here give credence that the maturity of this very very small player base, is equal to sponge bob. "Someone provides valid feeback to something I don't want fixed. Quick send a crying meme because I lack maturity and counter argument."

All we take away from your post is: "the temperature mechanic is too harsh".
An entire wall of text to get that message across does imply some tears.

There's an NPC in Providence whose sole purpose is pointing players towards the forums were:
- you can ask question about mechanics, many of which are intentionally kept obscure.
- you can find more seasoned players for who items you need are likely leftover and throw-away. Just ask and we can probably solve your problem for a handful of silver. Or nothing: one or two players have previously handed out free newbie packages.

As to temperature, all problems could be resolved if fires had a right-click "warm yourself" option (as no doubt has been proposed before). Proposing a solution if you are crying about a mechanic goes a long way.

NB: don't expect perfect realism from a game that lets you punch a bear to death with an candy cane or lets you mistake a fallen tree log for a huge salami.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Rifmaster » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:42 pm

Kandarim wrote:or lets you mistake a fallen tree log for a huge salami.

Wait what
Rifmaster

Postby firefox2026 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:44 pm

I was thinking about coming back and of course had some problems with my machine locking up and ran out of time before my toon got frozen. :(

So I don't seem to be having any luck thawing my toon out I put 4 fires around him and one fireplace thinking maybe that would work better. I still haven't' gotten him unfrozen. I don't know anybody would give help tell me how to thaw out character before it dies? :(
firefox2026

Postby Rifmaster » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:45 pm

firefox2026 wrote:I was thinking about coming back and of course had some problems with my machine locking up and ran out of time before my toon got frozen. :(

So I don't seem to be having any luck thawing my toon out I put 4 fires around him and one fireplace thinking maybe that would work better. I still haven't' gotten him unfrozen. I don't know anybody would give help tell me how to thaw out character before it dies? :(

I think you need to tinder drill him, dont know tho.
Rifmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements