Salem Customer Rewards

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Salem Customer Rewards

Postby DeepSixed » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:35 am

Dallane wrote:
Taipion wrote:Therefore I would prefer more sophisticated means of identifying one PC

How would they do this?

Stick with source of payment... paypal or credit card... or what?

There's only so many real, legit sources of payment...
DeepSixed

Postby Norelieth » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:52 am

I don't like the Paypal. I would already have bought something in the shop with another method of paiement, both for the nice tools I could get and for supporting the team of devs. Hope we could have a choice for other ways to pay.
Pour être heureux, vivons cachés.
Norelieth

Postby Kralith » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:41 am

I don't understand this debate about how many gifts a single player will get and how to solve an possible Alt Abuse.
It sounds a bit jealous.

I think it is a nice idea to give out such gifts like the valentine hearts.
But i also think it should not be a normal things to get gifts in a regularly way just because someone spent "a dollar" on the shop.

My sense for giving money in shop is always a decision to appreciate the Devs.
I don't spent hundreds of dollars once, just to receive special items or orange names, because getting gifts is not the reason for my decision.
I like it more to decide, what i need and then to buy these, always with a view to a regulary support to the Devs.

The promise to get a gift regulary would lead into the feeling, this is nothing special anymore.
But a gift should be always something special.
If Devs decide to give every player a gift or just some few special, then they can do it.
And it does not matter what basis of the decision leads to a gift, there will ever be people who try to abuse it.

If our (virtual) world would be a nice one, then every player would appreciating instead of abusing it.
But our world, not even the virtual one, seems not to be nice.

Therefor i can not emphasize this enough, thanks JC and Marp for your Love into that amazing game.
Salem Wiki (PM me if you need help with editing)
Report corrections and new things here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kralith
Customer

Postby NeiroShop » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:50 am

Kralith wrote:
If our (virtual) world would be a nice one, then every player would appreciating instead of abusing it.

Therefor i can not emphasize this enough, thanks JC and Marp for your Love into that amazing game.

If only the rest of the world was the same as you Lith ^^ im sure itd be quite a bit better place.

On topic: Dont mind this. But yeh if anything add in a 1 dollar item. "I <3 MM" Sign you can hold in your hand. Does nothing but looks awesome.
NeiroShop

Postby Heffernan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:52 am

NeiroShop wrote:
Kralith wrote:

If only the rest of the world was the same as you Lith ^^ im sure itd be quite a bit better place.

On topic: Dont mind this. But yeh if anything add in a 1 dollar item. "I <3 MM" Sign you can hold in your hand. Does nothing but looks awesome.

i guess marp wouldnt mind adding a "I ❤ Marp" sign
Heffernan

Postby Argentis » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:27 am

Well I didn't want my first post after my "absence" to be a QQ claim but I feel like it will harm Salem in the long way. As a long time player (or ex-player I guess but still supporting the game), I have no problem with your idea even though I won't benefit from it personally (I used to buy packs from players not from the store). It's all for the support of the game.
Yet I feel like that most new players won't see it that way. Most new players (and even some old ones) will only see that as a pay-to-win. We've discussed at length in many threads whether or not Salem is pay-to-win (my opinion remains unchanged, if a game offers any item that offers any advantage in the game for real money then it is. Regardless whether or not you can acquire that item through other means. But I'd rather have that to fund the game than a monthly fee) and I do think it harms the game if it is considered as pay-to-win though it is needed for the game but is currently somewhat disguised as you can acquire the store items through trade.
You will never be able to acquire those Customer Rewards by hard work only in the game (and hard work should be rewarded, shouldn't it?). It's very much Premium Salem as someone mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, it does fix the problem at hand but it's like fixing a leak with duct tape. It holds for a while and then tears off with an even bigger mess. You did said that it might be a temporary solution and I hope it will be.

My suggestions:

1/ Forbid the use of undeclared alts and allows alts accounts only if they are declared and attached to a main account which will only be able to receive the nice gifts.

Pros: Would fix the problem. No pay-to-win issue. Would allow to balance the use of alts and even limit them (less alts = more QQ when they die muahah).

Cons: Hard to implement, hard to monitor people (I would guess).

2/ Make them Beta Testers Reward only. Only accounts created before a chosen date are eligible to receive gifts.

Pros: Easy to implement.

Cons: Wouldn't really solve the issue as many alts accounts were created a long time ago. Also new players wouldnt receive any rewards which would suck for them.

3/ Only accounts with X+ hours (hidden value to avoid cheating) of play are eligible. You could make it so after each gift X+ hours (total) are needed again to receive the gift. Example: I'm a new player that just started playing. I hit the requirement in time to get a gift and the server crashes. JC decides to give a gift to everyone. I receive the gift. I stop playing for a month and JC delivered many gifts but I didn't receive any because I only played Xhours+1 and I needed 2Xhours to receive a second gift.

Pros: Easy to implement would solve the issue. Only reward hard-workers.

Cons: Hard to implement? (I really don't know if it would be) Would still be possible to get alts to receive gifts though it would be harder.

4/ Make it an ingame item that you can put in your bank (only item to be able to go into the bank). You get one every time you do a purchase 20$ + that you can sell on the market.

Pros: Would fix the issue somewhat.

Cons: Still pay to win, I would presume people would hoard those make it virtually impossible for non-customer players to get them.

Well anyway, you can start lynching me now ¦] .
Argentis

Postby Dallane » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Argentis wrote:Well I didn't want my first post after my "absence" to be a QQ claim but I feel like it will harm Salem in the long way. As a long time player (or ex-player I guess but still supporting the game), I have no problem with your idea even though I won't benefit from it personally (I used to buy packs from players not from the store). It's all for the support of the game.
Yet I feel like that most new players won't see it that way. Most new players (and even some old ones) will only see that as a pay-to-win. We've discussed at length in many threads whether or not Salem is pay-to-win (my opinion remains unchanged, if a game offers any item that offers any advantage in the game for real money then it is. Regardless whether or not you can acquire that item through other means. But I'd rather have that to fund the game than a monthly fee) and I do think it harms the game if it is considered as pay-to-win though it is needed for the game but is currently somewhat disguised as you can acquire the store items through trade.
You will never be able to acquire those Customer Rewards by hard work only in the game (and hard work should be rewarded, shouldn't it?). It's very much Premium Salem as someone mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, it does fix the problem at hand but it's like fixing a leak with duct tape. It holds for a while and then tears off with an even bigger mess. You did said that it might be a temporary solution and I hope it will be.

My suggestions:

1/ Forbid the use of undeclared alts and allows alts accounts only if they are declared and attached to a main account which will only be able to receive the nice gifts.

Pros: Would fix the problem. No pay-to-win issue. Would allow to balance the use of alts and even limit them (less alts = more QQ when they die muahah).

2/ Make them Beta Testers Reward only. Only accounts created before a chosen date are eligible to receive gifts.

Cons: Wouldn't really solve the issue as many alts accounts were created a long time ago. Also new players wouldnt receive any rewards which would suck for them.

3/ Only accounts with X+ hours (hidden value to avoid cheating) of play are eligible. You could make it so after each gift X+ hours (total) are needed again to receive the gift. Example: I'm a new player that just started playing. I hit the requirement in time to get a gift and the server crashes. JC decides to give a gift to everyone. I receive the gift. I stop playing for a month and JC delivered many gifts but I didn't receive any because I only played Xhours+1 and I needed 2Xhours to receive a second gift.

Cons: Hard to implement? (I really don't know if it would be) Would still be possible to get alts to receive gifts though it would be harder.

4/ Make it an ingame item that you can put in your bank (only item to be able to go into the bank). You get one every time you do a purchase 20$ + that you can sell on the market.

Cons: Still pay to win, I would presume people would hoard those make it virtually impossible for non-customer players to get them.

All bad and fix nothing
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby NeiroShop » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Dallane wrote:
Argentis wrote:
Well I didn't want my first post after my "absence" to be a QQ claim but I feel like it will harm Salem in the long way. As a long time player (or ex-player I guess but still supporting the game), I have no problem with your idea even though I won't benefit from it personally (I used to buy packs from players not from the store). It's all for the support of the game.

My suggestions:

All bad and fix nothing

I'd have to agree with Dallane. If anything, Link a bank account like they do on those silly facebook games when you create a account and voila. However im sure you're one of those that never would pay or link a bank account etc so itd be the same.

Im more in favor of the current way of decreasing the list of people to get a gift.
NeiroShop

Postby Tulgarath » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:14 pm

I use my PayPal for the family, but I'm OK with buying something small on each account to flag them as customers.

$1.99 for effectively a lifetime sub, where the sub perk is special in game items for holidays and events. The items are 99% cosmetic, usually with a low number of slots. Hardly pay to win.
Tulgarath

Postby Argentis » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:08 pm

NeiroShop wrote:
Dallane wrote:
Argentis wrote:

My suggestions:

All bad and fix nothing

I'd have to agree with Dallane. If anything, Link a bank account like they do on those silly facebook games when you create a account and voila. However im sure you're one of those that never would pay or link a bank account etc so itd be the same.

Im more in favor of the current way of decreasing the list of people to get a gift.

No I would not but I'm not mad at all about the concept as presented by JC (I don't care if I'll never be in the gift list ;p). I'm just pointing out the risks that this system may pose in the future notably concerning the public perception of the game.
Argentis

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements