Salem Customer Rewards

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Salem Customer Rewards

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:14 pm

To be fair the cheapest thing in our store right now is $1.99 no? But while I am sensitive to the monetization concept the simple truth is it just lets us parse who is a real account and who is one of the thousands of spam accounts created for no other purpose but than some kind of spam.

This kind of thought process and technology also lets us begin tampering with referral gifts in the future. I.E. if you refer a player who downloads the game and then later gets added to the customer list you too receive some nice thing etc. etc.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby T0ne » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Do you guys ever do sales or bundle type deals? Might be nice to run a little promotion of sort alongside changes/patches like this. Buy X get a % off off a silver purchase or something along those lines, as someone who has been on the fence about making a purchase this would definitely help me make up my mind.
T0ne

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:31 pm

T0ne wrote:Do you guys ever do sales or bundle type deals? Might be nice to run a little promotion of sort alongside changes/patches like this. Buy X get a % off off a silver purchase or something along those lines, as someone who has been on the fence about making a purchase this would definitely help me make up my mind.

We try to do a sale 1-2 times a year. But we try not to make it all that frequent as I feel it generally undermines the 'value' of the goods when players can wait and know they will go on sale 'often'.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby black89hawk » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:26 pm

thanks jc
may I ask about store we want in future to add more options store like cashu and other banks online
like we in eastren we not using visa or master card much not like you there in westren
so will be great if you add these cash store online
this game have good famous between online games
alot of online games accept cashu and other online payment not just visa or mastercard
black89hawk

Postby Taipion » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:23 pm

I cant see how this would work...

How I motivated countless other people to spend real cash by offering them ingame goods and cash for their money is not evaluated in this, kinda sad.
For myself, I got a blue name but will be excluded from all further gifts, well, that's ok I guess, they have not been really thaaaat good ever. :lol:

On the other hand, people like Heff will simply make another account for every single purchase as you probably only go by account and not payment data, right? ¦]

A professional approach would be, to group accounts by IP or mac adress or whatever, whereas you dont even need super smart algorithms to merge/evaluate data over long time and prevent (incredibly unlikely) false positives.
I know this can be evaded, but the effort needed to do so in larger quantity ...I'd say who'd does that deserves a present or two more.
The way you do it just looks like you want more cash. :P
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby honeymilk » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:53 pm

Even IP addresses would have its flaws since one line can have multiple users, I am only playing with my husband and we share everything so I would be all ok with that method. But other situations where players do not share everything it would cause issues again. But it might be better than going after the customer group.

I do understand how the rewards/gifts or whatever needs a system, but some people can't afford 1.99 on a game- no matter how little that will make it or break it for me, It might be the money you need for bread that week.
honeymilk
Customer

Postby Dallane » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:59 pm

Also whats to stop people from changing their IPs? Or even Macs for that matter.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Taipion » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:42 am

Dallane wrote:Also whats to stop people from changing their IPs? Or even Macs for that matter.

Taipion wrote:A professional approach would be, to group accounts by IP or mac adress or whatever, whereas you dont even need super smart algorithms to merge/evaluate data over long time and prevent (incredibly unlikely) false positives.
I know this can be evaded, but the effort needed to do so in larger quantity ...I'd say who'd does that deserves a present or two more.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Taipion » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:49 am

honeymilk wrote:Even IP addresses would have its flaws since one line can have multiple users, I am only playing with my husband and we share everything so I would be all ok with that method. But other situations where players do not share everything it would cause issues again. But it might be better than going after the customer group.

I do understand how the rewards/gifts or whatever needs a system, but some people can't afford 1.99 on a game- no matter how little that will make it or break it for me, It might be the money you need for bread that week.

Well, I'd doubt someone who can afford to play salem for a few hours each week can't afford 2$ once, maybe I am wrong here but it hope not.

On the IP thing, yea, using mac adress instead or a small fingerprint of the PC would be better, yet some people might say that's too much in terms of personal data n stuff and yea it still can be evaded if you know how,
but after all there ARE ....MUCH....better ways to determine the distribution of gifts than using payment data.

If JC says he needs the money, and they are now only offering "gifts" to paying customers, that's totally OK.
(It's kicking some players in the nuts and putting salem management in a bad light, but maybe that is just what JC wants, so whatever.)
What is not OK is saying you need/want to do it this way because of reasons, that's just not right.
Taipion

Postby Dallane » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:26 am

Taipion wrote:
Dallane wrote:Also whats to stop people from changing their IPs? Or even Macs for that matter.

Taipion wrote:A professional approach would be, to group accounts by IP or mac adress or whatever, whereas you dont even need super smart algorithms to merge/evaluate data over long time and prevent (incredibly unlikely) false positives.

Yes, I'm aware of what you typed. I should of quoted you instead of going with the flow of a conversation since it was mostly a response to you. Changing your IP/MAC isn't anything special and would happen if they used your idea. There is ZERO effort in this. Essentially you just re-created the same problem and taught a few people how to be a script kiddie. If he did go with that idea then he shouldn't of announced it as people wouldn't be aware of how rewards were being given out and this would be much more successful.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements