Salem V1.1.7 Couch Potato

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Salem V1.1.7 Couch Potato

Postby MarpTarpton » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:51 pm

salemwutwut wrote:no scarecrow item, lol... logged in to another farm trashed... the precedent this is making makes me pessimist about what's next

The idea that the scarecrow is p2w is absurd. You don't need agriculture to win Salem, there are too many other food groups that don't rely on it even slightly that would allow you the luxury of advancement just as much. Does the scarecrow remove the annoyance of having to use extra seeds or go chase crows? Yup, absolutely. But people who are not annoyed are not necessarily winning.

We intend to release another Scarecrow, for those of you who have lately been fertilizing your crops with tears. However, I don't think you'll like it very much.
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
MarpTarpton
Site Admin

Postby Judaism » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:00 pm

I have never relied upon farms on Providence. However, I do not understand why they yet implement more annoying mechanics. In my point of view, we already have way too many new reasons to keep away a huge chunk of people.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby MaxPlanck » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:01 pm

MarpTarpton wrote:
salemwutwut wrote:no scarecrow item, lol... logged in to another farm trashed... the precedent this is making makes me pessimist about what's next

The idea that the scarecrow is p2w is absurd. You don't need agriculture to win Salem, there are too many other food groups that don't rely on it even slightly that would allow you the luxury of advancement just as much. Does the scarecrow remove the annoyance of having to use extra seeds or go chase crows? Yup, absolutely. But people who are not annoyed are not necessarily winning.

We intend to release another Scarecrow, for those of you who have lately been fertilizing your crops with tears. However, I don't think you'll like it very much.

Plan on having the scarecrow cover the radius of one field? Time to raise a scarecrow army, or y'know, people can just scare the crows away themselves and I guess if people really don't want to build a bunch of scarecrows they can make an alt that sits afk around their fields just so the area is always loaded and crows can't even spawn. C'mon now guys, think outside the box.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Reviresco » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:03 pm

Are crows more of a multi-person town problem? I've yet to login to a crow on my fields. I'm a hermit, though.
Reviresco

Postby Kandarim » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:06 pm

they definitely are more of an annoyance to towns than hermits.
My fields are never loaded when i'm not around to chase crows (and I have scarecrows now anyway), but in a town your fields are constnatly getting loaded and crows spawned on them by people that are not necessarily paying attention/bothering with your fields. A major annoyance in towns.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby salemwutwut » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:35 pm

well, it's good to know where the game is going, so i can adjust my expectations accordingly... i provided my arguments, you provided semantics basically... terrible to see this change from springs shop item to this scarecrow thing... it's a huge step in another direction
salemwutwut

Postby Tulgarath » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:16 pm

MarpTarpton wrote:

Don't forget to add something shiny on a stick for us to add near enemy fields so that we can ATTRACT crows to fields. :)
Tulgarath

Postby tatertot18 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Tulgarath wrote:
MarpTarpton wrote:

Don't forget to add something shiny on a stick for us to add near enemy fields so that we can ATTRACT crows to fields. :)

Patch notes - Crab on a stick to attract flocks of crows that attack if you try to remove it...
tatertot18

Postby tatertot18 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:33 pm

MarpTarpton wrote:

For me the p2w view is that the only counter for crows, aside from living in your fields, is that you purchase a shop item. Again, as others have stated we are okay with shop items being the most powerful version of something or providing an extra bonus (garden shovel), but at least give us crappy regular scarecrows with ridiculously rare ingredients and a range of 4 fields so we can provide tears for harvest while protecting our crops.
tatertot18

Postby Kandarim » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:57 pm

while I do agree that scarecrows being a cash-store only purchase is not the direction i want this game to go (obvious cash grab), for hermits just chasing the crows away is pretty viable. I did it for a couple of days before I got around to buying the scarecrows, and it wasn't too bad. Just make sure you always leave a character within rendering range, or you'll respawn them everytime you come near them again (in my case, after being in my mine for a bit).
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements