Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Postby Darwoth » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:25 am

that base is stupid easy dude, even for the timeframe.

i broke through around 11 or so brazier covered stone walls on an 80ish stat piece of **** in a single night by myself a few months before that on plymouth the first time i wiped out godtuwn (the writeup of which was what got you interested in playing the game in the first place) the extra manpower in that raid would offset the extra brazier coverage.

also been so long i may he hazy, but looks like splash was present during that raid due to the edges of the hole being damages.


either way though... no tree walls, no plank, no brazier concentrations so thick you could hardly move, no bases so sprawling you cant see even halfway to the middle from the outside etc. like there was on JT and i am sure roanoke (although roanoke people were so ***** they let that russian town with all the legacy humus sit for a year unmolested so who knows ;) )
Image
User avatar
Darwoth
 
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:11 pm
Location: Everywhere

Re: Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:27 am

BTW for those interested in History. here is the thread that was being referenced.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3934&hilit=mushiville&start=50#p45116

A fairly nice documentation of history when sieges would take 5-10 players 30+ Hours to raid. Granted, I don't think that could be considered the "Funnest" times in Salem's raiding history. But it does show a nice contrast for those who would think we are somehow in the darkest days for raiders. I have not seen or witnessed an account where any one existing faction or group of raiders has had to, or maintained, 36 straight hours of brazier fire and assault on a town.

Perhaps its just a demographic of players that no longer exist. Either way,,,,, history.

Darwoth wrote:stuff


This was pre-splash but post wall & Brazier buff. When sieges were literally 50+ crime debuffs or more to get through a place. If I recall you could get about 7% on a wall per crime run off (crime run offs being about an hour). Causing maybe 15 runs (15 hours) per wall segment. Of course with multiple people draining you could try to improve those numbers. But still completely absurd that a handful of walls represented hundreds of man hours just on the breach, let alone turning all the braziers off.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
User avatar
JohnCarver
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6826
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:02 am

Re: Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Postby HolyLight » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:15 am

The hardest part of putting up multipul layer stone walls back in the day was grinding the granite in the desert and porting it back 24 at a time using 2 people. That was almost 20-30% of the time taken to construct the walls.

Once you had the granite, and stockpiled a few thousand dross in signposts from running 10 smelters, you could put thousands of wall segments together very quickly.

The wall in that picture is about 2 maybe 3 solid days work for a dedicated hermit, that would include making all the braziers as well. Taking note the physical construction of the wall only taking a few hours, most of the time in them days would be collecting materials. (Taking into account you made 100 coal piles previously and were ready for harvesting)
User avatar
HolyLight
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:45 pm

Re: Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Postby Dallane » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:14 pm

JohnCarver wrote:BTW for those interested in History. here is the thread that was being referenced.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3934&hilit=mushiville&start=50#p45116

A fairly nice documentation of history when sieges would take 5-10 players 30+ Hours to raid. Granted, I don't think that could be considered the "Funnest" times in Salem's raiding history. But it does show a nice contrast for those who would think we are somehow in the darkest days for raiders. I have not seen or witnessed an account where any one existing faction or group of raiders has had to, or maintained, 36 straight hours of brazier fire and assault on a town.

Perhaps its just a demographic of players that no longer exist. Either way,,,,, history.

Darwoth wrote:stuff


This was pre-splash but post wall & Brazier buff. When sieges were literally 50+ crime debuffs or more to get through a place. If I recall you could get about 7% on a wall per crime run off (crime run offs being about an hour). Causing maybe 15 runs (15 hours) per wall segment. Of course with multiple people draining you could try to improve those numbers. But still completely absurd that a handful of walls represented hundreds of man hours just on the breach, let alone turning all the braziers off.


The ONLY reason it took 36+ hours is because they spent 8 hours breaking through 5+ layers of walls and we spent 30 seconds to repair all of them. The old system would of been perfect if splash and current repair mechanics were in.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
User avatar
Dallane
Moderator
 
Posts: 15068
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Postby Darwoth » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:56 pm

one of the core problems is JC is so used to ***** newbs since his very first login he frequently forgets that many of the only people left are/were more knowledgeable about game play than he ever was, like when it was suggested to me with a straight face i should have a witch out cursing fields if the changes made raiding not possible.

just absolutely ridiculous out of bounds **** like that, to me no less. the guy that has done more **** with witchcraft by a long shot than anyone else in the game, and because that totally has anything at all to do with the subject matter at hand. it is why i have stopped even bothering with discussing ****.
Image
User avatar
Darwoth
 
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:11 pm
Location: Everywhere

Re: Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Postby Judaism » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Dallane wrote:The old system would of been perfect if splash and current repair mechanics were in.


Atleast a 100 times better than the current system where it will take you days to breach the first wall only, which ultimately won't get you anywhere in most cases. Risk huge characters and make it sound like a 95% death rate should be fine for criminals, if the harsh easy justice wasn't enough already. But then again, its quite obvious that JC has burried many core aspects of the game in favour of the carebears. Temporary servers to replace these old core aspects and wherever it stood for is just hilarious to begin with. I do think that most of us who have tried the expedtitions do regret it big time and are very unlikely to make such a big mistake ever again.

I myself am a huge supporter of the perma-death and risks Salem previously had to offer, even tho I do belong to the group of people that have lost the greatest amount of characters and bases over the recent years. This game was never suposed to be for a greater public, right now I do see very little reason to not compare it with your standard crafting game. PVE is not risky and PVP is just not occuring at all, serious raiding wasn't happening much either, actuall defending was even less of an issue due to the uncompetitive playerbase.

Darwoth wrote:like when it was suggested to me with a straight face i should have a witch out cursing fields if the changes made raiding not possible.


Yes, you can kill people with insanity structures, you can kill them with tickling, you can nuke their authority, you can hex their fields and so on.

They think that its okay to give up major hits in exchange for more minor hits, they probaly will come-up with more stuff such as lockpicking to try statisfy us, but they clearly seem to lack the understanding that stuff like that will be most likely quite pointless for the small group of people that currently dared to put some effort into confrontation. It most certainly won't keep me playing this game.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
User avatar
Judaism
Customer
 
Posts: 3881
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:51 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Postby Darwoth » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:56 pm

yeah pretty much, game is sliding into petty crime and annoying retard **** that a derp can partake in instead of complex faction warfare with a combination of dumb mechanics and increased time/grind requirement which was already absolutely absurd. the direction reminds me of way back in the day when the sims online first came out and myself and some other random folks from a variety of pk guilds had nothing else to play while waiting for shadowbane beta accounts so for the first few weeks before they closed all the permissions loopholes and what not we would run around stealing all the carebears furniture, getting their characters drowned in swimming pools and pissing all over their floor etc since the game had no pvp. was amusing. but only for a few hours a week until our beta keys came through.


what really pisses me off is that this series of changes did absolutely nothing to improve anything at all and killed what was shaping up to be the most fun series of conflicts the server had seen in over a half a year.
Image
User avatar
Darwoth
 
Posts: 8035
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:11 pm
Location: Everywhere

Re: Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Postby HolyLight » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Seems to me people endlessly speak as if the "pvp enhanced" server does not exist.

Has JC not made it clear enough that he wants the perma server to be a Carebear server? which requires HUGE investment to raid players? Much more than a 1 man Darwoth army could ever do, or even a 5 man zerg?

if you want hardcore pvp and easy raiding, head over to popham and reap the rewards of ending the server, why leaving your base almost 100% safe back on providence ?

Maybe give him some help on expanding the rewards and the win rules for its next restart? (Something he recently asked for)

You all know were the door is, just like everyone else.
User avatar
HolyLight
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:45 pm

Re: Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Postby Judaism » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:16 pm

The pvp enhanced server has never existed, even on Popham there only were three relevant groups: Gudtown, Cake and the Russians. (Most of those players have all quit and will most likely never return) It had absolutely nothing extra to offer and the fact that it was temporary made it a complete waste of time.

A pernament pvp enhanced server probaly would have my interest tho, not stuff like cannons but simply a much harsher game with no TBF's/TBC's and a place were raiding brick walls would under heavy fire would only take a friction of the current time would be pretty neat.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
User avatar
Judaism
Customer
 
Posts: 3881
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:51 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Salem V1.1.5 Jingle Bombs Adjusted

Postby HolyLight » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:18 pm

Judaism wrote:The pvp enhanced server has never existed, even on Popham there only were three relevant groups: Gudtown, Cake and the Russians. (Most of those players have all quit and will most likely never return) It had absolutely nothing extra to offer and the fact that it was temporary made it a complete waste of time.

A pernament pvp enhanced server probaly would have my interest tho, not stuff like cannons but simply a much harsher game with no TBF's/TBC's and a place were raiding brick walls would under heavy fire would only take a friction of the current time would be pretty neat.


Im sure at some point in the past, i suggested drawing a line, starting a whole new server, and leaving the previous server w/o updates and enhancing the newer servers and such more.

Maybe not said like that, but my point still stands.

Im sure 99% of the community hated the prospect.
User avatar
HolyLight
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests