For our new players

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

For our new players

Postby Enigmaz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:12 pm

Hello everyone!

As you might have noticed we sent out a large bunch of new keys to all current Salem players. This is the start of a large push of keys we're doing in collaboration with Roanoke and Jamestown being opened. Soon we will also push out keys via media sites like we did with Tentonhammer. This is an introduction message to all our new players to make your forum experience a little easier.

Welcome to the Salem forum!

My name is John and I am your community manager and connection with Paradox Interactive, the publishers of this game. You can call me that but I usually go by Moo or TM when chatting or being mentioned.
I am head of administrating this forum, along with overseeing the moderation.

We also have an active presence from our developers at SeaTribe. They go by the names jorb and loftar.

The moderation team and delegations as it stands right now consists of these moderators:

Announcements - TeckXKnight
City upon a Hill - staxjax & colesie
Help! - TBA
House of Burgesses - Potjeh
The Trade-Wind - staxjax & colesie
Planters & Pilgrims - TeckXKnight
Bugs & Tech - MagicManICT
Ideas & Innovations - Potjeh
Artifice & Arcana - MagicManICT

Please talk to them if you have concerns or questions about moderation in their specific subforums. I myself am head moderator of everything (best title ever) so of course all matters can be discussed with me too. A good thing to note is that moderators have a thing called moderation color. That means that when they write in green text they have their serious moderator hat on and you ought to listen. When they write in normal colors they are simply participating in the discussion. Another thing to know is that all moderators are volunteers as well as Salem gamers, so their opinions do not reflect the ones of Paradox nor SeaTribe.

The rules of our forum can be found here and are to be read and accepted by all members.

In the top of most subforums there are stuck threads, please read them before posting as they contain valuable information. Remember to search first before you start a new thread.

House of Burgesses and City upon a Hill are very leniently moderated and are the core areas for in-game and forum drama. Please consider this before you start posting and reading in there because tough skin may be required.

The Help! section is a very good place for most to start. There you will find a lot of useful links, guides and threads. Most matters and questions already have a thread so learn to love the search function. It's a little tricky to find so here's a link to global search.

In Ideas and Innovations you can bring up all your new ideas and fresh thoughts on the game, but some matters have been discussed indefinitely and are taboo to bring up again, the idea of removing permadeath being the big villain here.

(This is also the small announcement)
If you feel that you want a little boost in the start of the game you can visit our in-game store which is located at the top of this page. Here you can purchase silver for in-game needs along with a few pre-made packs of content. A lot more store bought items are going to be added as time goes.
These packs, being the Adventurer's, Fishermans's and Pioneer's are made to give new players a small boost without destroying the balance of the game. They contain a full and unique set of clothing, some tools and a magic piece of paper that instantly grants you a few set skills.

You can also buy English Snuff which helps you study faster for a little while and a Birth Certificate for those who feel they need a fresh start by sex-change.

The UI was recently re-made so most tutorials you find on YouTube are going to be slightly outdated -- but if you can look beyond that I highly recommend watching the videos from GamerZakh and Eegorevids to learn the ropes.

Now go and enjoy the game!

Regards,
John R
Enigmaz

Re: For our new players, also a small announcement

Postby TotalyMoo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:18 pm

You can also find the unofficial IRC at SynIRC #Salem
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:05 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:along with overlooking the moderation.

Not to nitpick on grammar and such, but the word you want is "overseeing"--to monitor or keep sight on something or someone. To overlook is to "look past", ignore, or didn't notice. :)
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Vibe » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:14 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:Hello everyone!

[i]As you might have noticed we sent out a large bunch of new keys to all current Salem players.

Is it possible that some keys are still in the sending process? I didn't receive a new key yet.
Vibe

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Make sure to check your spam folder for these and it can take a few hours for mass emails such as this to go out, so the server may still be in the process of sending them out.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby TotalyMoo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:39 pm

Oh *****, thanks for the heads up MagicMan.

I also forgot to add that we sent keys to the players who signed up for the original batch. Not people who got a key via tentonhammer or some other site like that.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

TotalyMoo

Postby joeslims » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:11 pm

May I ask how do you claim this new outfit?
joeslims

Postby greg0418 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:20 pm

joeslims wrote:May I ask how do you claim this new outfit?

if you bought the package go to the main town on your server and look for the postmaster. he will have a package waiting for you.
greg0418

Postby TotalyMoo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:03 pm

All accounts that registered before thanksgiving will receive one, most likely in the mailbox to be claimed. I reckon we'll send one to each account.

TotalyMoo

Postby Sevenless » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:48 am

*Snuffles sadly* No mention of my guide </3 Is k, did it myself \/
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Next

Return to Announcements