Patch Note Warning: V1.1.4

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Patch Note Warning: V1.1.4

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Here is a snip from the upcoming patch. Not only giving you a teaser of things to come. But also giving you fair warning to try to save your tree groves now before the bad guys of the world have their way with them. Its not going to be a long duration heads up... but some warning is better than none I suppose:

*New Defensive Siege Structure: Long-Range Mortar
While I like forcing y'all to explore things. I've decided to be a little generous with this implementation so that you get an idea of WHY YOU SHOULD HAVE THIS DEFENDING YOUR BASE. This is a long-range artillery structure which you can activate to launch objects over walls, buildings, and basically almost anywhere that you can see on your map you can lob something in that general direction. The duration of how long it takes for the bombs to reach their target is dependent on your Spark and Embers. So it is quite easy to see an incoming object launched from a 5 Sparks character and simply run outside of its radius. It is, however, much more difficult to dodge an object launched by a character with 1000 Sparks for example.

The effect of the MOrtar is dependent on what ammo you loaded it with AND what it actually lands on. Here are some highlights.

Anvils & Various metal objects Vs. Players cause the highest damage and highest amount of head trauma for new concussion effect(more on that later but concussion effects ruin a raiders ability to raid for several hours).

Herbpots vs. Players are also suprisingly effective.
Whittler Benches & other wooden objects Vs. Players does very little damage.

Metal Objects Vs. Trees is an easy way to deforest an area
*NOTE* This means that while this entire mechanic largely favours a defender. All mechanics meant to be largely defensive will find a way to become offensive as well. Your enemies will be able to lob bombs into your bases now and this means your tree groves, fruit tree groves, and whatever other beautiful trees you have will be at risk of death even if they don't break in. The 'solution' here is that players make an effort to keep their trees (and themselves) out of viewing distance from the outside of their walls OR push their claims out so that enemies may not easily build these artillery mortars directly outside their base.

P.S. The wood choppings that shard off from blown up trees cause shrapnel that extend the blast radius of said bomb even further if a player is in range of a tree that was exploded.

Any Object Vs. Trial By Fire & Trial By Combat:
Does Damage to it. Thus players can donut, and wall around their TbF and TbC's still. However, if a player can 'see' where that is then they can simply build a long-range artillery mortar and blow it to pieces (assuming the person who built it is not waiting for you to try and rushes and kills both you and your mortar).

New Wall Type
As your reach into the greater realms of gluttony increases, so we have been developing a new grade of wall to help keep the baddest of baddies at bay. It will function with the same wall mechanics currently in the game, it will just be one tier stronger.

In Conclusion,
Just about everything you can pick up in your base can now be loaded into a mortar and blasted at your aggressors. If you are going to go down with the ship anyway, might as well go out with a blast :). IN all serious, this is a small attempt of probably several to make 'conflict' in this game slightly more skill-based as well as a more 'active' competition that doesn't boil down to if the raiders have enough biles to get in, or not. Active defending will be at an all-time high after this in terms of value and aggressive attacking will be looked at shortly after to evaluate as well. The general consensus is that I do not mind if it is 'hard' or 'takes time' to raid and ruin somebodies day. I will instead be evaluating if there are small measures that can be taken to make the time spent doing that more 'fun'. I would argue the need to spend 12 hours to raid a base is far less of an 'issue' if those 12 hours are a fun system based more around skills and actions than sitting around drinking tea.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Re: Patch Note Warning: V1.1.4

Postby Heffernan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:08 pm

does this damage walls or defensive things? Braziers/Torches?
Heffernan

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:08 pm

Heffernan wrote:does this damage walls or defensive things? Braziers/Torches?

No. Its a defensive siege weapon.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Heffernan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:12 pm

i cant imagine attacking a town and then get hit by a Flying Anvil, this is the most lol'worthy thing in the last few months, thanks for it.
Heffernan

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Fun Fact: Flying Anvils were the first building implemented as ammo :).

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Nsuidara » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:13 pm

JohnCarver wrote:

what you mean ?

i can use this weapon for destroy wall ? or i can in home use this weapon ?
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:14 pm

This weapon only does things at the moment to people, trees, and Trial By Fire/Combat. Meaning that its far more beneficial for a defender than an attacker.

Oh... And you cannot move it.... So attackers would not be carting them around, you would instead have strategically placed ones in your bases guarding the areas you don't want raiders to get into.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Kralith » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:14 pm

Sounds really interesting.
But how do you prevent, that a Aggressor Town not use the same mechanic?

Aunt Edit means: Hey Lith you have to wait, the answer was still pending ;)
Last edited by Kralith on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salem Wiki (PM me if you need help with editing)
Report corrections and new things here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kralith
Customer

Postby Heffernan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:15 pm

Nsuidara wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:

what you mean ?

i can use this weapon for destroy wall ? or i can in home use this weapon ?

this weapon can NOT destroy any wall or Brazier or Torchposts, only damage

players
Trees
Trial by Fire / Trial by Combat

and i suppose it also cant permakill. (JC?)

also JC u said u would NEVER add siege weapons that damage walls as it would destabilize combat, u still in on that?
Last edited by Heffernan on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heffernan

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:15 pm

Kralith wrote:Sounds really interesting.
But how do you prevent, that a Aggressor Town not use the same mechanic?

You hide deep inside your base or a mine. But really you should be out there firing back on them with your own Long-Range mortar.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Next

Return to Announcements