A New Forum Group

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

A New Forum Group

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:13 pm

As a new way to inspire competition and camaraderie in Salem: The Forum Game, John and I have decided to add a new group and a few special ranks to the forums. This new group will be the Profession Masters (unless I think of a better name for it) and will include the 15 players who have the highest or near highest of each Proficiency in Salem. You must be active to qualify for this group.

Benefits include access to the 33 degrees forum where you will join those already there. You will also have the ear of the devs in your chosen profession more-so than most players. We have noticed that those who spend a great deal of time grinding up and specializing in one aspect of the Salem profession system tend to have unique insights into it. The position also comes with a beautiful blue name and an appropriate rank displayed beneath your username. You can also suggest a new name for your rank if you like. Some of the current ranks are working titles and may be changed anyway.

This position also comes with some responsibilities. You will be expected to have ideas about improving Tailoring if you are the Master Tailor, or improving Alchemy, if you are the Master Alchemist (Natural Philosophy). Obviously some of these positions will be more in need of good ideas than others, but they all need improvement, we think. This is your chance to improve the profession you love most in Salem.

Each Person may only hold one of the positions, and applications will be double-checked by John against proficiency numbers and activity logs in the case where we get more than one applicant for a profession. Once you have been approved for the position, you will be safe in it for at least 6 months until we do a reevaluation; you cannot be replaced just because someone else ground out a few extra profession points. This assumes you remain active. Players who cease playing, posting, following their chosen profession, or who fail to have any improvement ideas can be challenged and replaced early.

So, without further ado, the new ranks will be as follows:

Master Artisan - Arts & Crafts
Executioner - Cloak & Dagger
Cardinal of the Colonies - Faith & Wisdom
Nature Lover - Flora & Fauna
Master Carpenter - Hammer & Nail
The Greenest Thumb - Herbs & Sprouts
Child of Esau - Hunting & Hideworking
Master Trader - Law & Lore
Plymouth Rock - Mines & Mountains
Firestarter - Sparks & Embers
Master Farmer - Stocks & Cultivars
Renowned Chef - Sugar & Spice
Master Tailor - Thread & Needle
Master Alchemist - Natural Philosophy
Coven Leader - Perennial Philosophy

In order to protect the identity of the player with the highest PP in Salem, the name of the Coven Leader will not be blue and the title will not be displayed. They will also be given silent access to 33 in a special hidden group until such time as we reevaluate the 33 members, unless they turn out to be already a member.

Please send your applications to me using the forum account name you wish to have the rank/blue name. Please include the game account name that has the qualifying character on it, the character name that qualifies, the profession you are applying for, and how many points you have in the proficiency that qualifies you. I will be filtering and sending the applications on to John. Please don't sent them directly to John as he is currently in 'Patch Mode'.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Re: A New Forum Group

Postby Heffernan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:20 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:John is currently in 'Patch Mode'.

to point out the interesting part of it :P

anyway good thing to encourage, but might i ask what it is with PP? should only witches have high PP?
Heffernan

Postby Thor » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:24 pm

*slap*

Yes Heff.
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:24 pm

Yes, Perennial Philosophy is only really useful in Witchcraft and a few areas which we consider to be related to Witchcraft such as Mushroom Hunting. It isn't a secret that PP is the Witch's proficiency.

TotalyMeow

Postby Heffernan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:26 pm

also im watchin barney come in

*apply for all professions*

:P
Heffernan

Postby Lusewing » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:33 pm

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how this develops as well as being able to quickly recognize those people that can offer the best help in each of the different areas of Salem.
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby jakhollin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:34 pm

I have an interesting question about this. I honestly detest being pigeon holed into a position. (Example on Popham I was the group hunter got boring real fast but I did get some good insights into the mechanics and things that could improve it.) Since then I have been playing with multiple mechanics in the game and even timing things to see if the wiki times match appropriately. That being said the character that I do most of my work on and spend the most of my time on does not have a single profession high into the 200s or 300s but instead all of the professions at 100+ and some at 140+ give or take. So where to the players who know mechanics and understand the mechanics but are not focused on one thing fit in this? I was recently trying to push my my thread & needle much higher but have also been pushing a few other skills higher but still do not want to truly focus on one thing. I know I have not been playing as long as some of the others so it is difficult for me to compete with someone who has been playing since providence started and has pushed a skill up to dizzying heights so I don't expect to be recognized as knowledgeable since I do have a lot to learn still but where do the jack-of-all trades fit in this? Or is there even a fit for the person who does not conform to slave out for one proficiency and prefers to be able to do it all. To give you an idea of where I am at I find myself currently I am running out of potential skills I can even learn and the list keeps getting smaller for me. I think after that I will probably just be raising proficiency indiscriminately for the bonuses I prefer to have.
Last edited by jakhollin on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakhollin

Postby Heffernan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:35 pm

Lusewing wrote:I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how this develops as well as being able to quickly recognize those people that can offer the best help in each of the different areas of Salem.

seeing this as a new-player-helper is also nice and partly of why i applied since i love helping new players.
Heffernan

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:39 pm

jakhollin wrote:where do the jack-of-all trades fit in this?

33 currently contains over a dozen people who have consistently made good suggestions, found and reported bugs, and have tested and used a lot of the mechanics, and have fairly active play. I suppose that's where the jack-of-all-trades fits. Keep in mind, this isn't going to replace the Ideas thread or the people currently in 33; we want to get people thinking about professions and competing to be the best in each one, and coming up with new ideas in the process. If that's not your thing, I'm sure you're not alone.

TotalyMeow

Postby Claeyt » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:15 am

Hmmm, I'm probably way off in most of my characters, but can we get a guesstimate about how high we need to be to apply? Maybe we can get some basic numbers that we have to be above to apply so we don't all apply and force you to search through 300 applications?

Also, JC keeps talking about making 'Politician' a 'job' in Salem. He even asked me last fall for ideas. I know absolutely that I have the most characters kinned and most characters memorized in the game. Does that count for anything?

Edit: Also why not include 'Strongest Salemite' for the highest Biles, or 'Majestic Mayor' for being the mayor of the town with most unique accounts?
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Next

Return to Announcements