Dev Blog: Post Production Pondering

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Dev Blog: Post Production Pondering

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:34 pm

Procne wrote:I remember the time when we were assured that funds were secured for marketing of Salem. Yet, there was no marketing done except for players spamming other forums. Anyone saw any Salem ad anywhere?

And for some reason Salem landed in Steam Greenlight's software category, not in Games, which require 100$ entry fee.

Considered many other MM shenanigans which have surfaced in recent months I hold little faith in those promises and walls of text

If you really think that we saw almost 3,000 daily users without the mass infusion of funds then you sir are quite silly. I am quite sure I listed several places that we appeared as a featured ad, and we did indeed pay $100.00 to be listed in Steam Games Greenlight service. Their inability to handle any form of customer service request to have it moved has little bearing in measuring our efforts. Admittedly, we turned most the marketing off after 30 days due to simply poor returns (Post Production Accounts that we were spending upwards of $2.00 a user were spending on average 10% as much as veterans). While it is nice to know that we could spike the population to 3,000 daily users by simply throwing money at it, that chapter of our life is now over and we would much rather spend the same funds on content for those who are here than flashy ads for those who are not.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Kralith » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:20 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
Procne wrote:I remember the time when we were assured that funds were secured for marketing of Salem. Yet, there was no marketing done except for players spamming other forums. Anyone saw any Salem ad anywhere?

And for some reason Salem landed in Steam Greenlight's software category, not in Games, which require 100$ entry fee.

Considered many other MM shenanigans which have surfaced in recent months I hold little faith in those promises and walls of text

If you really think that we saw almost 3,000 daily users without the mass infusion of funds then you sir are quite silly. I am quite sure I listed several places that we appeared as a featured ad, and we did indeed pay $100.00 to be listed in Steam Games Greenlight service. Their inability to handle any form of customer service request to have it moved has little bearing in measuring our efforts. Admittedly, we turned most the marketing off after 30 days due to simply poor returns (Post Production Accounts that we were spending upwards of $2.00 a user were spending on average 10% as much as veterans). While it is nice to know that we could spike the population to 3,000 daily users by simply throwing money at it, that chapter of our life is now over and we would much rather spend the same funds on content for those who are here than flashy ads for those who are not.

Simply <3
Thanks JC for this words!
Salem Wiki (PM me if you need help with editing)
Report corrections and new things here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kralith
Customer

Postby Judaism » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:50 pm

JC is becomming a popular blogger it seems.

Good to see you back, my main reason to leech around the forums is now back aswell.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Kurundo » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:22 pm

Hey JC, glad to see you're back. I look forward to what you've got out there to make this game even more interesting.
The Leech Guy of H&H
Kurundo
Customer

Postby Brego » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:52 pm

what a shame,i was waiting some updates,something new and nothing..stupid community.
Madness
I would change everything in places, but to madness, I do not have enough strength
""I Love TRIBE ""
Tha Biddas "Dream Crusher"
Brego

Postby Taipion » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:10 pm

JC, even though, you know, I don`t agree with everything you do, it is good to have you back!

Over all those major things, please don`t forget that some little changes can go a long way too.
There are some small things that don`t give much reward but make Salem a chore for no reason, like the number of branches you need to put into a kiln, less of that kind of chore would make it much more enjoyable for everyone without breaking anything.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Procne » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:47 pm

JohnCarver wrote:

If you really think that we saw almost 3,000 daily users without the mass infusion of funds then you sir are quite silly.

I don't know what you saw, I have hard time believing the numbers at status page nowadays. With many old players returning, numerous threads made (by players) on other forums, and the simple fact of new server being created it's nothing strange there was an influx of players.
I am quite sure I listed several places that we appeared as a featured ad

You mean this? viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14499
Or this? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14222
Procne

Postby Judaism » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:28 am

Procne wrote:I don't know what you saw, I have hard time believing the numbers at status page nowadays. With many old players returning, numerous threads made (by players) on other forums, and the simple fact of new server being created it's nothing strange there was an influx of players.

Yeah, Haven Hafen had a much greater influx and I don´t think that they have done much advertisement. Also we are still dropping quite abit in the numbers every week, its good to see tho that they don't "really" care about that. Stubborn is one thing, I know its hard to admit when you have made a bad call, but I was hoping many months ago that they would undo some of those mistakes.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Tulgarath » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:43 am

I don't agree with all of the direction Salem has gone, but enough that I'm still here and prefer this game over any other. Taken a few breaks, but I invest when I can and no game has kept the family playing together longer. Thanks for the update.
Tulgarath

Postby Lazun123 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:54 am

Dear JohnCarver,

i love this game, if i could put my seed in it and make a baby i totally would!

sincerely yours,
Lazun123
WWJCD
Lazun123

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements