Dev Blog: Post Production Pondering

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Dev Blog: Post Production Pondering

Postby ToorimaKun » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:47 am

Judaism wrote:Stubborn is one thing, I know its hard to admit when you have made a bad call, but I was hoping many months ago that they would undo some of those mistakes.

i still have hope....... tho mostly because i don't want to see salem die.....
If you guys have questions about radar find me on steam, KiaKun.
sorry for the very late replies.... everyone i played salem with quit... and all my villages have been raided.
ToorimaKun

Postby er-queent8r » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:05 am

ToorimaKun wrote:
Judaism wrote:Stubborn is one thing, I know its hard to admit when you have made a bad call, but I was hoping many months ago that they would undo some of those mistakes.

You Care holy ****. All you do is ***** bash the game all over the forums then you have the nerve to say you care. I call ***** on you tool.
pietin1 wrote:this was for JC only not his ass lickers.

Proud to be a JC ass licker!
er-queent8r

Postby Dallane » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:15 am

er-queent8r wrote:
ToorimaKun wrote:

You Care holy ****. All you do is ***** bash the game all over the forums then you have the nerve to say you care. I call ***** on you tool.

You need to chill out. He only bashed madness which multiple devs have said they aren't happy with.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby ToorimaKun » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:38 am

Dallane wrote:You need to chill out. He only bashed madness which multiple devs have said they aren't happy with.

well madness is the MAJOR thing driving players away atm.... i do have other issues with the game.... but at least those most people find bearable...

i wouldn't still be playing salem all these years if i didn't care for the game.....
do to JCs first post here i think the best option would be a NORMAL(carebear) server and a HARDCORE server... the biggest problem here would be how to make it easy for people to see they can't buy the murder token for the normal server... since murder on this server would have to be actually unlocked.
sorry for the very late replies.... everyone i played salem with quit... and all my villages have been raided.
ToorimaKun

Postby er-queent8r » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:54 am

Dallane wrote:
er-queent8r wrote:
ToorimaKun wrote:

You need to chill out. He only bashed madness which multiple devs have said they aren't happy with.

No offense you Dallane but I think you missed a few posts when he was complaining about trees and bushes being bugged as well. It isn't just insanity Tool complains about it is everything.
pietin1 wrote:this was for JC only not his ass lickers.

Proud to be a JC ass licker!
er-queent8r

Postby Dallane » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:30 am

er-queent8r wrote:No offense you Dallane but I think you missed a few posts when he was complaining about trees and bushes being bugged as well. It isn't just insanity Tool complains about it is everything.

I read everything. He isn't saying anything bad. It takes ages for trees and bushes to respawn. He complains because he loves the game. He is giving actual feedback that he thinks would improve the game. Stop drinking the koolaid and get a opinion instead of jumping on the bandwagon to flame a guy. That thread would of been dead had you guys not kept **** posting for no reason.

If you want to bash Kia then keep it in his thread. Don't derail here
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Ofisat » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:34 pm

I am having a great time playing this game so far!
Ofisat
Customer

Postby jayt1990 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Good to see u back JC, i've been having a blast even without the updates but do look forward to seeing the ppgains and gluttony changes when they happen.
jayt1990
Customer

Postby Taipion » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:53 am

Dallane wrote:
er-queent8r wrote:No offense you Dallane but I think you missed a few posts when he was complaining about trees and bushes being bugged as well. It isn't just insanity Tool complains about it is everything.

I read everything. He isn't saying anything bad. It takes ages for trees and bushes to respawn. He complains because he loves the game. He is giving actual feedback that he thinks would improve the game. Stop drinking the koolaid and get a opinion instead of jumping on the bandwagon to flame a guy. That thread would of been dead had you guys not kept **** posting for no reason.

If you want to bash Kia then keep it in his thread. Don't derail here

That was unexpected! :lol:

Actually, madness, even though it is a good idea in general, and fitting for this game, is not very solid in its current implementation.
Things that are bad about madness, in my humble opinion:
1.) New players are prone to get at least 1-2 madness lvls before they find out it exists and how to deal with it.
2.) It's a pretty big step for any new player to get either enough tobacco (removing madness 1 with that takes a lot) or an item that needs a bear hide to craft.
3.) Even having madness 1 puts you at high(!) risk of losing any tools you use, effectively limiting that character to tasks that don't use tools, which is a very bad thing. (!) (!) (!)
4.) It is pretty much nonexistant for any experienced player if you halfway know what you do.
5.) It is though annoying, but in no way threatening to that character, nor is it lethal enough.

Right now, it's only is a problem for new players, or if you get stocked, I guess it was copied from "Don't Starve!" which would be a good thing in general, but as explained, the current implementation generates no ..."threatening" feeling as it simply does not do anything besides crippling and harassing newbies.

I would expect madness to be something that is constantly creeping behind you, no matter your stats/tech/experience and that needs to be dealth with (and could give rewards for doing so!).
For a new player, it would not necessarily be a bad thing if you die to madness and get a first experience of permadeath and inheritance, so long it does not end up in a way that most new players die repeatetly over and over again.

This could be "fun", but the crippling nature of even madness lvl 1 is ruining any potential this mechanic has.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby ToorimaKun » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:37 am

Taipion wrote:(and could give rewards for doing so!)..

while i agree an established player can deal with it pretty well.... gaining a madness level every 4 hours is a bit of an annoyance.
and yes.... in don't starve madness serves a purpose.... while in salem there is no reward or gain for a player dealing with this ****.... it is just strait up a tedious chore that benefits the game experience in no way.
ToorimaKun

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements