Dev Blog: Post Production Pondering

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Dev Blog: Post Production Pondering

Postby Kurundo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:23 am

I like madness as a mechanic. It's interesting, but unrefined. This game is still a work in progress and there's no need to jump the gun and throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'm certain there's going to be tweeks to madness in the future, hopefully a way to balance it out for new and older players. Perhaps we need to add a Dementia bar for older characters ¦]
The Leech Guy of H&H
Kurundo
Customer

Postby Taipion » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:50 am

ToorimaKun wrote:
Taipion wrote:(and could give rewards for doing so!)..

while i agree an established player can deal with it pretty well.... gaining a madness level every 4 hours is a bit of an annoyance.
and yes.... in don't starve madness serves a purpose.... while in salem there is no reward or gain for a player dealing with this ****.... it is just strait up a tedious chore that benefits the game experience in no way.

Study 10+ things every 1-2 hours and it is not even there at all.

Which, again, penalizes newer players more as they have less inspiration gain.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby ToorimaKun » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:08 am

Taipion wrote:Study 10+ things every 1-2 hours and it is not even there at all.

1st: there are a lot of people that don't want to study any thing because it raises their scalp score.... i don't want to paint a target on my char by getting a high scalp score.
2nd: even with a higher study gain being forced to study stuff every 4 hours is still more of a drain then the gain i get from black bile... again punishment for being active in game.
3rd: the lower end insperationals don't use as much insperation as higher insperationals a higher level player uses... but still even studying 10 things every 4 hours is more of a drain on insperation then my insperation regen.
4th: (and on topic) maybe you don't need to study 10 things?... but we don't know that because we can't see our damn insanity... why?.. oh because there is no reason... just because.... just like there is no reason for this whole mechanic.... it is pointless ***** *****.
If you guys have questions about radar find me on steam, KiaKun.
sorry for the very late replies.... everyone i played salem with quit... and all my villages have been raided.
ToorimaKun

Postby Kralith » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:27 am

ToorimaKun wrote:1st: there are a lot of people that don't want to study any thing because it raises their scalp score.... i don't want to paint a target on my char by getting a high scalp score.

Ha...ha...ha...ha...haha...ha...ha

You should discuss this in your own thread.
So, now back to topic.

When comes the update of the roadmap JC?
Salem Wiki (PM me if you need help with editing)
Report corrections and new things here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kralith
Customer

Postby Taipion » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:19 pm

ToorimaKun wrote:
Taipion wrote:Study 10+ things every 1-2 hours and it is not even there at all.

1st: there are a lot of people that don't want to study any thing because it raises their scalp score.... i don't want to paint a target on my char by getting a high scalp score.
2nd: even with a higher study gain being forced to study stuff every 4 hours is still more of a drain then the gain i get from black bile... again punishment for being active in game.
3rd: the lower end insperationals don't use as much insperation as higher insperationals a higher level player uses... but still even studying 10 things every 4 hours is more of a drain on insperation then my insperation regen.
4th: (and on topic) maybe you don't need to study 10 things?... but we don't know that because we can't see our damn insanity... why?.. oh because there is no reason... just because.... just like there is no reason for this whole mechanic.... it is pointless ***** *****.

I seriously don't know what you do, but if you are not logged in 24/7 and/or you get KOed frequently (=you lose inspiration when you do) then chances are you got enough inspiration to counter insanity completely.
IF you are such a hardcore player, then use alts so you don't have one char logged in 16h a day.

1.) No one can ever tell your scalp score until he scalps you. Sorry, my bad! Of course, JC can see your scalp score and lies there waiting to kill you as soon as you reach enough to make the loss painful.
Also, all "normal" players can get that info, too. All they need to do is trick you into telling them your scalp score. So, yes, very valid point of yours.
2.) For me, it is no additional work at all, it is actually good so I don't forget to use up my inspiration, and still I waste a lot of inspi on alts that I don't use as much.
3.) "lower" inspis are not restricted to low lvl players, neither are "high" inspis restricted to high lvl players, in fact, lower cost inspis are better for the purpose of lowering insanity as JC stated inspis remove 5-10 minutes worth of insanity per use, a "big" inspi that costs 10k+ must be less efficient for lowering insanity than a 1k inspi is.
Your sentence is unfortunately hard to read, if you mean you got problems replenishing your BB, then go plant or dig out and carry home some myrtle oak bushes, their acorns are perfect for a quick, free boost to BB.
4.) Heisenberg might not agree, but uncertainty is a good thing, keeping insanity/madness in check is already trivial if you are not raiding/killing with that character, or fighting darkness mobs all day.
Last edited by Taipion on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Thor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:23 pm

ToorimaKun wrote:1st: there are a lot of people that don't want to study any thing because it raises their scalp score.... i don't want to paint a target on my char by getting a high scalp score.

Makes absolutely no sense. AFAIK there's no way to see other people's scalp score.
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby TotalyMeow » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:47 pm

Enough derailing about madness and insanity. There is a thread for this already and the derails about it in every possible thread are reaching spam proportions. There will be bans next time a thread derails onto this topic.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby dinoxx7xx » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:48 pm

idk why people say insanity is bad i mean my insanity was 7 and i got it to 5 and from 5 to 3 its not really hard to get it down just get big aff and go smoke some stuff in den everyday. and you will be fine ¦] ¦] ¦] ¦] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
im retarded idiot that has ebola and i live in african village with old windows xp computer where salem laggs
- Captain Jack Sparrow-
dinoxx7xx

Postby Tulgarath » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:49 pm

ToorimaKun wrote:

while i agree an established player can deal with it pretty well.... gaining a madness level every 4 hours is a bit of an annoyance.
and yes.... in don't starve madness serves a purpose.... while in salem there is no reward or gain for a player dealing with this ****.... it is just strait up a tedious chore that benefits the game experience in no way.

I'd consider myself an average player. I do most things in the game, crappy feasting set. .understand most systems well enough to teach. ..can produce a 100 humor alt slower than others. ...

Having said that. ..went to popham and didn't get a single madness level for a few weeks. Where do you guys get off saying new players can't do it? This really is a matter of using your time well. Hell Kiki is 11 years old and the highest she's been is madness 3. It's annoying at times, but hardly game breaking. Getting rid of madness will only show the whiners the ***** enough you will cave.

He's probably gaining madness levels while afking to post on the forums about how tough madness is to manage!!!
Tulgarath

Postby HolyLight » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Tulgarath wrote:
ToorimaKun wrote:

I'd consider myself an average player. I do most things in the game, crappy feasting set. .understand most systems well enough to teach. ..can produce a 100 humor alt slower than others. ...

Having said that. ..went to popham and didn't get a single madness level for a few weeks. Where do you guys get off saying new players can't do it? This really is a matter of using your time well. Hell Kiki is 11 years old and the highest she's been is madness 3. It's annoying at times, but hardly game breaking. Getting rid of madness will only show the whiners the ***** enough you will cave.

He's probably gaining madness levels while afking to post on the forums about how tough madness is to manage!!!

Claims to be a "new" player, joined March 2013

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There are some things new players need to really do befor playing salem, or risk getting hurt.

#1 Read all announcements since the games launch
#2 Read some guides
#3 Read all announcements again as you most likely forgot stuff
#4 Log into the game
#5 Come to the real game forums and have better fun.
HolyLight

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements