Dev Blog: Post Production Pondering

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Dev Blog: Post Production Pondering

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:25 am

Greetings Salemites,
First, let me start by saying that I am deeply sorry that my general absence has extended beyond the intended duration. Salem has been a major part of my life before Mortal Moments even acquired it and it was not without great regret that I allowed myself and my attention to be ripped away from it. Do note that even when I cannot be here to interact with y'all to the level I want to this does not mean that I am somehow unavailable or unreachable. Server status is still text messaged to my phone, other members of the Dev team still have direct access to me in times of need, and Salem as a whole is still 'fine'. In fact, I would wager that we have failed as developers if the hiatus of a single member of the team could indeed cause an apocalyptic event for the title.

What my absence has given me though, is a sense of insight and reflection that I don't feel I could have otherwise garnished while being as focus'd as we were in the previous year. A series of reflections that I now feel obligated to share in this 'Developer Blog' so to speak.

Population
Frankly, I have always found it fascinating that a player base could care more about this metric than the developers themselves. I like to think that y'all care so much because you wish to absolute best for us, as opposed to say a herd mentality where somehow the 'worth' of the game you are playing is somehow measured by the # of other players doing so at the same time 'validating' your selection based on how trendy the choice of game is. The former is appreciated, while the latter scares me. As a player who enjoyed every minute of my gameplay while Plymouth had 6 players I cannot stress enough just how insignificant the population is to me. In this games darker days it saw 100 active players, during our acquisition I believe it was closer to 300 daily players, and as I write this post I could quite honestly not be happier that after a several month hiatus the game still has nearly double that! Thank you to those players who find what we built fun and support this game :)! Just as I can happily play this game with 1 friend or 100 enemies, I can also say that I can happily develop it in the same manner. If one year from now there is LITERALLY just Heffernan and Darwoth playing this game, then the next two patches will just be an in-game couch for Heffernan, followed by a unique mechanic that most likely results in Darwoth stealing said couch from Heffernan. Many people in life are blessed with an ability to bring joy, entertainment, and satisfaction to others. In a wealth of industries, professions, and hobbies these 'donations' yield 1:1 returns. A single human, providing something of value to another single human. Thanks to technology, Salem, and y'all I have the un-measurable gift of bringing 'fun' to hundreds of players and I refuse to see this opportunity in any other light. As a gamer for the better part of my life I know the excitement I get at even the smallest of patches for my favorite game at the time and the way I yearn for even the slightest of feedback from those responsible for a game that I care deeply about. The mere idea that even one player looks to our content with the same excitement is more than enough to inspire me to keep trying to make Salem the best version of itself that I can.

Unique Nature
That being said, I've reflected long and hard about the things that make Salem different, which Ironically are the exact things I think make Salem largely 'unpopular', and even more ironically are the exact things I think make Salem great. The idea that popularity = greatness is probably a debate for another time but I quite simply do not subscribe to the idea that the direction of the masses has any bearing on my own personal beliefs or direction for this game. I always have and always will develop this game to be the game I enjoy playing. I enjoy being punished, I enjoy losing, and I enjoy knowing that to be competitive I must make sacrifices for something that others would consider a 'hobby' unworthy of said sacrifices. While some have always used gaming to escape reality and 'relax', I have always used it as a playing field that is far more accessible, reliable, and 'even' than most other activities. I know many of you would simply wish that we would make the popular choices that would bring the casual gamer and appease what I would consider the 'younger' generation of players. Unfortunately, nothing about my reflections have brought that desire. In fact, if anything, developing something I could never see myself playing would do little other than burn me out from development the game entirely.

Future
Anyways, I would normally leave you with a painting of the future, but truthfully I simply do not know what our future looks like. I do know that development pace will be picking up, and may even return to some of the pre-production months. I know that I have no intentions of wiping this game ever and I will consider the time when I need to my greatest failure. As much as it may not be mainstream to discuss I feel it worthy to note and disclose that with today's numbers Salem more than covers its operational costs and in the event it stops we have managed to ferret away several years worth of server costs simply with the revenue generated from Launch. Revenue that is has never been allocated to anything but making Salem the best we can and revenue that I see no reason to allocate differently now. Many times I simply gaze upon the server logs and respect the huge investments that some of you make to this game in the form of time and passion. Those investments will never be ignored or under-appreciated. The time you invest here does not go unnoticed and if for no other reason I intend to do my best to preserve that investment you have made for as long as reasonably possible.

'Life' is still happening, but I do feel that I am getting back to a balance where I can begin to work in the commitment that developing Salem at the rate some of you were accustomed commands. The pile of drama and tears you guys left for me upon my return was amazing and I cannot wait for you guys to find the 10 other mechanics I never told you about that are going to get you killed and punish you for failing to explore and tamper with all aspects of game mechanics. The next patch is going to implement what is lovingly coded as ppgains(). Passive Proficiency Gains. So far I'm having a blast on the test server gaining some MINOR character advancement from things I otherwise classified as 'work'. The gains are pretty worthless on the whole, however, psychologically I simply feel like I am 'better off' for playing and I largely think that is a good thing. I worry that it may undermine the inspirational system, however, I do hugely doubt it. After I round out this little tidbit I do have huge hopes to tackle Gluttony as well before returning to 'general content'.

Anyways, that is about as much blogging as I can do without feeling the need to get back to it.... To be honest, this last year I wondered how many of you were here because of the constant content, and how many of you would really stick around if something were to pull me away from development for a spell. Nothing has made me happier than to return after these last few weeks/months to see so many familiar faces still bickering with one another :). One could argue that it isn't even Salem that I'm addicted to at all, but merely what y'all do with Salem :). So for that, I thank you.

--JC
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Re: Dev Blog: Post Production Pondering

Postby Lusewing » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:31 am

Absence makes the heart grow fonder it can also help us gain a new perspective by taking a few steps back. I for one am happy you have managed to take some time to focus on other things (be they real life of other games) as I am sure we will all benefit from your break.
As you so often do so for others, let me say, Welcome back!
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby Thor » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:32 am

Welcome back sir, I had no doubts of your return.
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby Wandering » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks for word~

As for PPgains, it sounds almost like one must be completely in the game to get all the benefits? I know quite a number of us have divided our responsibilities to individual toons. One for farming, one for raiding, making gear, etc... and I think that was intended to some degree; but now that's all they do and nothing else.

I wonder if PPgains is to get folks to live a 'whole' game life vs a single aspect of it on each character?

Glad to hear from you.
Wandering

Postby Lallaith » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:38 am

welcome back :)
Lallaith

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:41 am

Wandering wrote:Thanks for word~

As for PPgains, it sounds almost like one must be completely in the game to get all the benefits? I know quite a number of us have divided our responsibilities to individual toons. One for farming, one for raiding, making gear, etc... and I think that was intended to some degree; but now that's all they do and nothing else.

I wonder if PPgains is to get folks to live a 'whole' game life vs a single aspect of it on each character?

Glad to hear from you.

hmmm.. I don't think it has that effect and that was not our intention. The mechanic was more-so designed to give you that feel of advancement even when you are doing something that could be consider repetitive or boring. So even if you logged on, chopped 1 tree, and logged off you would still technically be better off for it. I think players who specialize in a single thing are going to find that if they do large quantities of that thing they may get an extra few points here or there.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Nephilim » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:46 am

Nuff said. Great post. Keep it up. Long live Salem !
Nephilim

Postby Thor » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:56 am

Would also like to ask how your upcoming gluttony changes are going to affect on the "power biling" aspect?
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:59 am

Thor wrote:Would also like to ask how your upcoming gluttony changes are going to affect on the "power biling" aspect?

How do you mean? The idea of mega-sessions? Or the idea of quickly and rapidly making a high-bile replacement or alt?

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Kralith » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:03 pm

Thank you for your Thank to us! :D

It's great to read you again.
Welcome back!

In anticipation of things that may come there.
Salem Wiki (PM me if you need help with editing)
Report corrections and new things here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kralith
Customer

Next

Return to Announcements