Marketing Efforts Begin

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Marketing Efforts Begin

Postby Dallane » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:31 pm

ShadowTani wrote:
Dallane wrote:
ShadowTani wrote:hide the location of the streamers more from griefers.

This is impossible to do.

I'm sure it's impossible to do entirely, but was thinking it might still be possible to make it more difficult to guess the location?

Still, this suggestion might not even be possible to do programming wise depending on the language used to develop it. But yeah, I'm pretty sure people who actually follow the streams and let's plays for Salem regularly can give better suggestions than me on what things to improve to boost advertisement effect through such a media.

If you give this special benefit to streamers then it would be a massive imbalance to the game.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Procne » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Dallane wrote:
ShadowTani wrote:I'm sure it's impossible to do entirely, but was thinking it might still be possible to make it more difficult to guess the location?

Still, this suggestion might not even be possible to do programming wise depending on the language used to develop it. But yeah, I'm pretty sure people who actually follow the streams and let's plays for Salem regularly can give better suggestions than me on what things to improve to boost advertisement effect through such a media.

If you give this special benefit to streamers then it would be a massive imbalance to the game.

TBH I think it wouldn't be a big problem if they got some temporary immunity, or even dev care (but not like the last time with devs lying and pretending it never happened), just to record. After that they could be just nuked. Don't see much imbalance here.

Or the streamers could just stop with this silly streaming and instead just record videos and publish them after some time, to avoid sniping. I really don't get the thing with live streaming. It's like the recorders took the easy way where they don't have to do any postprocessing on recorded video (like, cutting off the boring parts etc.). Dunno why viewers prefer this to watching a proper video
Procne

Postby ShadowTani » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Oh no, even if an improved default client will be made with marketing impression in mind then I don't want to see a client exclusive for streamers. It should be a rework of the current default client that is available for everyone.

The only thing I suggested is to make it more difficult for troll griefers from giving an inaccurate impression of the game. I'm sure many of these streamers and youtubers will end up getting robbed or otherwise assaulted down the road by natural consequences and coincidences anyway, particularly if they go for Popham. That's not a problem, that's accurate to how the game works and thus I'm also opposed to giving them any immunity of sorts. However, having someone that watches the stream track the streamer down, beat them down and camp their body is not an accurate impression of the crime system, it's just trolling and thus bad advertisement imo. :/
ShadowTani

Postby Dallane » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:00 pm

ShadowTani wrote:The only thing I suggested is to make it more difficult for troll griefers from giving an inaccurate impression of the game. I'm sure many of these streamers and youtubers will end up getting robbed or otherwise assaulted down the road by natural consequences and coincidences anyway, particularly if they go for Popham. That's not a problem, that's accurate to how the game works and thus I'm also opposed to giving them any immunity of sorts. However, having someone that watches the stream track the streamer down, beat them down and camp their body is not an accurate impression of the crime system, it's just trolling and thus bad advertisement imo. :/

I guess the people streaming hearth stone, magic, CSGO, DOTA, LoL, ARK, etc all are giving a terrible representation of the game right?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby ShadowTani » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:09 pm

I'm not going to comment on other games as each game is unique. For the record, I don't think any video or stream is bad publicity (unless intentionally made to give a bad impression of course). I'm talking about improving the presentation potential.

My point is that if you are going to go seek help from a marketing company you better consider these things beforehand, otherwise you might as well flush money down the toilet. Personally I think Mortal Moments can do fine without such assistance, but this is about a what-if scenario since people started suggesting it.
ShadowTani

Postby Kandarim » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:57 pm

ShadowTani wrote:having someone that watches the stream track the streamer down, beat them down and camp their body is not an accurate impression of the crime system, it's just trolling and thus bad advertisement imo. :/

I'd say it's a pretty accurate representation of the crime system. You track people down, beat them and take their body for some witchcraft after. The only difference is that you may have to TBC them.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Darwoth » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:48 pm

once darwoth county is formed on providence the streamers will have a safe place to nerd from so long as they follow the noble code of darwoth.
Darwoth

Previous

Return to Announcements