Marketing Efforts Begin

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Marketing Efforts Begin

Postby Kandarim » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:04 pm

I'd say the new generation is way too quiet so far.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Chief_Slumlord » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:08 pm

I've posted in a few spots on reddit and other game forums (where it's allowed), but it's a hard game to accurately describe :lol:

There's almost zero reddit activity, and I know quite a few people who use reddit and not twitter/facebook (privacy on most social networking sites is pathetic). DaOpa is how I found Salem, through twitch streams. GamerZhack(sp?) on youtube also has a following. For this type of game, the mainstream advertising/marketing isn't going to work as well as the word of mouth + visual/tactile methods.

http://www.reddit.com/r/salemthegame/ or
http://reddit.com/r/salemMMO

A few people that've have played before, but haven't checked in in awhile, are asking detailed questions about one server permanent and a temporary and will there be a permanent server where new people won't be 1+ years behind everyone... blah blah, you get the drift. It would be beneficial, imho, to just put that clearly in a visible location on forums. Even for a lot of ppl who have been around awhile, there's still a little ambiguity (when asked directly if they know, or know where to find the answers). The greener pastures thread looks like it answers everything, until someone looks at it with newby eyes and comes running with a ton of questions they should be asking in a post, but are too intimidated.

Anyway, thanks for an amazing(ly addictive) game that offers much for imagination. The above is just my personal, subjective observations since returning and while trying to get people over here to return or try Salem from scratch.
Chief_Slumlord

Postby Nikixos » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:08 am

Reddit seems to be the same than steam, talk **** & not even play/undersand the game or even the aim of it. I suggest find other options.
Image Image
Nikixos

Postby Dallane » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:08 am

Nikixos wrote:Reddit seems to be the same than steam, talk **** & not even play/undersand the game or even the aim of it. I suggest find other options.

You guys need to stop making asses out of yourself when people don't like the game. It doesn't help the situation at all. Just chill, respect their opinion since this game is marketed to a VERY small number of people and let them move on. Instead we get cleayt and CO raging out and turning more people off to the game.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Chief_Slumlord » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:24 am

Nikixos wrote:Reddit seems to be the same than steam, talk **** & not even play/undersand the game or even the aim of it. I suggest find other options.

Marketing is about spreading your product around enough until it sticks. Life can't throw all the good in your direction and not let things you disagree with magically disappear. People everywhere have opinions and they're willing to share their opinion without actually knowing what their opinion is yet.
Chief_Slumlord

Postby trungdle » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:59 am

you can hire a professional marketing company and let them evaluate. Then ask them to promote the game. More money but better result.
You thought I quit.
trungdle

Postby Nikixos » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:35 am

trungdle wrote:you can hire a professional marketing company and let them evaluate. Then ask them to promote the game. More money but better result.

This would be cool
Image Image
Nikixos

Postby ShadowTani » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:09 pm

I think it's a bit late to get a marketing company involved now. Would be better to contact one a couple of months before the next expedition if so. Also, it's worth noting that the majority of marketing companies are overkill for an indie studio and damn expensive just for counseling and not really worth it unless you plan to take your advertisement to TV and city ads level. However, there's a few marketing companies out there that have started specializing on indie developer teams and accordingly offer services with affordable fees. An example that might be interesting to check out is seriouslyweb.com.

However, I would strongly suggest reworking the default client a bit before then so that it is both more user and streaming friendly as they probably will want to pimp Salem to potential high profile youtubers; the UI may not sell copies, but it can turn off players… If possible I would also recommend making the map radar window possible to detach from the client so that it can be put outside the gaming window. This would reduce clutter on the screen and hide the location of the streamers more from griefers. As much as griefers are an essential part of Salem they do not sell the game, especially ones that target LP/Streams as that doesn't give an accurate impression; is a difference between actual game crime and pure trolling.
ShadowTani

Postby Dallane » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:11 pm

ShadowTani wrote:hide the location of the streamers more from griefers.

This is impossible to do.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby ShadowTani » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Dallane wrote:
ShadowTani wrote:hide the location of the streamers more from griefers.

This is impossible to do.

I'm sure it's impossible to do entirely, but was thinking it might still be possible to make it more difficult to guess the location?

Still, this suggestion might not even be possible to do programming wise depending on the language used to develop it. But yeah, I'm pretty sure people who actually follow the streams and let's plays for Salem regularly can give better suggestions than me on what things to improve to boost advertisement effect through such a media.
ShadowTani

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements