Sneak Peek at Expeditions

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Sneak Peek at Expeditions

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:49 am

Greetings Salemites,
The time approaches for the brave and daring to embark upon the first expedition of Salem (June 19th)! This thread will serve as a guide for those who wish to gather a glimpse into the chaotic times ahead. The first Pilgrims have already reported back and have discovered an odd array of statues littered across the map which seem to offer an enticing set of benefits to those who would partake in prayer around them. A statue may be prayed to once per week, per pilgrim. However, it will be up to the Pilgrims themselves to regulate just who visits these statues, when, and how often. For rumors have it that the first 3rd Circle Witch who is able to pray to all the statues will bring forth an apocalypse unlike any other.

Without further ado:

The tenet of Frugality.

All things in nature are gifts from the Lord, intended for us to use if at all possible. Let nothing go to waste let you yourself be seen as wasteful! Waste not and want not, as it is as much as anything else a request of destiny to find yourself in want should you begin to trim gristle, to toss woodchips, to discard bones and the rest of the oft discarded bits. Savor the leavings, for one day they may constitute your supper if you squander yourself in excess.

Praying to the Statue of Frugality will reduce your Full & Fed Up buff by 1 week..

The tenet of Family.

Our closest connection and embodiment is those with whom we share house and home. Children are extensions of their parents, using the lessons taught them to influence the world around them. Parents are responsible for setting forth the appropriate lessons for their house to follow. It is in the home which these tenets spring, and to the home which them will eternally be reinforced if our way of life is to be had..

Praying to the Statue of Family will raise the inheritance bonus of your Pilgrim's Heir back to Providence by 5% Per Praying..

The tenet of Community.

We are judged most closely by those with whom we regularly associate, and divine judgement is no different. Keep careful watch on your neighbors, that they perform deeds and express beliefs that you yourself hold dear. Beware the outsider and forever keep close, current, and vocal those beliefs which your community should dedicate itself to. For it is the reflected light of the many unto itself that allows the eternal ray of righteousness to exist on and on, forever.

Praying to the Statue of Community will lower the Pilgrims Insanity and Madness to 0..

The tenet of Piety.

Godliness is next to nothing, for it stands alone, incomparable and unwavering. Truth in word and action, obeyance to the commandments set forth by the Lord, all matters of faith are to be obeyed without question. For in hesitation we find sin and hubris. We find a measure of thinking beyond us in questioning the divine, and are thus only safe behind the shield granted us by the church..

Praying to the Statue of Piety will grant a Pilgrim 10,000 Inspiration for each point of Faith and Wisdom they have..

The tenet of Diligence.

What are we if not vessels to work and be worked? Idle hands lead only to sin, and so it is the busy worker who is most devout. It is he who cannot spare a passing moment to thoughts of dark things, lustful things, heinous and blasphemous things, who finds himself in grace. Reap the wheat, shuck the corn, tend the fields, mend the cloth, carve the wood, but whatever you do, do not fail to do.

Praying to the Statue of Diligence will make you more efficient at working, permanently adding +3 to ALL proficiencies..

The tenet of Sobriety.

The temptations of this world we live in are so that a man unprepared, unsteeled against them, is regularly at the mercy of his baser self. All things in moderation allows us the opportunity to appreciate the moderate life. Pleasure on occasion. Pleasure as a rarity. Pleasure so seldom it is soon forgotten in place of the diligence of hearth, home, sweat, toil, and the embrace of the Lord!

Praying to the Statue of Sobriety will entirely remove the Quaffed & Quench buff.

Update. It appears that some insane pilgrims on the expedition have taken to Cannibalism. Players will be able to eat other fallen pilgrims on the expedition and gain a % of their stats when doing so.

Our earliest scouts have reported the bizarrity cannibalism occurring in the furthest reaches of the spot to be our new expedition. As alarming as this is, we mustn't falter in our search for new horizons and the mission of bringing civilizations to the darkest corner of this New World. The Hudson Bay Company reminds all settlers that the consumption of human flesh is a destable, wicked act that will be monopolized upon should it fall into fashion. Should that occur, it will use all privilege necessary to defend itself on the principal of supply and demand.

Update. Final details of the store and bank accounts have been worked out:

*We have just finished having the Bank Teller know what server you are playing on. Thus, providence bank accounts will now be disjointed from expedition bank accounts.
*After the next patch silver will no longer be deposited directly in the bank account, but instead will be delivered to the postmaster in carepackages like other store bought items.
*Postmasters will be on all servers. Thus anything you currently have on your postmaster now may be used for the upcoming expeditions.

Update. Final details of the cannon system are being worked out:

*All raiding and sieging mechanics of Providence will be live and present on the Expedition server. Primarily because I still firmly believe the system is "LARGELY" balanced.
*The Wild card will come in the form of Cannons. Cannons can be built and pulled around like a little sled.
*Cannon Balls weigh 55kg.
*Loading a cannon takes a small amount of time. Once a cannon is loaded, one cannot pull it anymore.
*You may light the fuse of a cannon with any spark. The cannon will fire in 7.5 Hours and obliterate all walls in its path.
*For every 100 Cloak and Dagger on the player firing the cannon and leaving the waste crime up to 1 hour 'could' come off the fire time. This is akin to all the +%rolls in Salem. This means at 750 Cloak and Dagger a cannon could theoretically fire in 1 minute.
*Standing in front of a cannon ball when it fires will permakill you.
*One does not need a waste claim to have a cannon do damage to the stuff in front of it, HOWEVER, it is a waste crime to light the cannon in the first place so it would need to be off town claim to light. Cannons can fire LONGER than their render distance.

We think this simple wild card will largely tilt raiding and eliminate the 'tedious' nature of getting through walls on Providence. We are entertaining an additional wild card of LockPicking as well but are not convinced the expeditions need more chaos than cannons and made leave Lockpicking to Expedition 2 or just a general core mechanic of all of Salem.

Update: The pilgrims of Providence who wish to go on expeditions have decided it best to safeguard their valuables with clever mechanics. As such, Booby Trapping chests and containers will be live on both expeditions and Providence with the next restart.

MORE TO FOLLOW IN THE DAYS AHEAD

ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Re: Sneak Peek at Expeditions

Postby matan002 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:50 am

OMFG
Lachlaan wrote:The motherbats await a spanking, for the sake of fields.
matan002

Postby matan002 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:50 am

JC I LOVE YOU <3
Lachlaan wrote:The motherbats await a spanking, for the sake of fields.
matan002

Postby M13tz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:52 am

wicked ! :o :shock:
M13tz

Postby Rubberduckbandit » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:54 am

Since we regulate them i'm guessing they are out in wild and they can be built around?
Rubberduckbandit

Postby Procne » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:54 am

Praying to tenet of sobriety lets you drink more...
Procne

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:55 am

Rubberduckbandit wrote:Since we regulate them i'm guessing they are out in wild and they can be built around?

Indeed. I anticipate that the largest and most dedicated factions will take on the responsibility of safeguarding the best statues.

Procne wrote:Praying to tenet of sobriety lets you drink more...

See what I did there :)
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Inotdead » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:06 am

HYPE :o
Claeyt wrote: I'm not saying it's right or justified that they steal or sell drugs or murder cops I'm saying that that's exactly what you would do if you were poor and desperate and Black.
Inotdead

Postby Judaism » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:13 am

I hope the statues are somewhat balanced, rather than just a couple very OP ones and other very crappy ones.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:14 am

Judaism wrote:I hope the statues are somewhat balanced, rather than just a couple very OP ones and other very crappy ones.

If they were all crappy that would be no fun, and if they were all OP then there wouldn't be any 'lesser' ones for the little guy. I like that they vary in power, and I consider this Sobriety Statue to be one of the lesser ones for sure.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Next

Return to Announcements