Writing Right Now

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Writing Right Now

Postby Heffernan » Tue May 19, 2015 4:08 pm

anyone know what to do with the wet paper screen? :s
Heffernan

Postby Lusewing » Tue May 19, 2015 4:35 pm

just leave it for 4 hours, you can then right click it to peal the dry paper off.
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby JohnCarver » Tue May 19, 2015 7:15 pm

Mini Update #1
*Books should order their pages more accurately than before.
*Garlic Rabbit now appropriately uses game meats.
*Charred something now appropriately uses game meats.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Michael » Wed May 20, 2015 6:46 am

JohnCarver wrote:*Players may now pave with Hay.

Makes it look like your base is paved with french fries!
Michael

Postby loftar » Wed May 20, 2015 7:07 am

Arkadion wrote:May I suggest that the last pavement placed is the one to overlap over the existing ones? So if I want brick over stone, I should pave first with stone, then with brick. In this case there will be no priority on any pavement.

You do realize that this would mean that every tile in the game would need to save when it was last changed?
loftar

Postby Dallane » Wed May 20, 2015 10:33 am

loftar wrote:
Arkadion wrote:May I suggest that the last pavement placed is the one to overlap over the existing ones? So if I want brick over stone, I should pave first with stone, then with brick. In this case there will be no priority on any pavement.

You do realize that this would mean that every tile in the game would need to save when it was last changed?

MAKE IT SO
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Arkadion » Wed May 20, 2015 10:57 am

loftar wrote:

From what JC said, I understood that the pavements have some kind of 'priority' saved for each type. So that would mean you already save some data to order which pavement comes on top. One solution might be to save the time of change for each tile, as you say, meaning you would save the time instead of the priority (maybe more memory used). Also, you would save the time, only for the paved tiles, since the others are default (dropping dirt might be different).

I don't know how the code sees each tile, but I thought it would be something like this: all tiles are normal dirt((A); you pave with stone, the tile becomes stone-paved(B) (here it overlaps over the neighbouring dirt tiles); Paving with brick(C) a tile next to this, would make the latter overlap over the stone paved and the dirt tiles. This scenario would not need a time saved. As code, I think there will be a section to detect that you are paving with brick and you will change the sides of the tiles with that texture, instead of leaving the old stone part. I think you only depend on the material you just used for paving.

I think this would leave people the choice of how they want to pave, instead of always putting one specific pavement over another, creating a hierarchy (ex: brick over stone).

(I don't claim to know better than you, it was just my opinion and suggestion)
Last edited by Arkadion on Wed May 20, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkadion

Postby Procne » Wed May 20, 2015 11:00 am

I'm pretty sure it would be possible to "override" this priority in a custom client
Procne

Postby lachlaan » Wed May 20, 2015 1:57 pm

The thing suggested was that the last paved tile near a junction overlap the second to last paved one, which would involve the tiles remembering which was indeed paved last, or save junctions as they are created, either case pretty unnecessarily complicated as opposed to just having an order of priority
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Arkadion » Wed May 20, 2015 2:38 pm

It all depends on how much freedom they want to give us: priority of materials means always getting the same results.
Arkadion

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements