Writing Right Now

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Writing Right Now

Postby RainbowMoostache » Fri May 29, 2015 12:41 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:Wiki changing for books is indeed planned. Not fully sure about changing wiki from menu - it has some difficulties. Client gets item tooltips for menu icons from that wiki. And different wikis have different formats. If I'll get to rewriting wiki parsing, I will add changing for sure.

You, me like you.
RainbowMoostache

Postby Heffernan » Fri May 29, 2015 1:38 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:Oops. Super secret stuff leaked :) It is work in progress. Currently it looks like this:
I hope John Carver will merge it into default client.

no rly with all the work he helps JC/US with why has noone rewarded him yet. instead he gets raided :(
Heffernan

Postby lachlaan » Fri May 29, 2015 8:59 pm

Enderrr, out of curiosity, would a book written with your new features on your client print the same on default client should JC not merge the changes?
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby EnderWiggin » Fri May 29, 2015 9:12 pm

It will look like this:
Though, potentially I'll redo how linebreaks work, so it will have linebreaks at least.
EnderWiggin

Postby Flink » Fri May 29, 2015 10:06 pm

enderwiggins, is the new word 2015
Flink

Postby EnderWiggin » Fri May 29, 2015 10:15 pm

Question: should I make it so that each new line automatically displayed with 2 spaces in front? Like in this pic:
There is no actual spaces in front of new lines - they are added locally before displaying. Are there any reasons to not add them? Make it optional? Or do not bother with it?
EnderWiggin

Postby lachlaan » Fri May 29, 2015 10:59 pm

Make it optional imo, like add in a tab function for paragraph spacing. And heh, yeah figured it'd be client-specific tags for everything xD I had a look at it to see if at least linebreaks could be added the hard way. easy way would've been just adding extra code for formatting and rendering accordingly. Hard way is going through the clustertruck that is java code and unlike me figuring out where it is the client eats the newline symbol and passes it to java's keystroke detection thing instead. Books would look awesome, hopefully the formatting could be a unified thing so newbies buying books specific to your client don't end up with a headache of their own.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby EnderWiggin » Fri May 29, 2015 11:07 pm

lachlaan wrote:Make it optional imo, like add in a tab function for paragraph spacing. And heh, yeah figured it'd be client-specific tags for everything xD I had a look at it to see if at least linebreaks could be added the hard way. easy way would've been just adding extra code for formatting and rendering accordingly. Hard way is going through the clustertruck that is java code and unlike me figuring out where it is the client eats the newline symbol and passes it to java's keystroke detection thing instead. Books would look awesome, hopefully the formatting could be a unified thing so newbies buying books specific to your client don't end up with a headache of their own.

Main problem with adding option is that I quickly run out of space to put checkbox in options window :)
Well, I really hope default client will be merged with at least main changes to the books - basic tags for formatting and line breaks. We can live without wiki links, action execution and auto spacing - because they are nice things, but not essential.
EnderWiggin

Postby lachlaan » Fri May 29, 2015 11:44 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:Main problem with adding option is that I quickly run out of space to put checkbox in options window :)

No I meant just let people add it in themselves, rather than make it automatic. Apologies for misunderstanding xD you were asking wether to make the automatic thing an option, but tbh it gives the writer more freedom I think to decide which newline gets spaces / a tab.

Did you revamp the way people input text as well? The textentry boxes are a bit useless for figuring out how it'll display your text. Making it also render a live preview window might work better, if a bit taxing with it re-rendering every time. Idk :D Either way awesome content and I do hope the main client merges with it to make it all a bit easier on the eyes.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby EnderWiggin » Sat May 30, 2015 2:12 am

lachlaan wrote:
EnderWiggin wrote:Did you revamp the way people input text as well? The textentry boxes are a bit useless for figuring out how it'll display your text. Making it also render a live preview window might work better, if a bit taxing with it re-rendering every time. Idk :D Either way awesome content and I do hope the main client merges with it to make it all a bit easier on the eyes.

Look at the last screen I've posted and you'll have your answer.
EnderWiggin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements