Legendary Lagfix

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Legendary Lagfix

Postby Argentis » Fri May 15, 2015 11:02 pm

rustles wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:players should expect further implementations in the future that eliminate the ability to have instant mass-safe transit of goods.


Pls dear God of Salem eliminate the scourge of instant travel all together. It is witchcraft!

This game always feels like nanny gubbment is holding our hands and telling us how to wipe our anus. Let the free market build it's own Boston, I say!

Porting is 100% an exploit. Raiders alt-port all the **** they steal, traders just port all their crap instantly, it discourages players from forming communities, it encourages players to isolate them selves in the middle of nowhere, etc.


I agree. For that we need as someone already suggested a wagon of sort to mass tranport items (But shouldnt be used as shed so it would prevent people for using them as storage). We also need improved roads. Either different types of roads give different buffs (speed would be the most obvious, maybe one more suited for wagons another for horses, etc) or just an overall movespeed buff on roads. Then leave it to the players. Personally I would create an empire off those roads.
User avatar
Argentis
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Legendary Lagfix

Postby Silent_Bob » Fri May 15, 2015 11:04 pm

Argentis wrote:
rustles wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:players should expect further implementations in the future that eliminate the ability to have instant mass-safe transit of goods.


Pls dear God of Salem eliminate the scourge of instant travel all together. It is witchcraft!

This game always feels like nanny gubbment is holding our hands and telling us how to wipe our anus. Let the free market build it's own Boston, I say!

Porting is 100% an exploit. Raiders alt-port all the **** they steal, traders just port all their crap instantly, it discourages players from forming communities, it encourages players to isolate them selves in the middle of nowhere, etc.


I agree. For that we need as someone already suggested a wagon of sort to mass tranport items (But shouldnt be used as shed so it would prevent people for using them as storage). We also need improved roads. Either different types of roads give different buffs (speed would be the most obvious, maybe one more suited for wagons another for horses, etc) or just an overall movespeed buff on roads. Then leave it to the players. Personally I would create an empire off those roads.


We could have travelling salesmen rolling about these roads with a wagon that doubles as a stall popping up near towns and selling goods :).
User avatar
Silent_Bob
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:58 am

Re: Legendary Lagfix

Postby lachlaan » Fri May 15, 2015 11:26 pm

I was always less concerned with the lack of an instant travel option than I was with the possibility that trade get halted altogether should it take the usual 5+ hours to get from darkness to say, a trade partner near providence. What happens to the whole idea of newbies trading with experienced players in such a way that newbies get gold from charms and buy rare darkness stuff? Because newbies don't have nearly enough money to pay for a 4-5 hour trip carrying stuff that may or may not sell depending on wether a) everyone carts buttloads of the stuff and floods stalls with it or b) for lack of a stall you need to wait in town for people to log on and opt to purchase your goods. Hopefully you've already taken similar concerns into consideration and the incoming mechanic will see to not horribly cripple us all xD
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Legendary Lagfix

Postby rustles » Sat May 16, 2015 12:04 am

Of course a bunch of people are going to resent these changes, because it's all too easy to just magically teleport your self and 100kg of items in 5 seconds. But lets face it, if it were up to them it would rain silver and gold(and then everyone would lose interest because there is no challenge).

After the initial hype of starting out is over and you have a wall and some blazers, it gets boring fast.

The biggest problem right now, and the number one reason most people quit from my experience is the loneliness of the game. I usually go a week without seeing another player outside of Boston, and I'm super active. Its pretty much single player farmvile with the occasional person stealing all your stuff while you're offline(if a strong enough player even manages to find your place).

We need to give these 800 players an incentive to build near eachother. For those saying that removing teleportation wouldn't do that are completely ridiculous.

Ps. I agree that we should have roads that boost speed. Perhaps cobble gives a 25% increase, and brick gives 100%(because it takes far more effort to make bricks than to chip stones)
User avatar
rustles
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:41 am
Location: Uranus

Re: Legendary Lagfix

Postby Potjeh » Sat May 16, 2015 12:10 am

JohnCarver wrote:*Disclaimer*
For those still concerned about the port timer, the ability to create alts, and the ability to have multiple bases all over the map without any real consideration to their geographical location due to the previous unlimited unregulated instant fast-travel to anywhere on the map regardless of distance is not working as intended. I consider the teleporting of thousands of goods through the safety of town 'instantly' very much to be exploiting akin to the same way I hated alt-vaulting. Nothing in salem should be safe, nor instant, and therefore, players should expect further implementations in the future that eliminate the ability to have instant mass-safe transit of goods.

I fully agree with this sentiment. Question is, what happens to stalls if mass teleporting goods to and from Providence goes away? IIRC you've previously stated that you don't want to implement player built stalls. Would you reconsider it now? If we're gonna be driving wagons between each other's bases to trade with people, arranging meetings is going to be a lot harder than it is in Providence due to travel time, so automated trading would be needed more than ever.
Potjeh
 
Posts: 2485
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Re: Legendary Lagfix

Postby biskvito » Sat May 16, 2015 12:10 am

Roads could be pretty epic, connecting friendly cities. Since it would be an obvious place for thieves and griefers, I can see it becoming as avoided as pvp, unless you have travelers alts, or security alts, the possibilities are too many.
Last edited by biskvito on Sat May 16, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
biskvito
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:01 pm

Re: Legendary Lagfix

Postby JohnCarver » Sat May 16, 2015 12:12 am

I only disliked player built stalls BECAUSE there was a reliance on the central town. If and when I am successful and breaking the reliance on the central town then it would be quite logical to allow players to build their own marketplaces. In fact, as I type this, I have just finished instituting 'deeds' to stalls which can be used in this very fashion, but I have no intention on dropping them anytime soon simply because I don't feel they would be used appropriately given the game is not yet at a place mechanics-wise to encourage local trade hubs.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
User avatar
JohnCarver
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6826
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:02 am

Re: Legendary Lagfix

Postby Heffernan » Sat May 16, 2015 12:13 am

JohnCarver wrote:I only disliked player built stalls BECAUSE there was a reliance on the central town. If and when I am successful and breaking the reliance on the central town then it would be quite logical to allow players to build their own marketplaces. In fact, as I type this, I have just finished instituting 'deeds' to stalls which can be used in this very fashion, but I have no intention on dropping the simply because I don't feel they would be used appropriately given the game is not yet at a place mechanics-wise to encourage local trade hubs.


still sad we dont get a stall sell option :(
User avatar
Heffernan
 
Posts: 8525
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:07 pm
Location: Marps Closet

Re: Legendary Lagfix

Postby Potjeh » Sat May 16, 2015 12:14 am

But it is the direction it's heading, right? I'm very happy to hear that, I thought you considered this change in meta to not be worth the dev hours.
Potjeh
 
Posts: 2485
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Re: Legendary Lagfix

Postby JohnCarver » Sat May 16, 2015 12:30 am

Potjeh wrote:But it is the direction it's heading, right? I'm very happy to hear that, I thought you considered this change in meta to not be worth the dev hours.


I am 90% sure this change will fail to make the first expedition. But I have it comfortably scheduled in the window between Expedition 1 and Expedition 2.

That being said, expedition maps are small enough that I do think there will be a lot of localized activity on the first expedition just because of that.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
User avatar
JohnCarver
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6826
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:02 am

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests