Legendary Lagfix

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Legendary Lagfix

Postby Potjeh » Sat May 16, 2015 1:07 am

Sweet. So how's the development cycle going to work with expeditions, anyway? One big update at start of each expedition, and just minor ones throughout it's duration because you'd be busy preparing the next expedition? If yes, what's the target duration for an expedition?
Potjeh

Postby JohnCarver » Sat May 16, 2015 1:29 am

Potjeh wrote:Sweet. So how's the development cycle going to work with expeditions, anyway? One big update at start of each expedition, and just minor ones throughout it's duration because you'd be busy preparing the next expedition? If yes, what's the target duration for an expedition?

Yeah pretty much exactly that. We hope to "leave the world alone" moreso than we have and let people 'depend' on the mechanics in play more-so than they have been able to during our beta dev cycle. For that reason alone we will probably be a lot less 'active' on bringing the server down and pushing massive sweeping changes DURING an expedition. Target is 6 months. So Salem would get large massive overhauls twice a year. A new expedition patch being targeted at lets say "Twice" the size of our roadmap patches and delivering at least one new major system. Similar to how Expedition 1 brings Animal Husbandry.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Dallane » Sat May 16, 2015 1:31 am

rustles wrote:Of course a bunch of people are going to resent these changes, because it's all too easy to just magically teleport your self and 100kg of items in 5 seconds. But lets face it, if it were up to them it would rain silver and gold(and then everyone would lose interest because there is no challenge).

After the initial hype of starting out is over and you have a wall and some blazers, it gets boring fast.

The biggest problem right now, and the number one reason most people quit from my experience is the loneliness of the game. I usually go a week without seeing another player outside of Boston, and I'm super active. Its pretty much single player farmvile with the occasional person stealing all your stuff while you're offline(if a strong enough player even manages to find your place).

We need to give these 800 players an incentive to build near eachother. For those saying that removing teleportation wouldn't do that are completely ridiculous.

Ps. I agree that we should have roads that boost speed. Perhaps cobble gives a 25% increase, and brick gives 100%(because it takes far more effort to make bricks than to chip stones)

By far one of the most retarded things said here. Anyone not joining a town has nothing to do with teleporting. Not being able to teleport isn't going to change the fact that you can get someone inside your town and open it up. Anyone in a town would have no need to trade without teleport. Everything is usually shared between town mates.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby dunehammer2013 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:50 am

when will the expedition 1 begin?
dunehammer2013

Postby Dallane » Sun May 17, 2015 12:53 am

dunehammer2013 wrote:when will the expedition 1 begin?

Soon
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby JohnCarver » Sun May 17, 2015 12:59 am

June 19th.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby dunehammer2013 » Sun May 17, 2015 1:00 am

JohnCarver wrote:

June 19th.

ahh. so no patch between now and june 19th?
dunehammer2013

Postby trungdle » Sun May 17, 2015 1:01 am

dunehammer2013 wrote:ahh. so no patch between now and june 19th?

there will be several mini patches don't worry :)
You thought I quit.
trungdle

Previous

Return to Announcements