Bringing Balance to the Forage

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Bringing Balance to the Forage

Postby Scilly_guy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:08 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
Kandarim wrote:
Then again, my issue remains: when out foraging I ignore the spammed rubbish stuff because I'd only be picking them up in order to drop them again 1 second later. Yet on the stuff I do pick up, the chances of spawning a nice extra is drastically lowered because those extras can also be spawned off rubbish. What about rubbish not spawning them in the first place, and keeping the spawn rates of 7-uses and the like off other things as it was? Or do you want us to be picking up everything in sight only to drop it a couple of seconds later?

This is a fair request, but the problem is that I would like for new players to get the 7-use inspirationals and I consider a new player the most likely person to be picking up the rubbish.

There could be some balance stuck here, obviously the point is that newbies can get the 7-use and 10 use inspirationals from foraging and either use them or sell them to help them along their way. But an experienced player shouldn't be punished and made to pick everything just to find the 7 use ones. If the 7 use ones had a slightly higher chance of being on the rarer items than the common ones then that seems logical. You could also have less useful random drops from the common stuff, like duck eggs in reeds, a turkey egg (plus argo in the darkness) in ferns, snake eggs under gneiss (quzelcoatl or whatever in the darkness), a very hungry caterpillar on honeysuckle. Grass is good enough by itself.
Scilly_guy

Postby RickyP602 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:50 pm

Kandarim wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:
Kandarim wrote:i don't think that means what you think it means :)

I disagree, as forage should effectively lower the saturation of the 'plentiful' items and replace them with the more valuable and rare ones.

Then again, my issue remains: when out foraging I ignore the spammed rubbish stuff because I'd only be picking them up in order to drop them again 1 second later. Yet on the stuff I do pick up, the chances of spawning a nice extra is drastically lowered because those extras can also be spawned off rubbish. What about rubbish not spawning them in the first place, and keeping the spawn rates of 7-uses and the like off other things as it was? Or do you want us to be picking up everything in sight only to drop it a couple of seconds later?

I second this, and would also like to add a little tidbit more. With the introduction of all of the mostly useless other stuff, you have also lowered the rate at descent stuff spawns. On top of that with the added reduction in finding the 7 use inspirations is now two fold. They have less of a chance to spawn, and also we are picking up less stuff.

I would also like to mention that even noob players (I still consider myself one) will not pick up the useless stuff for long. Maybe a day, possibly two? before it loses it's usefulness or it never had one to begin with. Overall, i'm fine with a reduction in the amount of stuff you forage, I just think there needs to be some balancing with the 7 use inspirationals, since a lot of us new players use them as our main form of currency, literally right behind, if not ahead of, silver from charms.
RickyP602

Postby Dallane » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:56 pm

RickyP602 wrote:I would also like to mention that even noob players (I still consider myself one) will not pick up the useless stuff for long. Maybe a day, possibly two? before it loses it's usefulness or it never had one to begin with. Overall, i'm fine with a reduction in the amount of stuff you forage, I just think there needs to be some balancing with the 7 use inspirationals, since a lot of us new players use them as our main form of currency, literally right behind, if not ahead of, silver from charms.

I went out to forage today and had zero problem collecting 7 uses. Silver from charms is more then enough. I made around 2k in those alone.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Thor » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:02 am

Sometimes I get 7 uses inspis and sometimes I dont. RNG is a mean ***** from time to time =P
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby RickyP602 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:07 am

Dallane wrote:
RickyP602 wrote:I would also like to mention that even noob players (I still consider myself one) will not pick up the useless stuff for long. Maybe a day, possibly two? before it loses it's usefulness or it never had one to begin with. Overall, i'm fine with a reduction in the amount of stuff you forage, I just think there needs to be some balancing with the 7 use inspirationals, since a lot of us new players use them as our main form of currency, literally right behind, if not ahead of, silver from charms.

I went out to forage today and had zero problem collecting 7 uses. Silver from charms is more then enough. I made around 2k in those alone.

I've never made 2k from charms in one forage session, even if it was hours long. The most I can recall bringing back was 12 or 13, and I traveled a very long way. In order to get 2k you'd need close to 70 charms.
RickyP602

Postby TotalyMeow » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:58 am

A lot depends on how inhabited your area is. A highly active town, for example, will have a lot more spawning in it's area stumps and logs than a hermit's claim.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Dallane » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:00 am

RickyP602 wrote:
Dallane wrote:

I've never made 2k from charms in one forage session, even if it was hours long. The most I can recall bringing back was 12 or 13, and I traveled a very long way. In order to get 2k you'd need close to 70 charms.

You need to learn how spawning works. Make a path, check every stump and log along the way. Do that every few days and you will profit.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Blood » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:06 am

i have also found turning on wander/forage and walking in a circle in my town i can find 4+ feathers on the ground in ~5 minutes.
Blood

Postby Perchik » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:59 am

It's become too easy to collect organic for composters and fish traps.
I think that must be remodelled.
Compost bin must have direct weight limit. For example 50kg, where 1 kg of organic will become 1 piece of humus.
Therefore, if you have x10 any plant with weight 0.1 kg you will get 1kg humus.

For fish traps it must be a special craftable item "fishy food" made from any plant, that requires more plants for 1 fishy.
Perchik

Postby JackSkeletron » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:47 pm

Perchik wrote:It's become too easy to collect organic for composters and fish traps.

Less "grindy". I like it the current way.
JackSkeletron

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements