Landmarks & The Hunt for Tarp Marpton!

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Landmarks & The Hunt for Tarp Marpton!

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:42 am

Greetings Salemites,
As promised, this month will be all about nice things. Things that we feel would help the newer players of Salem and tear down some of the walls that we feel create unnecessary roadblocks to player interaction. One of the first steps towards this is a map. While we appreciate that there has been a 'mapping' community and that 'mapping' is very much a thing for some players in Salem. The simple reality is that the incentive to help such a project is very limited as more often than not sharing map tiles will simply reveal to others where you yourself live. We have also noticed that many players of Salem have a very limited knowledge, if any, to where they actually live in the world. While part of me appreciates the mystery this created, there is a very real threat to the game in the fact that two players cannot give reasonable or even approximations of their location without 3rd party clients, programs, or countless hours just running around trying to get their bearings. Many of which whom then still fail to make any reasonable comparison of their location in relation to the world.

That all being said. We have decided to produce for you a less-than ideal map. One which you 'could' use to navigate the world but would still have an incentive to map out your own project with a much higher resolution and detailed map. The Official Providence Map for you is here. Right click open image or right click save it if it is too big for your browser.

Please note that every lake and every mountain range is EXTREMELY accurate as this map was compiled and drawn based on a real map of the server that identified biomes down to the last pixel. While the biomes do represent the 'dominate' biome we dont' expect you to be able to navigate off them. Instead, it is intended that you will use this tool as a way to say "I live about 45 minutes west of the Sun Dial and about 35 minutes south by south east of the isle of nod. Just south of the edge of that last mountain range". Etc. etc. This means that you 'could' give a friend loose directions that could allow them to get within 10-20 minutes of your base without the need for countless hours of following a party arrow. This map also sets the stage for a metric in which we could mark the location of Top 10 Towns etc. etc. for the general community should we feel the need to ever do so.

In addition to this you will notice that there will be a series of Landmarks introduced over the upcoming days/weeks. Each of these landmarks will soon be traveled to via the same wagon masters that once took you to Limersfront and Nod. This means that in the days ahead players will have an in-game fast travel option to the landmarks shown on this map. These locations will also have horse vendors so that a player may purchase a horse and navigate the land with each of these places as a starting point.

The First Landmark "The Sundial" is now in. It was discovered by Marp Tarpton himself as he continues to seek out his long lost brother Tarp. Players may get to this sundial by taking the Southern Wagon Master from Limers Front.

The Second Landmark "The Runestones" are now in. Another letter was found.

The Third Landmark "Shield of Atlas" has been found. Along with it, this letter.

The Fourth Landmark "Sunken Ship" has been found. And of course, a letter.

The Fifth Landmark has been found.

Disclaimer for massive amounts of future tears.
We hope that this tool can be used to help strengthen the communities knowledge and understanding of the landscape without completely shattering the need and benefit of mappers and general terrain knowledge. Also. There was a bit of a 'goof' on original map generation where the map is indeed NOT a square. There is a section of the map to the North West which is NOT on this map. We do not like this section of the map as it contaminates the nice 'square' map of Providence. In the future I may spawn horrible things there, I may delete it, or it may be used for some other reason. The one thing I can guarantee is that you will NOT want to live there. I.E. Make sure you settle somewhere ON this map. Areas OFF this map are not guaranteed to always be a part of providence. If you already have a base there and are hugely interested in continuing to expand and work on it. Feel free to PM me and we may be able to work something out as I move it to another location etc. etc.
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Re: Landmarks & The Hunt for Tarp Marpton!

Postby prozhong » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:44 am

JC works another whole night :D
prozhong

Postby Silent_Bob » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:50 am

Magnificent.
Silent_Bob

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:51 am

Also.

I reserve the right to torch cities which prohibit the entry or exit of said landmarks. Don't town around my towns.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby MarpTarpton » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:52 am

I will find you Tarp, you simple, naive bastard.

I will find you.
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
MarpTarpton
Site Admin

Postby Barny » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:57 am

Good job!

Nice to find my location in the big Salem world. :)
Barny

Postby Rubberduckbandit » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:59 am

Barny wrote:Good job!

Nice to find my location in the big Salem world. :)

How can you decipher that map?
Rubberduckbandit

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:04 am

While still cumbersome I think one of the easiest ways to pick out a location would be to party people at the various landmarks and see what direction they are.... The landmarks were specifically laid out so that one could get a reasonable idea of where their base is by doing just that.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Barny » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:10 am

Rubberduckbandit wrote:How can you decipher that map?

It is a map of landmarks. This map shows Providence, lime front and other landmarks. They can be used to find your place.
Last edited by Barny on Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barny

Postby Dallane » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:11 am

nice!
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Next

Return to Announcements