Mine your own business

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Mine your own business

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:56 pm

I made sure that there is really no way to 'hurt' your chances while in a mine. There is plenty of stuff you can do there that certainly doesn't increase the odds though.

The point of the system was that the players are never truly 'penalized' for working in their mine. They are just not rewarded to the extent that one would think for going straight to the hard rock and trying to push straight to going down.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Procne » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:14 pm

Pildream wrote:while I very much enjoy the hidden stuff in the game and the fact you cannot play salem by finding everything in the wiki, I also think that there should be some way of finding clues about these secrets.

On one hand I hate situations when you aren't given necessary info on a mechanic that is difficult to test. Because how can you test the factors for finding mine entrances... You would need to dig in dozens of mines, in different ways and even then the random chance would make it difficult to guess which factor had what impact.

And that's why I came up with this hypothesis hoping to get some explanation.

On the other hand I'm fine with the explanation given. It's clear - working in the mine will slowly increase your chances of finding the entrance. Whether the direct factor is number of tiles dug, number of ore boulders mined or number of supports built - I don't care too much. All of this will come as I work in the mine. And I don't think we really need to know the details to play "properly".
Procne

Postby Pildream » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:27 pm

Procne wrote:
Pildream wrote:while I very much enjoy the hidden stuff in the game and the fact you cannot play salem by finding everything in the wiki, I also think that there should be some way of finding clues about these secrets.

On one hand I hate situations when you aren't given necessary info on a mechanic that is difficult to test. Because how can you test the factors for finding mine entrances... You would need to dig in dozens of mines, in different ways and even then the random chance would make it difficult to guess which factor had what impact.

And that's why I came up with this hypothesis hoping to get some explanation.

On the other hand I'm fine with the explanation given. It's clear - working in the mine will slowly increase your chances of finding the entrance. Whether the direct factor is number of tiles dug, number of ore boulders mined or number of supports built - I don't care too much. All of this will come as I work in the mine. And I don't think we really need to know the details to play "properly".

some of us are control freaks ¦]
Pildream

Postby tack » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:32 am

will his majesty ever purchase gems or shall i just dump them in providance square for pilgrims that likre shinny trinkets.
post powered by Dyslexia
tack

Postby DarkNacht » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:23 am

tack wrote:will his majesty ever purchase gems or shall i just dump them in providance square for pilgrims that likre shinny trinkets.

why would you think you could sell them to his majesty? If they are good sell them or slot them if not dump them.
DarkNacht

Postby tack » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:34 am

if his majesty dosnt want to buy them and they have very little use why have them at all
no body is trading them so what good do they do unless we can use them for something
post powered by Dyslexia
tack

Postby Yes » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:52 am

The only ones useless now are soil digging gems. Other ones are very useful
(a person who plays online games since the 1980s about salem) laywn wrote:I have never seen anything so down right dirty!
Yes

Postby HasseKebab » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:00 am

They don't have any use after you've fully slotted all of them into your sets
HasseKebab

Postby Procne » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:24 am

Maybe some inspirational made of gems, taking 1 of each color or each cut.
Procne

Postby Kandarim » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:12 pm

thank god witches have a use for them; everyone else sells them dirt cheap to us!
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements