Bugfix: Porta-alts

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Bugfix: Porta-alts

Postby masau » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:45 am

Not having a permanent base and not having a HS are two different things. Or were you running around without a HS until you set up your permanent base?

You can KO with just Self-Defense? In that case, I concede the point. A new player could realistically KO an attacker who is stupid before setting up a HS.
masau

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:13 am

masau wrote:Not having a permanent base and not having a HS are two different things. Or were you running around without a HS until you set up your permanent base?

You can KO with just Self-Defense? In that case, I concede the point. A new player could realistically KO an attacker who is stupid before setting up a HS.

Yeah. You only need Rights to actually initiate combat with another player. Anyone can defend themselves.

I thought I implied that I was running around without an actual homestead, so lets make that explicit: I had just created a lean-to homestead. I did use the free teleport to get away from Boston, but I broke it and just started wandering. The two things it's necessary for is a warp point to get to and from Boston and something to keep a couple of containers safe in while offline.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby masau » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:26 am

Ok. Out of curiosity, why bother destroying it at all? There's no harm in leaving an abandoned lean-to up if you don't plan on using it anyway is there? The only difference then is where you respawn if you get KO'd. But then you have the option of starting wherever you last claimed a homestead and in boston.
masau

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Again, that's one of my various "reasons" that I prefer to let others work out on their own. ;) I'm not withholding any game mechanics or (that I'm aware) bugs. I'm just doing things a bit differently.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby sabinati » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:38 pm

MagicManICT wrote:However, let me point out: you only need self-defense to KO someone that attacked you.

does that actually leave a summonable scent?
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby darnokpl » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:50 pm

sabinati wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:However, let me point out: you only need self-defense to KO someone that attacked you.

does that actually leave a summonable scent?

KO yes.
darnokpl

Postby loftar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:16 pm

darnokpl wrote:
sabinati wrote:does that actually leave a summonable scent?

KO yes.

No, knocking your opponent out does not leave a scent if he was the one who instigated the fighting relation.
loftar

Postby sabinati » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:10 pm

good!
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Onionfighter » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:11 am

While this is a necessary fix, it does remove the gameplay options of summoning someone in order to identify or memorize them, and summoning someone to rob them without killing.
Onionfighter

Postby loftar » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:12 am

Onionfighter wrote:While this is a necessary fix, it does remove the gameplay options of summoning someone in order to identify or memorize them, and summoning someone to rob them without killing.

Well, indeed. Generally, I think it should be regarded as a temporary fix until we can think of something better. Until such time, it is at least better than not having it. :)
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements