Bugfix: Porta-alts

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Bugfix: Porta-alts

Postby Droj » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:34 am

masau wrote:
Also, I feel like this would have been more awesome as a stealth update. It would be hilarious seeing all of the abusers of the bug asking wtf happened to their char XD .

This. I bet there will be someone who does it. Looking forward to some fresh raider tears ¦]
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby loftar » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:35 am

masau wrote:Also, I feel like this would have been more awesome as a stealth update. It would be hilarious seeing all of the abusers of the bug asking wtf happened to their char XD .

I know, but Jorb was too dense to realize this. ¦]

Makestro wrote:this type of band-aid fixes cause more problems than they fix.

I agree it's a suboptimal solution, but I couldn't think of any purely practical problems with it. Do you have any examples?

Realak wrote:so say a village is under attack and attempting to move away, if the attacking force has scents, you can just right click the ground and insta gib them?

What is this, I don't even. ^^
What do you even mean? It only applies to characters with no homestead.
loftar

Postby jorb » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:41 am

loftar wrote:I know, but Jorb was too dense to realize this. ¦]

It's all fun and games until I violate you.
jorb

Postby Makestro » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:13 am

Sevenless wrote:

Not in this case. Summoning someone without scents is solely done to kill someone. The use of it in any way to move characters is completely unintended and a huge abuse.

Yeah, and people who abuse it should be suspended for an in game period instead of making anyone who's left a scent in the world vulnerable to being insta gibbed for stepping into Boston.
Makestro

Postby masau » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:18 am

Makestro wrote:
Sevenless wrote:

Not in this case. Summoning someone without scents is solely done to kill someone. The use of it in any way to move characters is completely unintended and a huge abuse.

Yeah, and people who abuse it should be suspended for an in game period instead of making anyone who's left a scent in the world vulnerable to being insta gibbed for stepping into Boston.
Did you even read the OP?

The only people that will be affected by this change will be those without homesteads. I can't imagine many people who don't have homesteads are running around committing crimes - aside from those that were abusing the bug of course.

The only other way you're at risk if if someone first destroyed your homestead and *then* tried to summon you. Not particularly likely.
masau

Postby Droj » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:20 am

What's the problem? If your summoned whilst in Boston you won't die unless you don't have a homestead.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby Makestro » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:22 am

Droj wrote:What's the problem? If your summoned whilst in Boston you won't die unless you don't have a homestead.

Then I have no problem guess I misread it. Still think changes like these should come with the people abusing it being punished also but what can you do.
Makestro

Postby sabinati » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:40 am

masau wrote:Also, I feel like this would have been more awesome as a stealth update. It would be hilarious seeing all of the abusers of the bug asking wtf happened to their char XD .

yeah, it would have been much better that way ¦]
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Sevenless » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:47 am

Makestro wrote:
Sevenless wrote:

You still have to be summoned at your homestead when you're in boston. Specifically it reads "As if you were offline". That does not instanuke your homestead you know :P
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:51 am

It does then imply that, if you're in Boston without a homestead, you can get summon-killed with this.

Question, though: Does it leave murder scents for the summoner?
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements