Houston, We have a problem.

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Houston, We have a problem.

Postby kai » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:47 am

JohnCarver wrote:
kai wrote:yes, fully understand but its not right that some gain from it and others lose out through no fault of their own. rollback should always be worst case after exhausted attempts to manually replace the loses. To mention also that a wipe could ever be needed is a big warning sign that something is fundamentally wrong and should be backed up even a couple of times to make sure that never is the case.

Exactly why the rollback was the final thing we had to buckle to after multiple atempts to bandaid the issues. and exactly why we had a backup within two days of the issues arising.

I think turning off pvp would of been a good idea for a day from rollback restart for a variety of reasons which i will not post to public.
kai

Postby kai » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:49 am

MagicManICT wrote:
kai wrote:rollback should always be worst case after exhausted attempts to manually replace the loses. To mention also that a wipe could ever be needed is a big warning sign that something is fundamentally wrong and should be backed up even a couple of times to make sure that never is the case.

I see a lot of assumptions here. You did read the opening post, didn't you? I'm going to trust that JC looked at all possible fixes that are reasonable other than a wipe. Remember that hindsight is 20/20, but looking back is always a bit fuzzy. I also don't know what sort of database system is used. Being an indie game, cost is a huge factor, so you don't get the sort of reliability you'd expect from a financial institution or AAA MMO producer.

Had a nice long book written for you as a reply but as none of it will help the situation we are in i will instead just retreat to my cave with hopes we never have this situation again.
kai

Postby trungdle » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:55 am

**** I live in near Houston and all I did this month was in the last 28 hours. ****.
You thought I quit.
trungdle

Postby dakoo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:04 am

nevermind, figured it out
Last edited by dakoo on Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
dakoo

Postby trungdle » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:36 am

nah man when we bought things we agreed to let them go if needed.
You thought I quit.
trungdle

Postby pistolshrimp » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:17 am

Ouch.
Well all I gots to say is, "Keep up the good work guys."
pistolshrimp

Postby Necrobane » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:52 am

I lost my WSS :cry:

Now its real tears.
Loyal servant of Her Majesty Lallaith
Necrobane
Customer

Postby Nektaris » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:21 am

Ha! Get mad.
oleanna wrote:It's a part of the game. Stealing stuff with larceny or with brain is a way like an other !
Nektaris

Postby Raw_Weirdness » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:38 am

Rollbacks are bad... But risking a world wipe is allways worse :)
So in my book you did what needed to be done even thou you knew it will cost you.
Thnx for the sharing the info with us.
I will growl as the uggly troll I am every time things like this happens, but I will know it is the right thing to do. ¦]
Raw_Weirdness

Postby Scilly_guy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:35 pm

I know it is a good thing that you were about to go to a backup, but part of me is a little sad there wasn't a wipe, I find the start of a world exciting, I only find it fun because everyone is in the same boat.
Scilly_guy

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements