Houston, We have a problem.

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Houston, We have a problem.

Postby kai » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:22 am

Loses are far more than a store hat. feel like grinch just stole my christmas.
kai

Postby Heffernan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:32 am

kai wrote:Loses are far more than a store hat. feel like grinch just stole my christmas.

surely the devs must have prepared more for christmas then witches and diseases ¦]

edit:

Providence
State Crashed
Heffernan

Postby kai » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:38 am

Groundhog day? i am going to keep repeating same tasks but every time the outcome gets far worse :geek:
kai

Postby DarkNacht » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:39 am

kai wrote:Loses are far more than a store hat. feel like grinch just stole my christmas.

Yeah me too, I even put off work to ***** around with the new patch so now I don't have any of the new **** and I have to do the work I put off, but **** happens. I think the hats are just to soften the blow a little not to make up for it.
DarkNacht

Postby allpedro » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:42 am

server crashed again.... totally not a day to play salem :cry:
Pelegrino II - The Lord Barrabás.
allpedro

Postby kai » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:48 am

DarkNacht wrote:

Yeah me too but **** happens. I think the hats are just to soften the blow a little not to make up for it.

yes, fully understand but its not right that some gain from it and others lose out through no fault of their own. rollback should always be worst case after exhausted attempts to manually replace the loses. To mention also that a wipe could ever be needed is a big warning sign that something is fundamentally wrong and should be backed up even a couple of times to make sure that never is the case.
kai

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:01 am

kai wrote:rollback should always be worst case after exhausted attempts to manually replace the loses. To mention also that a wipe could ever be needed is a big warning sign that something is fundamentally wrong and should be backed up even a couple of times to make sure that never is the case.

I see a lot of assumptions here. You did read the opening post, didn't you? I'm going to trust that JC looked at all possible fixes that are reasonable other than a wipe. Remember that hindsight is 20/20, but looking back is always a bit fuzzy. I also don't know what sort of database system is used. Being an indie game, cost is a huge factor, so you don't get the sort of reliability you'd expect from a financial institution or AAA MMO producer.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Killface2 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:04 am

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate how much more ***** awesome this has been handled than Those-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named would have, and have handled similar issues in the past?
Thank you for this rollback, and thank you to any bug reporters who respected the game enough to be honest, as opposed to taking the Wayneville/Valuetown ***** strategy and running with it.
Killface2

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:30 am

kai wrote:yes, fully understand but its not right that some gain from it and others lose out through no fault of their own. rollback should always be worst case after exhausted attempts to manually replace the loses. To mention also that a wipe could ever be needed is a big warning sign that something is fundamentally wrong and should be backed up even a couple of times to make sure that never is the case.

Exactly why the rollback was the final thing we had to buckle to after multiple atempts to bandaid the issues. and exactly why we had a backup within two days of the issues arising.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Turmith » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:40 am

Appreciate all your work JC !
Turmith

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements