Stocking up on Tears

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Stocking up on Tears

Postby Scilly_guy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Taipion wrote: There is nothing 100% safe, there is no protection that can't be removed.

Anything that can be done by software can be UNdone by software.
Scilly_guy
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: Stocking up on Tears

Postby alprice » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:35 pm

IMO I do not like the raid Leantoo homestead mechanic. I shed a tear everytime that I hear someone say that they took someone's clothes, silver, etc. How is a new person supposed to survive and actually stick with the game like I have for these 2 years. I understand that it isn't Salem until you have been raided, killed, or made an enemy or two. I just think it's harsh that someone can raid your area so easily and take your hard earned items and then raid your Leantoo. I don't like it one bit.
Embie is my name :P
User avatar
alprice
 
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:29 am
Location: Dreamland

Re: Stocking up on Tears

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:39 pm

alprice wrote:IMO I do not like the raid Leantoo homestead mechanic. I shed a tear everytime that I hear someone say that they took someone's clothes, silver, etc. How is a new person supposed to survive and actually stick with the game like I have for these 2 years. I understand that it isn't Salem until you have been raided, killed, or made an enemy or two. I just think it's harsh that someone can raid your area so easily and take your hard earned items and then raid your Leantoo. I don't like it one bit.


Then you only have yourself to blame for not having a town for these new players to live in until they are strong enough to build their own base that is easily defended. There is a big difference between not liking something, and not liking something enough to do something about it. Clearly its something you prefer was different, but don't care to invest the time or resources to change it.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
User avatar
JohnCarver
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6826
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:02 am

Re: Stocking up on Tears

Postby Heffernan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:53 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
alprice wrote:IMO I do not like the raid Leantoo homestead mechanic. I shed a tear everytime that I hear someone say that they took someone's clothes, silver, etc. How is a new person supposed to survive and actually stick with the game like I have for these 2 years. I understand that it isn't Salem until you have been raided, killed, or made an enemy or two. I just think it's harsh that someone can raid your area so easily and take your hard earned items and then raid your Leantoo. I don't like it one bit.


Then you only have yourself to blame for not having a town for these new players to live in until they are strong enough to build their own base that is easily defended. There is a big difference between not liking something, and not liking something enough to do something about it. Clearly its something you prefer was different, but don't care to invest the time or resources to change it.


with the hostile environment the people are giving not a surprise.
User avatar
Heffernan
 
Posts: 8362
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:07 pm
Location: Marps Closet

Re: Stocking up on Tears

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:59 pm

Salem is a hostile environment indeed. Thats what makes it different, and in my opinion that is what makes it great.

Every other MMO on the market will give you a harshly regulated environment where players are essentially 'forced' to play nice with one another and have very few mechanics or opportunities, if any, to do otherwise.

Here, for better or for worse, humanity stands on its own merits and not under an illusion created by restrictive mechanics.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
User avatar
JohnCarver
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6826
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:02 am

Re: Stocking up on Tears

Postby alprice » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:05 pm

Easier said then done I guess. I made a town once to help several new players. That lasted long enough for one person to kill one of the players because so many want to play the game just to be grievers. I wrote my opinion about this because I don't think I would be here today if I would have logged in and didn't have clothes or silver that I had worked so hard for. If the game is moving toward only raiding, then new players need to be given the chance to join a town and towns should be made to take them in. Maybe the towns could be given some sort of incentive for taking in the new players.
Embie is my name :P
User avatar
alprice
 
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:29 am
Location: Dreamland

Re: Stocking up on Tears

Postby Lusewing » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:09 pm

My town is hopefully getting close to the stage where we can start offering a safe(er) area in which players can start their lives and learn about the game. I think a lot of the newbie towns have fallen so quickly due to not being prepaired for the worse (raiders and greifers both outside of town and within). Thus I am hopefull that I can at least try and give the best shot at a 'starting town' - and if it fails then hopefully we can all learn from it.
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
User avatar
Lusewing
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Re: Stocking up on Tears

Postby Argentis » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:22 pm

We need a background check on every new player in Salem. If their background check is beyond reproach then they can join a town where they will be safe. Just make sure they have no ties to ISIS before they blow you up!
Who has access to police records?
User avatar
Argentis
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Stocking up on Tears

Postby Procne » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Will NSA's backdoor access to facebook servers work?
Image
Procne
 
Posts: 3696
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Re: Stocking up on Tears

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:05 am

alprice wrote: Maybe the towns could be given some sort of incentive for taking in the new players.


A Town has a massive incentive for taking in a new player. Its another set of hands to man the workload.

If a player cannot provide enough value that 'free' labor is not an asset. Then that player surely doesn't deserve to live in a town and I could honestly care less what happens to this player as Salem is clearly not the game for them. If a town cannot find a way to gain value out of having another member who is going to help build and strengthen the town, then that town doesn't deserve the MASSIVELY OVERPOWERED benefit of a large player base.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
User avatar
JohnCarver
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6826
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:02 am

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests