"Darkness Friday" -Cash Shop- Version

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: "Darkness Friday" -Cash Shop- Version

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:26 pm

grapefruitv wrote:If silver was any cheaper, game would be way too pay-to-win-ish.

I feel strongly this way as well. The idea is that playing Salem for the sole purpose of "gaining silver" can out-pace the 'income' at many low-end jobs. This means, that the player who works a 6 hour low-end job, comes home, and spends the entire amount on silver is not always guaranteed to have more silver than the player who spent that same 6 hours farming it.

While it would be impossible to balance this against high-paying jobs it certainly doesn't make it feel pay2win when earning silver-in-game outpaces the $$ salary of many jobs.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:14 am

JohnCarver wrote:I feel strongly this way as well. The idea is that playing Salem for the sole purpose of "gaining silver" can out-pace the 'income' at many low-end jobs. This means, that the player who works a 6 hour low-end job, comes home, and spends the entire amount on silver is not always guaranteed to have more silver than the player who spent that same 6 hours farming it.

This actually would be a good reason to lower it, as a player only needs so much silver in the game before running out of room to store it. (Silver purchased off the store is, as stated, safe in the bank until removed.) People that are going to grind silver are going to do so no matter the price in the shop, but at a lower price, you could see incomes go up, less grind from a variety of players, or various other outcomes that could be positive for overall game growth. It could be worth doing experiments with at some point.

While it would be impossible to balance this against high-paying jobs it certainly doesn't make it feel pay2win when earning silver-in-game outpaces the $$ salary of many jobs.

If only I could sell my silver back to the game for USD, then I might consider giving up my underpaying job to grind Salem all day....

But until that point, I got other bills to pay and kids to finish raising.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby DarkNacht » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:50 am

High sliver prices helps prevent silver from becoming worthless in game and encourages people to buy other items to sell in game which allows people that can't buy from the cash shot to get those items. The price should definitely not go down because silver should not be worth buying unless you need it fast and don't have time to make a trade.
DarkNacht

Postby Fyrtech » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:22 am

I found my 300 silver in boston or providence or somewhere

my bad I expected it to go straight to man purse
Fyrtech

Postby NordErdTod » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:33 am

Silver definetely shouldn't be worthless in game. All of this sounds quite logical.

Except my job isn't uderpayed = )
It's pretty middlepayed for here for a 8-hour working day.

Though I would grind for silver even if the price for it would go half down, as it would be still too expensive for me = ) I guess it would take me less time to earn 10k silver in Salem than by working and earning 90 USD IRL = ))
I'm a poor student though ))
NordErdTod

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:07 am

DarkNacht wrote: The price should definitely not go down because silver should not be worth buying unless you need it fast and don't have time to make a trade.

this is a statement I can agree with, at least, for a good reason to keep silver prices up.

the amount of silver per dollar spent does dictate the price of items gotten from the store, too.

NordErdTod wrote:I guess it would take me less time to earn 10k silver in Salem than by working and earning 90 USD IRL = ))

IF you earn the average salary in the US, which is around $20/hr according to the Social Security website (for 2013), that'd be about half a day of work to make that. (And note that is a big if with a lot of factors.)
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby OrestNecros » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:50 am

My point here is quite simple - buy cash shop items and sell it ingame for silver. You will receive much more silver per $ this way and make some players (who can`t or don`t want to pay cash) much happier.
OrestNecros

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:47 pm

We will be ending this sale tonight. We have found that Last Will's are generally 'desirable' and were perhaps a bit overpriced. As a result they will return to a price below that of which they were before, (more than their sale price though).
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Killface » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:17 am

Probably a stupid request but the worst that can happen is a 'no'
Could you extend this through cyber monday?
I was still on the fence about how much to spend, but wanted to see how much I'd have left over after newegg sales and stuff.
I realize you warned us it wouldn't be long, sorry.

NordErdTod wrote:90 USD for 10k silver is more than a half of my monthly salary = )

:cry:
Killface

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:26 am

Sorry but we did decide to not extend the sale through cyber monday.

The Will is now cheaper though and at it's new price of $4.49.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements