New Darkness Mob

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: New Darkness Mob

Postby agentlemanloser » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:59 am

The wishpoosh, I am guessing, is based upon various Native American myths of monstrous beaver. Many of those Native American myths, particularly those dealing with the so-called "grandfather of" monstrous variants of living species, likely derive from attempts to incorporate fossil discoveries (for instance, the once-extensive beds at Big Bone Lick in Kentucky) into preexisting worldviews (hence, mastodons become the grandfather of bison, etc.). The wishpoosh of, say, Chinook origin clearly derives from observation of Pleistocene Castoroides fossil remains. So, this makes me wonder two things: first, do the developers intend to build darkness creatures from Native American lore, and second, do the developers consider early settler beliefs about American fauna derived from misidentified fossils to be thematically acceptable? Some early settlers, based upon mammoth fossil finds on the Ohio river, believed that mammoths lived in the unexplored West.
agentlemanloser

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:40 am

agentlemanloser wrote: do the developers intend to build darkness creatures from Native American lore,

Some of them. Yes.
agentlemanloser wrote: and second, do the developers consider early settler beliefs about American fauna derived from misidentified fossils to be thematically acceptable? Some early settlers, based upon mammoth fossil finds on the Ohio river, believed that mammoths lived in the unexplored West.

Yes.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby agentlemanloser » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:49 am

JohnCarver wrote:
agentlemanloser wrote: do the developers intend to build darkness creatures from Native American lore,

Some of them. Yes.
agentlemanloser wrote: and second, do the developers consider early settler beliefs about American fauna derived from misidentified fossils to be thematically acceptable? Some early settlers, based upon mammoth fossil finds on the Ohio river, believed that mammoths lived in the unexplored West.

Yes.

Excellent. Both are rich veins worth mining. I recommend the short-faced bear.
agentlemanloser

Postby DarkNacht » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:49 am

agentlemanloser wrote:Excellent. Both are rich veins worth mining. I recommend the short-faced bear.

A bear that even on all fours is as tall as a man, isn't that basically what we have now. How about a Gumberoo.
DarkNacht

Postby Heffernan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:16 pm

JohnCarver wrote:

Some of them. Yes.

Yes.

WTB Bigfoot
Heffernan

Postby Gacrux » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:45 pm

please.

:D
Gacrux

Postby Nezrukas » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:38 pm

Sqonk! :D

and also :D that:
Nezrukas

Postby DarkNacht » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Nezrukas wrote:
Sqonk! :D

and also :D that:

You forgot hidebehinds.
DarkNacht

Postby Thor » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:18 am

Wishpoosh seem to be fairly forgiving when it comes to killing blow. I got KOd a couple of times and nothing.
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby DarkNacht » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:44 am

Thor wrote:Wishpoosh seem to be fairly forgiving when it comes to killing blow. I got KOd a couple of times and nothing.

How long were the fights?
DarkNacht

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements