November Patch Warnings

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Halloween Patch Warnings

Postby Kreek » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:48 pm

alprice wrote:I will be handing out candy, what to do???

Make sure the candy is scented.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.
Kreek

Postby ericbomb » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:53 pm

JohnCarver wrote:ETA 4 hours.

Cmon John a lot of us will be doing stuff in four hours, why not now? :D
JohnCarver wrote:I reserve the right to torch your base.

JohnCarver wrote:I am offended!
ericbomb

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:56 pm

ericbomb wrote:
Cmon John a lot of us will be doing stuff in four hours, why not now? :D

In all honesty. The Server itself is getting an upgrade. I scheduled the patch to drop in the same window that the server will be taken offline for performance upgrades anyway. Otherwise I drop the patch, you guys play with it for 1-2 hours before it comes down all over again :).

That being said. We have 'events' 'plans' and general shennanigans planned ALL WEEKEND LONG. So being here for the initial drop I don't imagine is going to be all that important.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby ericbomb » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:58 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
In all honesty. The Server itself is getting an upgrade. I scheduled the patch to drop in the same window that the server will be taken offline for performance upgrades anyway. Otherwise I drop the patch, you guys play with it for 1-2 hours before it comes down all over again :).

That being said. We have 'events' 'plans' and general shennanigans planned ALL WEEKEND LONG. So being here for the initial drop I don't imagine is going to be all that important.

That's... actually a really logical reason to do it at that time. Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.....
JohnCarver wrote:I reserve the right to torch your base.

JohnCarver wrote:I am offended!
ericbomb

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:13 pm

Taking your "new world" example... there was severe oppression of anyone "not of the normal" back then. The church was fragmenting, England seemed to be in constant rebellion, the Dutch were developing a new business model of corporations over mercantilism. It was a distinct period of time that drove colonialism (hardly the last, but periods such as this don't come along often). There was a great desire among many to be able to think and act in a way that was outside the norm (kind of what still drives the US today and creates all kinds of conflict internally). People made these high risk decisions because it was the only apparent option. The pilgrims tried being patriots, coexisting in a foreign land (Netherlands), and finally settled on shipping off to Plymouth colony. What other alternative did they have to practice their beliefs as they saw them? It wasn't a matter of risk/reward, as the risk was, at this point in time, certain death (as the disappearance of Roanoke and faltering of Jamestown), but of freedom and "tolerance." However, several Spanish and Portuguese colonies had already become successful. Given that the Inquisition was going on at this time, the alternative was still potentially death (who's to say the Church of England wouldn't have turned to burning heretics?), so why not take the chance to live? Personally, I say that there wasn't many other options given the world at the time.

(If only I could find some place to found a colony for my church... ¦] )

Now, given the history of things, had they been able to predict that in 30 years civil war was going to break out in England over this very thing, they might have stayed, or they might have rejoiced over seeing the future and "getting out of Dodge" before the fighting started.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Vulkik » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:57 pm

As long as we can craft JC's top-hat, I will be happy.
Vulkik

Postby pistolshrimp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:09 pm

MagicManICT wrote:freedom and tolerance

This certainly is the myth of the pilgrims. Turth was they left the Netherlands because it was too liberal, they felt like it was going to make thier children liberal as well.
pistolshrimp

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:16 pm

Good point. I was speaking more of why they left England in the first place. This is why I fail at writing. Typical attitude was (is), "Freedom and tolerance for us as long as you follow our ways. Don't expect in return if you refuse to do so."
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby KruskDaMangled » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:24 pm

pistolshrimp wrote:

This certainly is the myth of the pilgrims. Turth was they left the Netherlands because it was too liberal, they felt like it was going to make thier children liberal as well.

Well, that, and look up Merrymount Colony. Many Pilgrims doubtless didn't like the "easy" nature of the place and stuff like the Maypole/Mayday celebration, and some of the harder nosed types also didn't like the economic competition. So they kind of burned it to the ground and arrested a lot of people including the guy in charge, Thomas Morton, who was to be sent back to England in chains. (He later however, managed to escape the island they marooned him on till a ship was going to pick him up after regaining his strength because indians who liked him brought him food, and probably also a canoe or something. Or maybe not them. But I figure someone helped him because a guy who wasn't familiar with the country and wasn't a real wilderness expert would have needed some help and guidance to escape.)

He then got the charter of the Puritans revoked by writing a book on how to settle called "New Canaan" about how you basically shouldn't do what the Pilgrims were doing.( That along with other stuff) He then stupidly went BACK to the colonies and where they could get his hands on him, and spent some time in jail under charges of sedition and other stuff. They let him out because he was literally dying in the prison, and he died with friends in Maine. (He was 71 at that point so I don't even know why he thought a long journey over the Atlantic was a good idea at all, much less to somewhere that really disliked him and would have hanged him or something if they thought they could get away with it. The only reason they didn't is because they couldn't execute someone that important out of hand.)
KruskDaMangled

Postby agentlemanloser » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:36 pm

pistolshrimp wrote:

This certainly is the myth of the pilgrims. Truth was they left the Netherlands because it was too liberal, they felt like it was going to make their children liberal as well.

Absolutely. These guys are part of the larger movement that felt it necessary to shut down the Globe theater in London, Shakespeare's stomping ground, and physically punish actors. Puritans would have felt right at home in a certain mountainous Middle Eastern nation. So, yes, nobody wanted them around in Europe, but then again they hardly wanted to be there as well (unless, of course, they could institute a theocracy). So, JC, you will be giving us a Merrymount option, yes?
agentlemanloser

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements