November Patch Warnings

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Halloween Patch Warnings

Postby Heffernan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 pm

so.. wheres my patchnotes?
Heffernan

Postby pistolshrimp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:29 pm

It's like 9:30 in California, give it time.
pistolshrimp

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:42 pm

Blood wrote:High risk gives high rewards, low risk low rewards VERY SIMPLE STUFF. Our whole world is based around it,[...]

For fear of derailing this into a psychology discussion...

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Ideal game design is this way. Being an ideal doesn't make it right or the best choice. Also, no, the world is not based around it. Somehow, certain people have developed this adrenaline-fueled view of the world, though. In reality, the world is a pretty "low risk" (in terms of making decisions to survive). Organisms only choose the riskier option if it's necessary. Only in higher functioning animals that have been trained in such a way do you see higher risk behaviors as a choice (and then is that really a choice). In humans, there's a whole mess of cognitive and emotional issues at play.

In realms such as finance where high risk-high reward function fairly well, the maths of economics really have eliminated the "high risk" aspect and it's not really high risk, but "do I have enough money to throw at the wall until some sticks and pays off in rainbows and unicorns?" That's why only the truly rich get wealthy off this stuff.

As far as other areas of "high risk, high reward," the risk is either emotional or physical, and the payoff is always in emotion.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby pistolshrimp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:21 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Blood wrote:High risk gives high rewards, low risk low rewards VERY SIMPLE STUFF. Our whole world is based around it,[...]

For fear of derailing this into a psychology discussion...

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Ideal game design is this way. Being an ideal doesn't make it right or the best choice. Also, no, the world is not based around it. Somehow, certain people have developed this adrenaline-fueled view of the world, though. In reality, the world is a pretty "low risk" (in terms of making decisions to survive). Organisms only choose the riskier option if it's necessary. Only in higher functioning animals that have been trained in such a way do you see higher risk behaviors as a choice (and then is that really a choice). In humans, there's a whole mess of cognitive and emotional issues at play.

In realms such as finance where high risk-high reward function fairly well, the maths of economics really have eliminated the "high risk" aspect and it's not really high risk, but "do I have enough money to throw at the wall until some sticks and pays off in rainbows and unicorns?" That's why only the truly rich get wealthy off this stuff.

As far as other areas of "high risk, high reward," the risk is either emotional or physical, and the payoff is always in emotion.

While I agree with everything you just said. Keep in mind that this game takes place nearly 400 years ago. The stakes and payoffs were much different than they are today. Coming to the "New" World was a high risk high reward situation. Choosing to settle near town or father out closer to raw materials high risk high reward. To argue our world is based on high risk high reward, low risk low reward is foolish, but I would argue that concept would definetely fit better ih colonial america.
pistolshrimp

Postby Heffernan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:34 pm

pistolshrimp wrote:It's like 9:30 in California, give it time.

this is the internet,

What they Say: Release 31 october
what we want: release october 31 00:01
what we usually get. release october 31 23:59
Heffernan

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:40 pm

ETA 4 hours.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Judaism » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:41 pm

JohnCarver wrote:ETA 4 hours.

Thats great, can't wait for it.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby ericbomb » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:42 pm

BOO I'm being dragged to a halloween party in four hours :x I can't wait until afterwards to see patch :evil:
JohnCarver wrote:I reserve the right to torch your base.

JohnCarver wrote:I am offended!
ericbomb

Postby alprice » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:44 pm

I will be handing out candy, what to do???
Embie is my name :P
alprice

Postby Kreek » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:45 pm

*does the patch dance*

I remember a time when the New Devs were taking over.
I remember at that time there were many people who doubted their ability to deliver.
After many solid patches, the New Devs are to be doubted no more.

(but I love the discussion about future implementations :D )
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.
Kreek

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements