November Patch Warnings

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Halloween Patch Warnings

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:20 pm

Potjeh wrote:How much of the intended features couldn't make it in on time?

I believe the 'biggest' disappointment was our realization of the magnitude that is animal implementation. Along with everything else it was a bit too lofty for us to 'cram' half a dozen or a dozen new animals into a single patch. This is a similar realization we had when it came to all the things we wanted to do to 'professions' earlier on in the development cycle.

As we did with Professions, we will aim to implement 'some' new 'darkness stuff' each patch in the future.

Otherwise, it was simply a bunch of recycled AI and mechanics on a dozen different skins. We feel that we owe more to Salem than just putting in 'watered down' content simply to meet a deadline.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby summertime » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:22 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
As we did with Professions, we will aim to implement 'some' new 'darkness stuff' each patch in the future.

just keep keeping in mind how you want to balance living at darkness vs not living at darkness
summertime

Postby DarkNacht » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:02 am

summertime wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:

just keep keeping in mind how you want to balance living at darkness vs not living at darkness

It should not be balanced, live/wandering int the darkness should be much harder with little reward.
DarkNacht

Postby TotalyMeow » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:30 am

TotalyMeow wrote:I'm typing the notes now

Patch notes done. I am now taking bribes. ¦]
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby psyfreak » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:03 am

TotalyMeow wrote:

1000s if you post within the next 5 minutes!
"Like produces like."
psyfreak

Postby lachlaan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:21 am

TotalyMeow wrote:

How about a hug? I give great hugs!
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby summertime » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:30 am

DarkNacht wrote:
summertime wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:

It should not be balanced, live/wandering int the darkness should be much harder with little reward.

thats precisely what a form of balance is: making something harder in exchange for higher reward.

if you get too much reward for too little risk, then thats a concern because if the reward/risk ratio becomes too high most of the map essentially becomes useless and only darkness becomes viable
summertime

Postby DarkNacht » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:53 am

summertime wrote:
DarkNacht wrote:
summertime wrote:just keep keeping in mind how you want to balance living at darkness vs not living at darkness

thats precisely what a form of balance is: making something harder in exchange for higher reward.

if you get too much reward for too little risk, then thats a concern because if the reward/risk ratio becomes too high most of the map essentially becomes useless and only darkness becomes viable

Darkness should be higher risk for basically no extra reward. The reward for doing things like grinding darkness creatures should be so small that it should not be worth it. Right now there is so much benefit from grinding darkness creatures that if your main base is not in the darkness you need to build a hunting outpost or buy mats from people who hunt darkness creatures, I want to see that change. Darkness creatures should be things to be avoided and to defend yourself against for those mad enough to venture too far from civilization, not things to farm for mats. There should be almost no benefit from hunting darkness creature, it should be just enough that if you have the mats from one you will use them over then normal mats but far to low to be worth hunting them. Anything dropped from a darkness creature that is good enough that someone might be willing to consider grinding them for should be so rare that its practically a myth.
DarkNacht

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:23 am

I can't agree with the "high risk, low reward." No matter what you add, people will farm it. If the reward is currently too high for the amount of risk, up the risk and/or lower the reward. Darkness should be dangerous, yes, and there should be reward for being able to adventure there. It should be hard, even for advanced players. The point is somewhere for increased reward for more advanced players. The "risk/reward" ratio is something that is going to fluctuate based on character power, and is a moving target that's hard to fix in sandbox games.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Blood » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:35 am

DarkNacht wrote:
Darkness should be higher risk for basically no extra reward. The reward for doing things like grinding darkness creatures should be so small that it should not be worth it. Right now there is so much benefit from grinding darkness creatures that if your main base is not in the darkness you need to build a hunting outpost or buy mats from people who hunt darkness creatures, I want to see that change. Darkness creatures should be things to be avoided and to defend yourself against for those mad enough to venture too far from civilization, not things to farm for mats. There should be almost no benefit from hunting darkness creature, it should be just enough that if you have the mats from one you will use them over then normal mats but far to low to be worth hunting them. Anything dropped from a darkness creature that is good enough that someone might be willing to consider grinding them for should be so rare that its practically a myth.

I thought about arguing about this, but suggesting high risk no reward is just dumb and goes against common sense.
Blood

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements