Welcome Marp Tarpton

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Welcome Marp Tarpton

Postby Lusewing » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:10 am

Marp Tarpton, its so lovely to meet another one of this incredable team.

I have a question, how easy/challenging have you found it adopting the art style of Salem?
Last edited by Lusewing on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby Bearcub » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:12 am

Welcome to the forum, MT :D
Trade is the first step to the diplomacy.
Diplomacy is a tool for unification.
Then be honest with your customers to make new bonds!
Bearcub

Postby alloin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:34 am

O hai ther !
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Procne » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:14 pm

Inventory and crafting menu icons had this simple, cartoonish / drawing style. But it seems to change now, for example coppergrinder icon or animal hearts. Many new icons are more detailed and realistic, but less... distinguishable. Does anyone else prefer the old style more?

Oh, and please remember that those icons are displayed on dark background, they don't look very well if they are dark / black themselves.
Procne

Postby Cheena » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:33 pm

cannibalkirby wrote:well man or not he posted a few pictures of himself on that thread which has mysteriously vanished from the archives :cry:

You mean that ? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1728
Trust your enemies more than your friends. Your enemies will never betray you.
loftar wrote:***** the treaty.

(Note: Citation is severely out of context.)
Cheena

Postby MarpTarpton » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Cheena wrote:Are you responsible for that !? Image

Oh I mean, welcome. :D

You weren't aware that mid 17th century caterpillars were battling a plague in North America?

RyanS77 wrote:Why does sex hurt my butt so much?

Fun Fact: Failure to properly lubricate your Brick of Sodom and Gomorrah may result in difficulty when placing it into the incomplete Brick Wall.

Lusewing wrote: how easy/challenging have you found it adopting the art style of Salem?

Not very difficult. The dark/whimsical aspect is very attractive engaging. There are others on the team with far better grasp of it than myself, but I can whip out a not-absolutely-terrible icon when trying to meet a deadline.

Procne wrote:Inventory and crafting menu icons had this simple, cartoonish / drawing style. But it seems to change now, for example coppergrinder icon or animal hearts. Many new icons are more detailed and realistic, but less... distinguishable. Does anyone else prefer the old style more?

Oh, and please remember that those icons are displayed on dark background, they don't look very well if they are dark / black themselves.

I am not the only artist being utilized at the moment. I'm not sure how many had a hand in the original production team's art, but I have been told that certain graphics received updates much later than original launch, like the New World Gourd, Virginia Snail, and Beautiful Seashell among others (at least per JC). It would be my recommendation to remember that Salem is still in Beta and that at this stage having a functioning world with discernibly different art structures that aren't simply different renditions of the same as different colors will always trump ensuring art consistency. Each of our artists has a unique style that they try to conform to the game's existing art, and as long as it's within a range of acceptability, it's used.

That being said, the individual who did the grinder did so under duress after having been imprisoned and psychologically abused for an extended period of time and creating textures on 3D meshes can be very tricky.
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
MarpTarpton
Site Admin

Postby Procne » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:12 pm

MarpTarpton wrote:I am not the only artist being utilized at the moment. I'm not sure how many had a hand in the original production team's art, but I have been told that certain graphics received updates much later than original launch, like the New World Gourd, Virginia Snail, and Beautiful Seashell among others (at least per JC). It would be my recommendation to remember that Salem is still in Beta and that at this stage having a functioning world with discernibly different art structures that aren't simply different renditions of the same as different colors will always trump ensuring art consistency. Each of our artists has a unique style that they try to conform to the game's existing art, and as long as it's within a range of acceptability, it's used.

That being said, the individual who did the grinder did so under duress after having been imprisoned and psychologically abused for an extended period of time and creating textures on 3D meshes can be very tricky.

Thanks for the answer but I meant only inventory / menu icons, not 3d objects
Procne

Postby Gacrux » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:52 pm

Welcome to the team MT, hope your body is ready.
Gacrux

Postby MarpTarpton » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Procne wrote:Thanks for the answer but I meant only inventory / menu icons, not 3d objects

Like this and this? Or this and this? We will go through and update as necessary, but currently the team's priority is to create a functioning product. That being said, there are 2D icons (lamb of tartary) that are too indistinct and dark, as you mentioned, and I will look into a way of standardizing how icons using dark colors are handled. I like the beetle with its 1px light border and it may be as simple as that.

Gacrux wrote:hope your body is ready.

I'd like to say I've been training for this day since the beginning of my captivity. However, the truth is that I hadn't anticipated receiving a pink name. I realize no amount of preparation can help me to suffer the abuse you folks dole out on admins/moderators, but I'm just here to answer questions, provide input, and gather ideas. :) Oh, and fun things. I'd like to do some fun things as well, the first of which I'll start planning as soon as I've caught up with my chore list for JC.
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
MarpTarpton
Site Admin

Postby Thor » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Good luck, have fun.
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements