September Developer Event

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: September Developer Event

Postby Procne » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:07 pm

That's weird, Salem client usually eats 400-600MB of memory, and doesn't increase. But maybe my playsessions are too short to notice?
Sure, it may be much for a game like this, but if you take into account it's java then it's not so bad.

No memory leak noticed anyway.
Procne

Postby Feone » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Orcling wrote:The program/client uses way more of your pc's memory than it should, wanting more and more of it. A single client ain't that bad, but multiple client obviously amplify the ***** that is the Salem client. Memory leaks are like fat women eating cake. They expand faster than you can feed them.

I notice no significant increase in memory usage over time. Sure, the client takes a lot to begin with & is rather hard on the pc but I'm not seeing any actual leaking.
Feone

Postby Kandarim » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:42 pm

Even before the recent fix to the memory leak in my client, I had zero problems running 5-6 clients at the same time (with 8 GB RAM, which isn't all that high these days) for an hour or so. It generally didn't take longer than that (remember, no two-hour long dev events at that time yet).
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Orcling » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Kandarim wrote:Even before the recent fix to the memory leak in my client, I had zero problems running 5-6 clients at the same time (with 8 GB RAM, which isn't all that high these days) for an hour or so. It generally didn't take longer than that (remember, no two-hour long dev events at that time yet).

I've got 12 gb but when I run more than 3 clients, the entire thing becomes a picture slideshow. At the event i used 2 and the lag was still horrible.
Orcling

Postby Procne » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Orcling wrote:
Kandarim wrote:Even before the recent fix to the memory leak in my client, I had zero problems running 5-6 clients at the same time (with 8 GB RAM, which isn't all that high these days) for an hour or so. It generally didn't take longer than that (remember, no two-hour long dev events at that time yet).

I've got 12 gb but when I run more than 3 clients, the entire thing becomes a picture slideshow. At the event i used 2 and the lag was still horrible.

It's not memory issue, but CPU. Single instance of Salem client uses whole CPU core. If you have i7 Intel CPU or some 8-core AMDs then running 5-6 clients probably won't be an issue.
Procne

Postby Orcling » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:59 pm

Procne wrote:
Orcling wrote:

It's not memory issue, but CPU. Single instance of Salem client uses whole CPU core. If you have i7 Intel CPU or some 8-core AMDs then running 5-6 clients probably won't be an issue.

I've got i5 Intel =/ Nothing too fancy, but normally it should be able to handle a few java clients. I should probably upgrade soon, though. It's getting old.
Orcling

Postby Procne » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Orcling wrote:I've got i5 Intel =/ Nothing too fancy, but normally it should be able to handle a few java clients. I should probably upgrade soon, though. It's getting old.

Nah, stronger CPU won't help. More cores would. But it should be possible to optimize Salem client in this matter a bit. I'm pretty sure it doesn't "need" the whole CPU. Some additional sleep in the main loop maybe? Or between frames? Other thing is not many people run more than 2-3 clients at the same time

Anyway, if you minimize clients they stop eating CPU, so you can run 10 at the same time and they won't log if you have only 1 or 2 visible
Procne

Postby Potjeh » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:25 pm

One client and six cores here, initially I was fine, but with every time the devs ported me my client got laggier. Using Kandarim's.
Potjeh

Postby Kandarim » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Procne wrote:
Orcling wrote:I've got i5 Intel =/ Nothing too fancy, but normally it should be able to handle a few java clients. I should probably upgrade soon, though. It's getting old.

Nah, stronger CPU won't help. More cores would. But it should be possible to optimize Salem client in this matter a bit. I'm pretty sure it doesn't "need" the whole CPU. Some additional sleep in the main loop maybe? Or between frames? Other thing is not many people run more than 2-3 clients at the same time

The client aims for 50 fps when rendering. If it doesn't get that, it settles for less, but it almost never gets that :) Not for my processor anyway. If you run a custom client through a .bat file, you can view debug info like the framerate by launching with the -d flag:

Code: Select all
java -jar salem.jar -d -U http://game.salemthegame.com/res/ game.salemthegame.com

Procne wrote:Anyway, if you minimize clients they stop eating CPU, so you can run 10 at the same time and they won't log if you have only 1 or 2 visible

does the default client do this now, too? That was something I specifically implemented in my version.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby JinxDevona » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks for the fun event, especially the cruelness of calling recipes made with radishes and turtles (how do you break the darn turtles!?!...lol). I love the "Derp" system message as well. Ended with 2 carver pies and 1 meow pie. Now to build an oven. :roll: :lol:
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. ~Margaret Thatcher
JinxDevona

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements