Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!

Postby Potjeh » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:59 pm

I dig the direction of making distinct professions that depend on each other, but I think that having to know how to forge halberds to be able to use them goes against that. Same goes for swords. IMO you should make a separate mid-to-high tier skill for forging weapons, and lower the requirements for Polearms skill.
Potjeh

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Potjeh wrote:I dig the direction of making distinct professions that depend on each other, but I think that having to know how to forge halberds to be able to use them goes against that. Same goes for swords. IMO you should make a separate mid-to-high tier skill for forging weapons, and lower the requirements for Polearms skill.

I like this idea. In general we have been somewhat careful to try not to have skills unlock recipes or moves that you couldn't otherwise do or craft yourself. But you bring up a good point. "Weaponforging" sounds like a nice high-level skill that if obtainable well beyond the ability to simply use these weapons would certainly stimulate more trade.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby RonPaulFTW » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Potjeh wrote:I dig the direction of making distinct professions that depend on each other, but I think that having to know how to forge halberds to be able to use them goes against that. Same goes for swords. IMO you should make a separate mid-to-high tier skill for forging weapons, and lower the requirements for Polearms skill.

I agree. I also wonder if professions are going to get harder to the point few people can master multiple.

I know some people with an alt specializing in each profession
RonPaulFTW

Postby Potjeh » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Tool forging (metal axes, saws etc) would be a logical skill too, just don't make it too high level.
Potjeh

Postby ImpalerWrG » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Generally forging tools like horseshoes and plows are simplest, followed by blunt and chopping weapons like an ax, and the hardest to forge are blade weapons like swords, folks who could make these were often called blade-smiths. A halberd is basically a fancy ax with spikes and hooks which aren't really any harder to forge then the plain ax, so I'd say it would be intermediate in crafting skill required.
ImpalerWrG

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:21 am

ImpalerWrG wrote: A halberd is basically a fancy ax with spikes and hooks which aren't really any harder to forge then the plain ax, so I'd say it would be intermediate in crafting skill required.

Don't be so sure of this. A simple sword blade isn't too hard to forge and most anyone with a bit more than basic training and practice can make one. A well-balanced and effective sword... well, that's where the masters came in.

"Simple" tools such as you mention were journeyman tasks. It doesn't take much to make an axe blade, no. (It's basicly a metal wedge with a hole for a stick and a sharpened edge.0 An halberd isn't simply an axe blade, though. A lot of thought went into designs of them for various purposes, and nearly all required those same 'mastery" level skills you attribute to sword making.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby nonsonogiucas » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:30 am

RonPaulFTW wrote:I agree. I also wonder if professions are going to get harder to the point few people can master multiple.
I know some people with an alt specializing in each profession

If the objective is to create more interdependence between characters/players you don't have to rely on extreme difficulties (be it by long grinding processes or bad rngs).
The skill tree could simply have branches that are more independent from one another based on professions (this is already happening and I like it).
And then you apply some kind of soft cap on the number of branches you can specialize in.

Maybe it could be made so that if you only have skill in one branch (or profession) those skills have a said base cost X, but if you invest in more branches of the skill tree the cost for every new skill starts to grow, maybe like 1.2X (2 professions), 1.4 (3 professions), 1.6 (4 professions)...
Personally I would go even higher, or even hard cap... because of UO nostalgia mainly...

Also consider that, when trade becomes a little less fiddly (with stalls I mean), even a hard cap won't be that much trouble. You will still be able to be a hermit by selling your products and buying what you can't make.
I was lucky...
nonsonogiucas

Postby Kandarim » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:46 pm

NO
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby jesi » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:15 pm

Gun smiths, gun smiths, gun smiths. Since the last world, I have always wanted to put a sign in front of my plot that says "Gun Smith".
aptson wrote:
when i make posts on the forums i expect people to spell it out for me because i am new . .
jesi

Postby Nektaris » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:51 pm

@JohnCarver Next patch ETA? 20th Sept.? Or do we have to wait more?
oleanna wrote:It's a part of the game. Stealing stuff with larceny or with brain is a way like an other !
Nektaris

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements