Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!

Postby DarkNacht » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:30 pm

JohnCarver wrote:Entirely inaccurate from my perspective. First, I don't think its reasonable to assume that anybody is going have enough rares to socket each piece with it. But even if they were, it would give them a total of +5 in that slot extra dmg on average. Multiplied by 8 slots thats a total difference of +40.

+40 in gear difference is pretty insignificant. Certainly the guy with all extreme rares has an edge, but as I stated before, this is nothing a player 'needs' to be competitive as I can guarantee a skilled fighter who spent his time learning the system and perfecting his technique will overcome a +40 stat difference over the guy who spent the same time spamming/farming rares.

People would not be using it instead of the second best thing but the worse thing that they would otherwise slot, so its a lot bigger difference, also remember that most of the top clothing items require rare drops too. Look at Piercing Power the top 2 are rare drops(because Bears are so rare their paws/claws may as well be considered rare) and the 3rd is still fairly uncommon and the difference between the rare drops and everything else is substantial, 25 PP on a needle and 13 on a fang, and of course WSS are very rare and still easily the best combat artifact.

The problem I see with all the rare drops is that while grinding them you do not feel like you are making any progress, you are just spamming **** and praying to the RNG god that you get lucky. I think it would be much better if the top **** instead required more items, but items that dropped more often. So that even if it took the same amount of work to get them you could be making progress over time, this would also help prevent RNG from screwing people and encourage trade to get all the parts of the items.
DarkNacht

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:40 pm

DarkNacht wrote: while grinding them you do not feel like you are making any progress

This is the intended effect.

You do not grind the rare drops. You simply thank the RNG lords when you get them, and buy/trade/acquire them through trading and from other players who may not need said rare item for the thing they enjoy doing and/or their build.

If you don't enjoy 'grinding' rare drops, then I once again simply say, don't. Grind or do what you enjoy, work an industry and sell things of value and trade for them or just do what you enjoy doing in this sandbox long enough and you'll eventualy find them when you are not looking for them.

DarkNacht wrote: So that even if it took the same amount of work to get them you could be making progress over time, this would also help prevent RNG from screwing people and encourage trade to get all the parts of the items.

This is worth considering. The problem being that we already have a system we are working on where the rare drops are needed in "quantities" to make certain things, so that you must collect them. The very reason why its a "Runestone shard" and not just a "Runestone".
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby ImpalerWrG » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:05 am

Combining a lot of little semi-rare bits to create one item is certainly a better way to go, like Pearls and Pearl necklace in H&H. It was cool to have a rare 1:100 drop on the river mussel because the mussels were everywhere, if you were out grinding for them you consistently found pearls each trip because you had lots of chances from lots of mussles. What I think people don't like is having to get a 'double drop', like finding a rare animal like a bear and then having to pray they get another rare drop off of that. Every Bear that didn't drop the rare was a big disappointment cause you knew the next Bear was not going to be for a long time.
ImpalerWrG

Postby troubleis » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:19 am

I haven't started butchering my bears because I'm waiting on Viscera & Bits, but since the patch I have had a bear in my yard or just outside my yard every day since the patch, sometimes 2. They don't seem that rare to me, I mean sure they aren't like turkeys, but turkeys are a bit like rats with wings at this point lol. I think if anyone is having trouble finding bears they may be in the wrong biomes, and also I'm assuming JC doesn't want everyone to have max gear 2 weeks after the patch was released, so why would he flood the map with bears.
JohnCarver wrote:
as captain of this ship, I plan on riding it to our destination as a submarine if I have to.
troubleis

Postby KruskDaMangled » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:21 am

troubleis wrote:I haven't started butchering my bears because I'm waiting on Viscera & Bits, but since the patch I have had a bear in my yard or just outside my yard every day since the patch, sometimes 2. They don't seem that rare to me, I mean sure they aren't like turkeys, but turkeys are a bit like rats with wings at this point lol. I think if anyone is having trouble finding bears they may be in the wrong biomes, and also I'm assuming JC doesn't want everyone to have max gear 2 weeks after the patch was released, so why would he flood the map with bears.

That would also be kind of mean because Bears pwn noobs pretty hard. you need to put some weight on your toon' before you think about messing with them.
KruskDaMangled

Postby Procne » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 am

troubleis wrote:I haven't started butchering my bears because I'm waiting on Viscera & Bits, but since the patch I have had a bear in my yard or just outside my yard every day since the patch, sometimes 2. They don't seem that rare to me, I mean sure they aren't like turkeys, but turkeys are a bit like rats with wings at this point lol. I think if anyone is having trouble finding bears they may be in the wrong biomes, and also I'm assuming JC doesn't want everyone to have max gear 2 weeks after the patch was released, so why would he flood the map with bears.

What biome do you live in? Bears are quite rare for me in autumnal forest
Procne

Postby Bearcub » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:29 am

Procne wrote:

+1
And I like that bears now are really needed not only for 60s (as well as indian feathers). So I keep those 2 skins that I've found after the patch (only 2 I met- nothing changed for them)
Trade is the first step to the diplomacy.
Diplomacy is a tool for unification.
Then be honest with your customers to make new bonds!
Bearcub

Postby troubleis » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:35 pm

Procne wrote:

I live in a Coniferous forest. I also have a theory that animals seem to spawn in nodes. Almost all of my bears seem to spawn on the west side of my base. It is noticeable enough that I learned very early on when I wasn't strong enough to kill bears that I definitely wanted to log out on the east side of my base or take the serious risk of logging in on top of a bear. The amount of spawns doesn't seem to have changed, but now everyone is dying to find as many bears as they can since they are practically furry gold mines, versus when they saw one before they just saw the bear as just 60s.
JohnCarver wrote:
as captain of this ship, I plan on riding it to our destination as a submarine if I have to.
troubleis

Postby alloin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:23 pm

I got a shirt with 6 pockets in it, did I win something ? ¦]
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Kandarim » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:46 pm

oh great now I want one too
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements