Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!

Postby Procne » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Feone wrote:
Procne wrote:I wouldn't expect any wipe just because we "leave beta". There would be one only if some new mechanics required it and there was no other way around it. You could, however, expect a new server if population increases.

True, a wipe upon release wouldn't surprise me though. The beta is expected to have lots of tweaks and changes while it's active which might just mean a fresh start is needed to get rid of problematic legacy issues etc. In any case, afaik the new devs have not announced any wipe specifically and I'm definitely not expecting one any time soon.

They objected strongly when jorb announced previous wipe. So you can expect them to do everything they can to avoid wipes.
Procne

Postby Trenial » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:25 pm

Procne wrote:
Feone wrote:
Procne wrote:I wouldn't expect any wipe just because we "leave beta". There would be one only if some new mechanics required it and there was no other way around it. You could, however, expect a new server if population increases.

True, a wipe upon release wouldn't surprise me though. The beta is expected to have lots of tweaks and changes while it's active which might just mean a fresh start is needed to get rid of problematic legacy issues etc. In any case, afaik the new devs have not announced any wipe specifically and I'm definitely not expecting one any time soon.

They objected strongly when jorb announced previous wipe. So you can expect them to do everything they can to avoid wipes.

inb4 Darwoth tears
jwhitehorn wrote:It's too bad you're so politically connected
you would have made a great brave

TENT WIDTH

This area, is my area. No squatting allowed.
Trenial

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Procne wrote:
Feone wrote:

I thought the game was going to launch with an "expedition" to a new temporary server that will allow people to play on the same bile level for a few months.
Michael

Postby DarkNacht » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Michael wrote:I thought the game was going to launch with an "expedition" to a new temporary server that will allow people to play on the same bile level for a few months.

That is the stated plan.
DarkNacht

Postby Trenial » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:10 pm

DarkNacht wrote:
Michael wrote:I thought the game was going to launch with an "expedition" to a new temporary server that will allow people to play on the same bile level for a few months.

That is the stated plan.

If its anything of the sort like Expeditions: Conquistadores, then it will be by no means easy. As any true expedition never was.
jwhitehorn wrote:It's too bad you're so politically connected
you would have made a great brave

TENT WIDTH

This area, is my area. No squatting allowed.
Trenial

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:16 pm

RonPaulFTW wrote:In every aspect of the game we are spamming to look for needles in a haystack bc all we need now are the rare drops.

But nobody 'needs' these rare drops as you are describing. They are certainly nice things, but the rarity of the items was proportional to the demand in our minds. If you want to spam stuff to get the rarest of the rare things there is nothing we can do to stop you, however, I would simply argue if you don't enjoy it, then stop doing it.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Feone » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:59 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
RonPaulFTW wrote:In every aspect of the game we are spamming to look for needles in a haystack bc all we need now are the rare drops.

But nobody 'needs' these rare drops as you are describing. They are certainly nice things, but the rarity of the items was proportional to the demand in our minds. If you want to spam stuff to get the rarest of the rare things there is nothing we can do to stop you, however, I would simply argue if you don't enjoy it, then stop doing it.

I don't think that's entirely fair.

Our characters are strongly augmented by their artifices. Especially attack artifacts are important, all the top attack artifacts are rares. If not the top 2, or top 3.
Someone slotted with craftable versions will be vastly outgeared in offense when fighting someone with rares. If there wasn't such a big gap between craftable and rare it wouldn't be so needed, but as is anyone who wishes to compete in pvp needs these artifices.
Feone

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Feone wrote:Someone slotted with craftable versions will be vastly outgeared in offense when fighting someone with rares.

Entirely inaccurate from my perspective. First, I don't think its reasonable to assume that anybody is going have enough rares to socket each piece with it. But even if they were, it would give them a total of +5 in that slot extra dmg on average. Multiplied by 8 slots thats a total difference of +40.

+40 in gear difference is pretty insignificant. Certainly the guy with all extreme rares has an edge, but as I stated before, this is nothing a player 'needs' to be competitive as I can guarantee a skilled fighter who spent his time learning the system and perfecting his technique will overcome a +40 stat difference over the guy who spent the same time spamming/farming rares.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Feone » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
Feone wrote:Someone slotted with craftable versions will be vastly outgeared in offense when fighting someone with rares.

Entirely inaccurate from my perspective. First, I don't think its reasonable to assume that anybody is going have enough rares to socket each piece with it. But even if they were, it would give them a total of +5 in that slot extra dmg on average. Multiplied by 8 slots thats a total difference of +40.

+40 in gear difference is pretty insignificant. Certainly the guy with all extreme rares has an edge, but as I stated before, this is nothing a player 'needs' to be competitive as I can guarantee a skilled fighter who spent his time learning the system and perfecting his technique will overcome a +40 stat difference over the guy who spent the same time spamming/farming rares.

Thrust still deals the most damage, in that one the top 3 artifacts are rare.

On top of that Salem PVP is twitch based, a skilled fighter benefits most from offense and little from defense. Having the rare artifact slotted for your damage category lets you stack more damage onto that too. Since only 1 artifact can be put of each kind and 3-4 sockets is not that rare the final difference (assuming only the top one is rare) is much closer to 20 points per piece. Far more for piercing.
Feone

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:24 pm

Theorycrafting is entirely different from reality. When you can screenshot a piece of gear that has 20 points more than same piece of gear I can produce (using pieces that are more rare than 1:100) then I would concede. Bear claws and Etterfangs are not on average more rare than 1:100. This leaves you needles which I agree have a difference but far from anything that requires attention.

Anybody who wishes to seriously try to back this up may fight my character to the death with their supposed "rare item" advantage where I will use only items that are less than 1:100 and craftables and they may use whatever 'overpowered' gear they think they can craft with rares. I will of course set myself to equal biles.

I anticipate no challengers because again, this entire argument is tears for the sake of tears and entirely unfounded. Nevertheless, I'll consider the wild claims seriously should somebody take me up, and win, said challenge.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements