The Cart Before the Horse

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: The Cart Before the Horse

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:18 pm

Michael wrote:When you wrote "in-game items" did you mean that we can craft them in-game now? The wording you chose on this confuses me a little. Clarification would be much appreciated. :P

Yes,
The majority of previously store-bought clothing will be craftable in-game. The remaining pack items will be legacy.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:33 am

We have made quite a dramatic adjustment to store silver. Server statistics shows that the average player is selling a pretty extreme amount of savage charms. Given that bottles have become a way of life and that we will be adding a few more things to the vendor stalls we hope the influx of silver is a welcome thing to the merchant economy. We always thought that silver was far too scarce and that trading was difficult as a result. Also we would prefer the market is flush with silver for when the stalls drop than a situation where nobody has any.

We couldn't help but feel that silver felt a bit of a rip-off under the new system as the amount you got for the amount you paid did not appear to justify itself given the new economy and where we expect it to trend. We will keep our eye on silver, the speed at which players generate it, and the price in which we sell it to make sure that it remains something that players can feel good about purchasing without completely unbalancing the economy as a whole.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Tamasin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:01 am

Thats a big improvement :)

The gap between 2ks and 10ks is quite large though, i suggest having an option somewhere between those two.
Tamasin
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:12 am

Tamasin wrote:Thats a big improvement :)

The gap between 2ks and 10ks is quite large though, i suggest having an option somewhere between those two.

Yes we plan on putting in a $50.00 silver option soon.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby jesi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:24 am

JohnCarver wrote:Yes we plan on putting in a $50.00 silver option soon.

Took a look at the shop. It would be interesting to know what your marketing plan assumes is the percentage of players willing to spend more than $25 per week on the game.
aptson wrote:
when i make posts on the forums i expect people to spell it out for me because i am new . .
jesi

Postby Potjeh » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:31 pm

When you say you'll be making store-bought clothing craftable, does that include hats as well? While I'd love to be able to craft a wide variety of headgear, I'm afraid it'd make the Mystery Box a pointless purchase.
Potjeh

Postby ezgoezit » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Thanks for the adjustment. I don't mind dropping some cash now and then to support the game, but right now, there isn't anything there I don't already have. The price adjustment to silver is nice so maybe I can just be more free with my spending there. I know MM is just getting started and has a lot going on, but I look forward to more things to buy in the store.
Sic Erat Scriptum (Thus was it written)
ezgoezit

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:40 pm

jesi wrote: It would be interesting to know what your marketing plan assumes is the percentage of players willing to spend more than $25 per week on the game.

$25.00/week?! No. Our marketing plan assumes averages below $5.00/mo.

Potjeh wrote:When you say you'll be making store-bought clothing craftable, does that include hats as well? While I'd love to be able to craft a wide variety of headgear, I'm afraid it'd make the Mystery Box a pointless purchase.

We plan on trying to add new hats to the mysterybox each month. I believe two hats you could get in there are now going to be craftable, however, I can assure you that if you got one out of the box you would feel very good about it as the crafting mats are a bit intense.

ezgoezit wrote:Thanks for the adjustment. I don't mind dropping some cash now and then to support the game, but right now, there isn't anything there I don't already have. The price adjustment to silver is nice so maybe I can just be more free with my spending there. I know MM is just getting started and has a lot going on, but I look forward to more things to buy in the store.

Yes we agree, and don't want it to boil down to something where players feel they need to spend money on silver, yet silver is the only thing valuable to them. We are hoping to get a "Mystery Toolbox" on there soon with most tools being a very nice thing as well.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby alloin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:53 pm

JohnCarver wrote:$25.00/week?! No. Our marketing plan assumes averages below $5.00/mo.

15-20$ / month sounds very reasonable, i see it as a subscription like many other games ask
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:58 pm

alloin wrote:15-20$ / month sounds very reasonable, i see it as a subscription like many other games ask

I believe she mentioned average though. We hope to keep a large crowd of players who have no intention of ever paying anything. However, in a perfect world there would be approx $15.00-$20.00/mo in new stuff that a player spending most of their gaming time on Salem would say "yeah that looks like a nice thing I'll support that with a payment = to a normal subscription".

JohnCarver
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements