Free-Ish Speech

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Free-Ish Speech

Postby Orcling » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:45 pm

Dallane wrote:
Inotdead wrote:
JohnCarver wrote: We have already implemented several instances of in-game punishment and felt it was unfair to not at least make you aware of it.

Orcling
Claeyt
Brego

What exactly did they do in-game and what was the punishment?

Spamming racist **** and general harassment.

It was only not-okay because I was spamming it right next to carver. Then he punched me. And then he changed the rules to justify him punching me.
Orcling

Postby palamnaeuss » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:20 pm

it's sad that developer must name people for any reason...
as a developer you must be objective for all the members of the game. if you have something against someone, global forum is not the place to argue about it. if someone has done something that is against the rules, there should be proper solution (ban/kick/whatever), and there is no need to write on forum who did it and why.
and I will say it once again, you are the developer, you can do whatever you want. there is no need to explain to players every single issue you encounter, and there is certainly no need to solve every single argue that two or more players start. as a developer make overall rules, and everyone must be included in it. if you as a developer make favorites or enemies among players, that game is going to fail...
palamnaeuss

Postby Cheena » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:10 pm

A developper is just a man, dude. Don't expect him to be more than that.
Trust your enemies more than your friends. Your enemies will never betray you.
loftar wrote:***** the treaty.

(Note: Citation is severely out of context.)
Cheena

Postby martinuzz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:28 pm

While I would usually object censorship with a Chomsky quote, like

"Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech."

I do distinguish between right to free opinion, versus blatantly, and continuously spamming words and syllables that are generally viewed as obscene or profane, with the sole purpose to insult, or disrespect.

Oh, and for whomever seems to think that Claeyt is being targeted by some for his political views, it seems the Claeygue has really affected your perception badly.
Did Claeyt shut up yet?
WARNING: berrymash laxatives can cause your character to explode violently, after eating chymically unstable foods.
martinuzz

Postby Frakked » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Define

Town Spamming

DDOS attacks

bit behind on the game's slang..
Frakked

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:20 pm

palamnaeuss wrote:it's sad that developer must name people for any reason...
as a developer you must be objective for all the members of the game. if you have something against someone, global forum is not the place to argue about it. if someone has done something that is against the rules, there should be proper solution (ban/kick/whatever), and there is no need to write on forum who did it and why.
and I will say it once again, you are the developer, you can do whatever you want. there is no need to explain to players every single issue you encounter, and there is certainly no need to solve every single argue that two or more players start. as a developer make overall rules, and everyone must be included in it. if you as a developer make favorites or enemies among players, that game is going to fail...

Details of individual bans have not and are not being discussed. Some notable members of the community were affected, and we felt the community was still small enough that it warranted acknowledgement. Further bans will only be discussed here if it is as a result of an infraction that may not be clear to some people, and thus, warrants the attention to make sure others don't slip up.

Frakked wrote:Define

Town Spamming

DDOS attacks

bit behind on the game's slang..

Town Spamming:
Filling up the Area Chat with the same or similar message in any accelerated fashion that makes general use of the chat window difficult or impossible for other members of town.

DDOS attacks:
Sending an abnormal volume of packets to the server. Or any other general nonsense related to slowling down the performance of the server for others.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Murphy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:17 pm

martinuzz wrote:

Oh, and for whomever seems to think that Claeyt is being targeted by some for his political views, it seems the Claeygue has really affected your perception badly.

It's pretty obvious that he is being targeted, though, the reasons might very well vary.

I can't really see the necessity of having word filters all over the place, the ignore function on the forum works pretty good for me and while I understand that botting, spamming and all the malicious things can't be tolerated, I disagree with the punishments handed out and with having their names being called out publicly. I just can't see how drawing even more attention to the ones breaking the rules is going to solve anything or why exactly it would be

JohnCarver wrote: unfair to not at least make you aware of it

I know this is not the place to discuss this and I know I've agreed to it by accepting the EULA, but I feel that the rule stating we're not allowed to post images with profane language in them is utter ***** and I felt it was unfair to not at least make you aware of it.
Murphy

Postby Yasso » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:28 pm

Welcome to the Kindergarten.
Yasso

Postby TruthTeller » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:55 pm

martinuzz wrote: generally viewed as obscene or profane.

Just imagine what we could justify throughout history by like you stating that it is ok to censor what is "generally" viewed as obscene or profane.

It is dangerous path to go when you let censorship be based on what the majority thinks or doesn't think.
TruthTeller

Postby ezgoezit » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:34 pm

I remember getting sent to the principal's office in fourth grade for some choice statements I made to a substitute teacher. I tried to use the "free speech" claim and didn't get to far with it (resulting in another suspension). I didn't get it at the time, though it seems pretty obvious now.

The Salem game and forum is not some democracy where you "deserve" certain inalienable rights. It is a game, which is owned by a business. They do have certain rights because essentially, we are in their house. Inside their house, they have the ability to make rules and if the guests in their house do not wish to abide by those rules, they have the right to revoke our invitation to be in their house. If you think the fact that you paid rl money for in game items changes this at all, I dare you to take them to court and try your luck.

If you want to have your freedom of speech, start your own forum and say whatever you want there. Going into someone else's house and taking a dump on their dinning room table might be your idea of a good time, but it is something the majority of us are probably not interested in being party to.
Sic Erat Scriptum (Thus was it written)
ezgoezit

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements