A Brave New Salem

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: A Brave New Salem

Postby cannibalkirby » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:44 am

well I"M looking forward to this, btw I know it's a small issue but if character design can somehow be reworked I know it would help more people enjoy the start of the game. I already had 3 friends give up right at the start in character creation >_< just a small suggestion, not important
Ikpeip wrote:How can I be derailing my own thread?
cannibalkirby

Postby darnokpl » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:50 am

My suggestions
- add content first, forget about balance, pvp, raids, character development,
- when you will have enough content start to worry about balance, before balance patch wipe game and forums including accounts, so we would have to register again,
darnokpl

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:53 am

cannibalkirby wrote:well I"M looking forward to this, btw I know it's a small issue but if character design can somehow be reworked I know it would help more people enjoy the start of the game. I already had 3 friends give up right at the start in character creation >_< just a small suggestion, not important

This is an excellent statement I would like to address. I would like to point out that we have identified the barrier of entry to this game as being far too high. We would like to do something about it, however, at this moment we valuate the community as mostly veterans who have extended beyond the growing pains that were the early game. We made a choice to reward the veterans, and more importantly, give them something to do before focusing on the early game. Once we are confident that those who do learn the ropes have a few months of content via either more rare items (think snake skulls) purity, and advanced skills, then you will see us shift our focus to the early game and our marketing efforts to attracting new players.

That being said, it is never too early for a good idea. Are you thinking investing more of our modelers time in things such as hair styles? Or are you thinking of a system revamp featuring character creation like you would see in big-budget project?

We are open to suggestions of improving the creation process with the understanding that Salem will most likely never achieve the nose,eye,lip,cheek,chin sliders present in high-resolution titles.

darnokpl wrote:My suggestions
- add content first, forget about balance, pvp, raids, character development,
- when you will have enough content start to worry about balance, before balance patch wipe game and forums including accounts, so we would have to register again,

I think we may have a disconnect on how you are using the term balance here. What makes you so sure that the game will be in need of a wipe before balance changes? Why would we wipe accounts? We are not 100% satisfied with the balance that currently exists in the combat system, and definitely do not like the balance that currently exists between somebody who leaves a scent and the efforts that would be required to break into said persons base and do something about it. But we have no intentions of balancing these things in ways that would require wipes.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Judaism » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:00 am

Champie wrote:Indeed, easy to read my posts and recognize the sarcasm about jorbtar's abilities.

We all do but why would he troll people who quited ages ago ?

Its not funny that way, therefore people are ignoring you.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Vigilance » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:01 am

I'd say to place vanity after content, in the game's current state. Work on giving new players more content to fiddle with, then start fleshing in new vanity like more hair styles, different character models/facial features etc.

I'm a bit biased towards not caring about character models, though. Back in Alpha there was one hairstyle, and one facial hair. Man, oh man, was it ugly. ;)

ninjaedit: See my mask liek mushibag picture in my signature, actually. That's the same look.
Last edited by Vigilance on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suffragium wrote:I love sausages.
Vigilance

Postby cannibalkirby » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:01 am

excellent response, very fast as well I think I like you guys xD personally I would love to see a complete revamp of how to create our characters. I will say more hairstyles/faces/body types/ etc would be great as well. when people come into a new game the one thing you can call your own right from the start is the uniqueness of your personal character. Not saying make it overly detailed but the ability to model your character is a very desirable trait in any game. I will speak with my friend who does modeling design about his ideas on the subject as that was one of his complaints about the game when he started playing, I figure I'll just shoot you guys a PM about it later so I don't crowd up the forums :D
Ikpeip wrote:How can I be derailing my own thread?
cannibalkirby

Postby Ukhata » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:03 am

not only the creating of a character. also the first few hours of gameplay should be thoroughly explained or protected.
people need to learn the absolute basics of the game before they run into a 200 bile ogre of a character who one shots them :)

but the char creation process needs to be done properly as well yes, just add decent and clear buttons instead of having to find out you need to press the enter key would help when choosing a name.
different faces is nice as well.
Ukhata

Postby Vigilance » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:06 am

Ukhata wrote:not only the creating of a character. also the first few hours of gameplay should be thoroughly explained or protected.
people need to learn the absolute basics of the game before they run into a 200 bile ogre of a character who one shots them :)

but the char creation process needs to be done properly as well yes, just add decent and clear buttons instead of having to find out you need to press the enter key would help when choosing a name.
different faces is nice as well.

An ACTUAL tutorial would be great. Could be toggled on or off, would guide you through the basics of getting started.
Suffragium wrote:I love sausages.
Vigilance

Postby Champie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:06 am

JohnCarver wrote:This is an excellent statement I would like to address. I would like to point out that we have identified the barrier of entry to this game as being far too high. We would like to do something about it, however, at this moment we valuate the community as mostly veterans who have extended beyond the growing pains that were the early game. We made a choice to reward the veterans, and more importantly, give them something to do before focusing on the early game. Once we are confident that those who do learn the ropes have a few months of content via either more rare items (think snake skulls) purity, and advanced skills, then you will see us shift our focus to the early game and our marketing efforts to attracting new players.

That being said, it is never too early for a good idea. Are you thinking investing more of our modelers time in things such as hair styles? Or are you thinking of a system revamp featuring character creation like you would see in big-budget project?

We are open to suggestions of improving the creation process with the understanding that Salem will most likely never achieve the nose,eye,lip,cheek,chin sliders present in high-resolution titles.

jorb, please stop. this "JohnCarver" is becoming a ridiculous caricature. It was funny for a while, but now you are just being sadistic toward your audience.

let me clarify - it doesn't matter who JohnCarver is, or if this "takeover" is true. The whole thing is a joke.
Champie

Postby Champie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:13 am

Judaism wrote:
Champie wrote:Indeed, easy to read my posts and recognize the sarcasm about jorbtar's abilities.

We all do but why would he troll people who quited ages ago ?

Its not funny that way, therefore people are ignoring you.

You think I was trying to be funny? That's why you don't think it's funny.
Champie

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements