Game Development: Love Redux

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Love Redux

Postby robert » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:43 am

alt vaulting is fine. honestly i dont see why everyone is so anti-vaulting. least salem doesnt suffer (yet) from the old hearth vaults of haven. where you almost have to rely on the devs to nuke the place..

as well the only thing of value i have ever deemed worthy of raiding is higher purity seeds i dont have. iron is hardly a hard item to aquire. given the fact iv walked by about 7 unclaimed unwalled mines in my travels around darkness zoned areas. so the only hard thing to actually get are purity items. like dowsing rods and seeds, town raiding to me on paper has nothing to do with looting the place. its all about crippling your enemies to the point they either give up and relocate/quit or submit to whatever demands you had which started the fighting to start with.

simply because to be frank. the majority of the raiders in salem already have a town setup to providing X raider alts every X hr/days so they typically have no reason to raid a town for 0% iron ore or bars. when back home they have a house built out of ironbars (minecraft style)..

raiding a hermit by a hermit i can see value in 0% iron if you lack iron your self. but raiding a town meh the only reason to do so is to cripple them or impose your will upon them.

plus demanding an end of alt vaulting would actually be a game rule which to be frank would go against the sandbox system sea tribe typical runs with.
robert

Postby colesie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:49 am

This indestructible timer is still leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Rams in haven were destructible from the time you place them until the time you used them and yet people were still able to raid. People are being forced into combat because of this 4 hour window when that's simply not an option for some people/hermits. Again, rams/cannons with a 30 tiles roll/shot range and new wall types that only they can break, thank you.
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby Ass_Kraken » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:55 am

colesie wrote:People are being forced into combat because of this 4 hour window when that's simply not an option for some people/hermits.

That is obviously the point of the system. Hence why only villages have it.

colesie wrote:Again, rams/cannons with a 30 tiles roll/shot range and new wall types that only they can break, thank you.

Checking for rams was gay as ***** and a major pain in the ass. This system lets you see an inpending raid attack without patrolling and ::maybe:: fight it off.
Ass_Kraken

Postby colesie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:57 am

Ass_Kraken wrote:
colesie wrote:People are being forced into combat because of this 4 hour window when that's simply not an option for some people/hermits.

That is obviously the point of the system. Hence why only villages have it.

colesie wrote:Again, rams/cannons with a 30 tiles roll/shot range and new wall types that only they can break, thank you.

Checking for rams was gay as ***** and a major pain in the ass. This system lets you see an inpending raid attack without patrolling and ::maybe:: fight it off.

I didn't have a problem with patrolling, I'd mostly just like to see hermitting be a nice possibility.
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby Potjeh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:55 am

Bigger groups must be able to break into and destroy smaller compounds, and summon any criminals there. Otherwise griefers can cause damage disproportionaly high to their investment.
Potjeh

Postby dageir » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:26 am

All this can be solved by removing the possibiity to "log out". The character should stay in game after log out. This will remove the need for summon killings. Maybe remove scents alltogether. If the charater or his claim is attacked the character will go under AI control with sweet, sweet combat moves. If the AI controlled character wins the corpse of the perp will stay in game until the defender can loot him. Also the requirements for murder should be lowered or be made "free". I can murder someone without a course in murdering, but I wouldnt be able to make a coherent wall without some kind of course. This way everyone can murder everyone and the early game made more exciting.
Somebody once wrote, "Hell is the impossibility of reason." That's what this place feels like. Hell
dageir

Postby oldgrampak » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:16 pm

dageir wrote:All this can be solved by removing the possibiity to "log out". The character should stay in game after log out. This will remove the need for summon killings. Maybe remove scents alltogether. If the charater or his claim is attacked the character will go under AI control with sweet, sweet combat moves. If the AI controlled character wins the corpse of the perp will stay in game until the defender can loot him. Also the requirements for murder should be lowered or be made "free". I can murder someone without a course in murdering, but I wouldnt be able to make a coherent wall without some kind of course. This way everyone can murder everyone and the early game made more exciting.

Sounds funny and wierd
Why not just take away summoning all togheter and just have tracking since from my point of view you destroy villages to cripple and make other faction loose some advantage and also ground control so you control the part of the map and taking away summoning alltogheter will open up for more advanced tactics if you want to kill the chars.

As a complement along with the destroying object claim you could even add a feature where you can go in and drain the townbell in some way and take over the town also.
In that way you wont only be able to logout and stay logged out untill attackers have walked away since if you log in to youre town that now belong to someone else you should be ported outside the town claim.
Taking over and draining some once town bell can be made in a similar way like destroying town you need to actevliy hit the townbell when it reaches 50%townbell goes down into lockdown you have to wait 12 14 24 h to hit down the rest when bell goes active defenders can repair it over 50% and you are down on the wait time once again when bell reaches 0 you take over the town and the bell is yours do to whatever you want with it.
Could be simmilar with personal claims and stones to prevent people from just logging out to not take part of the fight or walk and hide in personal claims.
Could also work with only having to have a waste claim and when you finnally comes inside to the town bell you can start destroying it untill you can take over the town.
/Dawgs [DOG]
oldgrampak

Postby clouddog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:42 pm

2 things i don't like in this game,one more then the other.
Number one, defending and killing players on your OWN claim should not leave scents at all.

Number two:Summoning,by removing the summoning and making Scents last forever (on murder,stealing perhaps?) not tresspassing(add kin/target list whatever on scents is crucial in this change), you can hunt ur target forever untill hes dead, tracking should be avalible even if hes logged out so you can "camp" his location untill he loggs in and fight him or track him and burn his town for example.
this changes the gameplay alot and some may say he will only logg out when he notice u on the minimap.
This may happen sometimes but i don't think it would be a big problem as if u hunt someone and you have him on a kin/target list so u see when he loggs in he can "never" really play the game anyway so why kill someone and then logg the char out forever.
This forces players to be active when fighting others.
We never left, We just lay low and the lower we lay we stay connected and make dough.
clouddog

Postby darnokpl » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:22 pm

clouddog wrote:2 things i don't like in this game,one more then the other.
Number one, defending and killing players on your OWN claim should not leave scents at all.

Yes please

clouddog wrote:Number two:Summoning,by removing the summoning and making Scents last forever (on murder,stealing perhaps?) not tresspassing(add kin/target list whatever on scents is crucial in this change), you can hunt ur target forever untill hes dead, tracking should be avalible even if hes logged out so you can "camp" his location untill he loggs in and fight him or track him and burn his town for example.
this changes the gameplay alot and some may say he will only logg out when he notice u on the minimap.
This may happen sometimes but i don't think it would be a big problem as if u hunt someone and you have him on a kin/target list so u see when he loggs in he can "never" really play the game anyway so why kill someone and then logg the char out forever.
This forces players to be active when fighting others.

Good luck with 100000000 scents on map after 1 month.
When I am tracking someone the last thing I want is to let him know about that, so "add kin" would be stupid from my point of view.
Why do you want to camp at his location? Just drop waste-claim under his town and camp there.
So you say if my ISP will disconnect me for 30 minutes you can gather friends and camp in place I left game and then just kill me?
Who would ever need HV, walls or towns if you want to remove summoning?
Your idea imho is to change summonfest into camp-gangfest, nothing more :|
darnokpl

Postby Ass_Kraken » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:31 pm

You need summoning in the tracking system because then people can just toss their homestead away from their own home and you have no clue where they are.
Ass_Kraken

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements