Don't be a fool - Wrap your Authority Object

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Don't be a fool - Wrap your Authority Object

Postby HolyLight » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Salem, The wall building simulator.
Salem, The Defense building simulator.
HolyLight

Postby Forungi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:51 pm

HolyLight wrote:Salem, The wall building simulator.

Yes, what's the problem with that?

If you don't like it, you're free to leave. I don't see any new players whining about having to actually DEFEND your things in a PERMADEATH HARDCORE MMO.

Please.
Forungi

Postby Taipion » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:51 pm

HolyLight wrote:Salem, The wall building simulator.

With stealthy ninja patches, to keep it interesting!

Next patch: Godzilla may appear randomly and wipe your town or parts of it.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby ToorimaKun » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:19 pm

Forungi wrote:I just don't see what's bad about this. Maybe it's because i'm new here, but really, it is very unreasonable that a small stone object such as the boundary stone would not be breakable.

these "small stone objects" are a VERY important part of base defense....
if this stone is gone:
your brazers wont fire on some one breaking/stealing your ****.
the raider(s) do not receive bile punishment for committing crimes.
the raider(s) can now claim over objects like walls and buildings to bash them down quicker... a building would normally have to burn for i think 7 days before it is destroyed.

also these "small stone objects" cost you silver every week or so... so people USUALLY try and perfectly spread them out so they are not paying for the same land tiles more then once.
unlike claim stones you can't control the area it claims... it just claims 25 tiles in all directions... meaning you can't always place them in a good spot.

and on an other note... this change would mean completely redesigning a village.... bashing down an entire wall is a MAJOR pain in the ass..... and building plank walls is very time consuming since you have to wait 5 days for a board pile to dry.

there are more reasons still..... pretty much this small little change completely changes the entire layout of a defendable village.

Forungi wrote:Just more reason for people to actively protect their **** instead of just logging in once per day to check their crops.

you mean turkeys and cotton fields...
and these people are only logging in to check those two things so that IF salems makes the changes we have been BEGGING for they wont have to start all over.... they really are not interested in playing the current salem.

... trying to tell those people that they will have to ether become active players again or lose their stuff... will result in them losing their stuff and probably never coming back to salem....

Forungi wrote:Yes, what's the problem with that?

If you don't like it, you're free to leave. I don't see any new players whining about having to actually DEFEND your things in a PERMADEATH HARDCORE MMO.

he has no problem with the idea of raiding....
the faction he was in on the old servers did plenty of raiding...

again as a new player you do not fully grasp all the time and effort building a village this small change completely ***** people over.
If you guys have questions about radar find me on steam, KiaKun.
sorry for the very late replies.... everyone i played salem with quit... and all my villages have been raided.
ToorimaKun

Postby Forungi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Well that is their problem isn't it?

I know fully well how auth objects work, I have a town of my own, which is why I don't see what the issue is? Protect every single one and put braziers around them and ****. If you don't want to handle the logistics to protect your "big" town, then you don't deserve one either.

World of Warcraft is just one click away pal, or to whoever has a problem with this.
Forungi

Postby ToorimaKun » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:59 pm

Forungi wrote:Well that is their problem isn't it?

sadly yes..... but not by choice....

Forungi wrote:I know fully well how auth objects work, I have a town of my own, which is why I don't see what the issue is? Protect every single one and put braziers around them and ****. If you don't want to handle the logistics to protect your "big" town, then you don't deserve one either.

I don't think you fully understand....
any well defended village is not going to have room to build a wall around these objects... unless it was placed outside the wall because there was no room for it on the inside.

if you want to have a very well defended village then it takes a lot of planning and careful placement of stuff... defending a boarder stone was not in any ones plans...

and not every one goes for BIG.... it only takes 4 bourderstones to more then double a village area... and some people use border stones to keep people from using their clay pit, lime pit and/or mine entrance.... border stones HAD more use then just simply trying to claim a massive area of tiles....
sorry for the very late replies.... everyone i played salem with quit... and all my villages have been raided.
ToorimaKun

Postby HolyLight » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:02 pm

Didnt JC once say he wanted it so that you could leave the game for months on end and people wouldnt be able to wreck / destroy all your hard work? (Most of all if you are logging in at LEAST once a day to fill the bell + keep player counts up)?

So, allowing the destruction of autho objects in a village that has silver in its bell kinda undermines the whole concept of what he wanted ?

Am i missing something here except for the tears, as i have yet to see JC chime in on this.

Seems like people are being punished for going passive mode and hoping the game gets a breath of fresh air that would bring the same players back.
HolyLight

Postby Forungi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:02 pm

I see your point ToorimaKun, there is no doubt about that, and yes it sucks for them that they did not get any headsup about this.

But now this information is public, and if they want to keep their town safe, they're just gonna have to tear down some walls and rebuild them around their stones to fit their village design. I doubt the devs will reverse this change just because a FEW people is whining about it.
Forungi

Postby ToorimaKun » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:40 pm

Forungi wrote:I see your point ToorimaKun, there is no doubt about that, and yes it sucks for them that they did not get any headsup about this.

But now this information is public, and if they want to keep their town safe, they're just gonna have to tear down some walls and rebuild them around their stones to fit their village design. I doubt the devs will reverse this change just because a FEW people is whining about it.

i am not for sure.. but i have heard that each brick wall segment takes hours to break down.... trying to move a brick wall could take weeks... this isn't minecraft.
ToorimaKun

Postby Taipion » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:08 pm

Btw there is one very simple (and costly) fix for that:

Use a pClaim to cover ALL of your town.
The pClaim even surpasses the protection of a tClaim as it causes BB drain through trespassing and the claimstone is (until JC changes that!) invulnerable as long as it is payed.
So just gather cash in case you get besieged and only then pay your town-claimstone.
Ofc a pClaim alone does not prevent waste, but if someone managed to get through your tClaimed wall, then this is quite irrelevant.
Ofc this prevents any ways of using different pClaims to provide "personal" space for each town member as you need one big pClaim instead, but that approach was not hardcore anyways.

For the basic town claim that is just 10k silver, affordable if you already managed to buy a town charter I'd say.
(Additionally, 2601 silver per boundry stone.)
Well, if you have a town of say 202*202 tiles (base tClaim + once surrounded with boundry stones) that that is 40k... so what? You did not build a town that huge all for yourself, huh? ¦]
A 202*202 claim only costs 140s per day, so you need to have just 8161 silver ready in case you get besieged to enter "reinforced" mode for 2 months, making anyone trying to raid you... cry. (...sounds like EVE, huh?! ^^)
(Except they are willing to spend twice the money the pClaim is worth to unclaim it, which, if they somehow managed to do so, would give you that mony directly to your bank account, not a bad deal I'd say.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements