Game Development: Love Redux

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Love Redux

Postby Potjeh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 pm

As long as you're here, I'd like to repeat that you should restore A Subtle Warning in case you missed it in the chatter.
Potjeh

Postby colesie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:19 pm

I think locking homesteads in place is not the way to go, just saying that right now before it happens
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby darnokpl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:26 pm

colesie wrote:I think locking homesteads in place is not the way to go, just saying that right now before it happens

Locking it for 24h would be nice (if your leanto is only on personal claim or you marked claim stake as home, if your homestead is on town claim lock is not needed).
darnokpl

Postby Ass_Kraken » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 pm

24-48 hour warm up for town bells plox, and 24 hour cool down for homestead switching or if they have a waste claim on their homestead pls.
Ass_Kraken

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:20 am

Restoring "A Subtle Warning" without combining it with further content would be fail. The crime system would just be a 4-8 hour pvp matchup. Come back in 14 hrs, lets fight. No real reason to do it, since everything worthwhile inside is alt vaulted by then, so it would really limit it to people who have some kind of beef, or just want to destroy.
tweenprinc3ss

Postby FutureForJames » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:21 am

tweenprinc3ss wrote:Restoring "A Subtle Warning" without combining it with further content would be fail. The crime system would just be a 4-8 hour pvp matchup. Come back in 14 hrs, lets fight. No real reason to do it, since everything worthwhile inside is alt vaulted by then, so it would really limit it to people who have some kind of beef, or just want to destroy.

That's precisely what is happening now between towns. Towns can just alt-vault everything away. They need to fix alt-vaulting before implementing this "Pvp-matchup" system for towns.
FutureForJames

Postby colesie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:25 am

FutureForJames wrote:
tweenprinc3ss wrote:Restoring "A Subtle Warning" without combining it with further content would be fail. The crime system would just be a 4-8 hour pvp matchup. Come back in 14 hrs, lets fight. No real reason to do it, since everything worthwhile inside is alt vaulted by then, so it would really limit it to people who have some kind of beef, or just want to destroy.

That's precisely what is happening now between towns. Towns can just alt-vault everything away. They need to fix alt-vaulting before implementing this "Pvp-matchup" system for towns.

I don't see the alt vaulting as a huge issue at the moment. If someone dedicates the effort to raid a village with the new totem system it's pretty clear they want to remove the residents/hinder to residents considerably.
And example of this being Connorville (Mushibag's village). Getting them to pack up and have to start over is reason enough to raid it. Let's face it, there is no "loot" in Salem. Everything is easily attainable.
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby FutureForJames » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:35 am

colesie wrote:
FutureForJames wrote:

I don't see the alt vaulting as a huge issue at the moment. If someone dedicates the effort to raid a village with the new totem system it's pretty clear they want to remove the residents/hinder to residents considerably.
And example of this being Connorville (Mushibag's village). Getting them to pack up and have to start over is reason enough to raid it. Let's face it, there is no "loot" in Salem. Everything is easily attainable.

Everything is attainable, but it still requires time. If I in theory, could get 200 iron bars in a raid, that would reduce the time I had to spend to stengthen base defences considerably (I realize that noone in their right mind would store iron bars even in alt vaults, it is just an example).

Like Tweenprincess stated the current system " really limit it to people who have some kind of beef, or just want to destroy." when it comes to town vs town warfare. It should be possible for a town to attack another town just to get enough loot to build combat-alts and indirectly gain silver faster than through usual grinding; currently it is not.

Edit:
In before "But stall storage :D?": Easily solvable by designing the system so that whever you "put" an item into the stall, a price has to be set and a % of the demanded price is directly taken from your stall/character purse.
FutureForJames

Postby Potjeh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:44 am

Burglary mode would work just fine for stealing. It really makes sense to divorce theft from destruction, with the former being profitable and the latter expensive. The groups that just level every hermit base for fun would fall behind the ones that just steal, which would create an environment less friendly to griefers and more friendly to hermits.
Potjeh

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:49 am

tweenprinc3ss wrote:Restoring "A Subtle Warning" without combining it with further content would be fail.

This I do agree with.

For those that want to argue that these things really aren't "realistic" and are a band-aid fix for an issue probably aren't looking at it right. If you want to argue "realistic," in reality, I'm at or near my house most of the time (except when I'm not at my house). In a game, we don't have the luxury of "being home" when not logged in, thus some sort of game mechanic to represent this. The idea is to encourage players to pay attention and either play an active defense or make the decision to let anything they built up for defenses handle it. The choice is also to pack up as much as possible and hide in the woods until the storm passes, too. (If you have to have that much crap laying around you can't pack it all up on your "family", you probably shouldn't be a hermit.)

In reality, a guy living in the open plains usually had a half hour or more to see raiders coming and hide or prepare to defend. All we're asking is that we get the same choice and chance in the game. If a "band-aid" mechanic is what's needed, then so be it. A burglar can sneak in and out without causing an alarm. A band of raiders is obvious and to be feared.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements