PvP Insight/Heads UP

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: PvP Insight/Heads UP

Postby Inotdead » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:20 pm

So murder, even righteous, is essentially reserved for villages with people within multiple time zones or jobless people who sleep via polyphasic sleep schedule.

Also a question, what if I drop a TBC and make a quick little base with braziers and walls? Is the criminal forced to fight me inside that makeshift arena, or is he able to choose other place? Or can he answer the call and then simply flee?
Claeyt wrote: I'm not saying it's right or justified that they steal or sell drugs or murder cops I'm saying that that's exactly what you would do if you were poor and desperate and Black.
Inotdead

Postby Judaism » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:30 pm

Xelsol wrote:So let me get this straight: It's okay for your average casual player to put hundreds of hours developing his/her character only for it to be perma-killed for no reason by a random bored raider

If you die, then you deserved it. I died many times and I am embracing the current perma-death feature. If you quit after a dead then its only positive for the game, you woudn't stay around anyway.

With the way things are going people can just play around for years without a serious risk of getting killed, I don't think thats the intention of this game, don't mention perma-death as a big game in Salem, because you are simply lying from now on.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Hose » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:31 pm

is it possible 2 do some trial by chicken?
Hose

Postby AmmaBoss » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:42 pm

I bet the murder rate won't go down after patch.
AmmaBoss

Postby Xelsol » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:46 pm

Inotdead wrote:So murder, even righteous, is essentially reserved for villages with people within multiple time zones or jobless people who sleep via polyphasic sleep schedule.

If you can't make the time, don't do the crime.
Xelsol

Postby Claeyt » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:48 pm

MERRY ***** CHRISTMAS RAIDERS, AND A HAPPY DARWOTH'S TEARS DAY TO YOU ALL.

Loving the changes, JC. Looking back on all those days I argued with you about your killing noobs and wiping bases without any consequence, remembering those arguments and those dark times brings a tear to my eye. I now see that you've seen the light, and that I've won the argument even if you did make me Belethor live in a stick shack in the woods for the first time ever. You are now empowering Rangers and hunting the noob killers. God bless Tiny Tim and God bless the chief. Screw Darwoth.

Praise YGM. His Dream Shall Never Die. 'Candy' Justice Shall Prevail.

I've waited 2 years for this. If this had been in place I could have killed Darnok waaay back when I was a lone ranger.

http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4928

I like the system, good work, but I have a couple of clarifying questions:

My main question is, again, for my mapper friends. What will happen if someone Pclaims over a lean to out in the world? Will that person be able to easily destroy it completely. Will the person with the destroyed lean to immediately lose everything on the ground and 'persist in the world' or will they have to log on first? The way Marp described it on the Vent was more that they would only lose everything if they LOGGED OFF with NO lean to, thus making them have to build a lean to or making sure that their old lean to was up before logging off.

JohnCarver wrote:
Lusewing wrote:
My one question is, due to having my homestead set on my claimstone, will I need to set up a leanto and transfer my homestead to that instead?

Ah no. Everywhere you read "leanto" you can also read "Claimstone".

Will the possible thief need to access the claimstone itself or just any part of the claim emanating from the stone?

JohnCarver wrote:
Lord_Avu wrote:Then what about an upgrade system, it would cost just as much as building it new but you can build a superior wall over an inferior one without having to destroy the old one.

yeah I like the idea of upgrading walls. But unfortunately it is not a priority as I don't consider the existing strategy of 'layering' walls all that broken.

Also, lower walls behind superior walls won't be completely destroyed by splash, right? It's still just a percent of the wall. It won't crumble completely if the superior wall is destroyed in front of it? Or is that changing also?

JohnCarver wrote:
agentlemanloser wrote:Scavengers are thus by definition criminals, yes? One would need to claim the cracked base in all cases to protect the scents left in the taking of the base?

Sure. To 'scavenge' without being a criminal you would have to scavenge from bases that have no claims at all. Which would mean bases another player has already 'raided'. inactive or not.

Will unclaimed walls/building/storage still decay completely? Couldn't a scavanger just wait for a wall to decay and crumble then rush in and destroy the claimstone and then scavenge in peace? I like the new system overall, I'm just wondering about any wall decay changes.
Last edited by Claeyt on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 13 times in total.
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby Xelsol » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Claeyt wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:
Lusewing wrote:
My one question is, due to having my homestead set on my claimstone, will I need to set up a leanto and transfer my homestead to that instead?

Ah no. Everywhere you read "leanto" you can also read "Claimstone".

Will the possible thief need to access the claimstone itself or just any part of the claim from teh stone?

I would imagine the claimstone itself. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise.
Xelsol

Postby Claeyt » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:32 pm

...And this is my post for all those Raider tears.

AmmaBoss wrote:
Darwoth wrote:now all of you know why i have not logged on for more than 5 minutes a day over the last month and can stop asking!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

this system ain't for hermit 100% of the time the bigger team will win.

I disagree. This system ain't for hermit's WHO MURDER 100%.

This new system makes it much more possible to just peacefully hermit, farm and live. Bases are harder to destroy. There are harsher penalties and greater risks for raiders and murderers, along with greater incentive for large Ranger groups like the old 'Candy Gang' system of Justice.

Players like Darwoth could just ranger murderers if they really wanted but they're not going to be randomly killing people in the woods or killing noobs just outside of Providence anymore without thinking about the risks. I can now recommend to people that they can populate the countryside just outside of Providence in Peace and Safety again.

I'm so glad that the new dev's have pushed us towards joining safer, bigger towns and towards true 'Candy' justice. Praise YGM. His Dream lives on.

fox wrote:Just hoped on new server or world. :mrgreen:

Look at the development road map. Expeditions are coming up fast. That means new smaller servers with competitions and possibly new stuff only there.

pestilence123 wrote:I cant kill anyone if I do not buy skill in the store? Or how can I collect scalps to buy the murder skill, if I cant kill anyone without this skill?

You can learn 'Murder' in the game. It will take 350 Cloak and Dagger.

You can kill someone if you either buy the new 'Murderer' Pack in the store or if you learn the New 'Murder' skill in the game. It will just take 350 Cloak and Dagger to learn the skill so there will be fewer murders out there and they'll be more developed. The Murders will be more selective in who they murder. They won't be killing noobs off Providence's claim anymore. The penalties and risks are just too great when some 100 stat Ranger can just track you and kill you if you've gone afk without noticing that they've built a TbC outside your darkness base.

Sinnerman wrote:Game loses any sense.
Sinnerman wrote:It's look like pay for play.

Character development more challenging than what you get when you raid some town.
You can spend a lot of time on character development and eventually be killed by 5 biles character which even don't have Cain & Abel but he has your evidences.
What sense from the walls if they are no longer protects a criminals? What sense of raids if you lose more than get? :lol: :lol:

Captain James

You can't be killed by a 5 bile character. The new Trial by Combat mechanic is going to be a skill. The simple 'Revenge' mechanic is going to be attached to a skill. Yes you are going to have less raiding and if you do raid you're going to have to watch out for 'Trial by Combat'.

You will get MORE if you raid because players won't be able to port to town under a Trial by Fire. This means nobody will be able to save their stuff by alt vaulting it or moving it to another base.

alloin wrote:I like most changes, but there's always a thing I really dislike !!

I guess Salem will turn out in a game for another audience :cry:

Judaism wrote:I like most of the changes, however they are not going to make it up with the trail by combat system.

Crimes will be reduced to an extremely low number, murder will be off table for 99% of the cases. So it does not really matter how good the other changes are, they are irrelevant.

Nice try tho, nice try.

Both of you just need to expand your fortresses to 1000 x 1000 to avoid being summoned for Combat. :lol:

Inotdead wrote:So murder, even righteous, is essentially reserved for villages with people within multiple time zones or jobless people who sleep via polyphasic sleep schedule.

Also a question, what if I drop a TBC and make a quick little base with braziers and walls? Is the criminal forced to fight me inside that makeshift arena, or is he able to choose other place? Or can he answer the call and then simply flee?

There are other options besides murder now. The 'Eye for an Eye' skill is a permanent disability to the criminal without leaving any scents by the ranger. From my understanding it's a big crippling nerf to the characters stats and/or skills.
Last edited by Claeyt on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby Lord_Avu » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:17 pm

I quite like that you don't have to level a town just to ounish a criminal.
Lord_Avu

Postby Scilly_guy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Claeyt wrote:Both of you just need to expand your fortresses to 1000 x 1000 to avoid being summoned for Combat. :lol:

you mean 2050x2050
Scilly_guy

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements