Game Development: Wells Go Far

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Wells Go Far

Postby darnokpl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Spazzmaticus wrote:Better purity. The foundation of any game that touts itself as a "crafting MMO". I can barely contain myself!

Better purity swords - "bash, kill and destroy mmo" ¦]
darnokpl

Postby Orcling » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:58 pm

jorb wrote:Herbs in Mordor
Now become progressively rarer the farther out you get.

Shouldn't it be the opposite? It's untrodden land, after all, meaning there should be MORE plants there, not less.
Orcling

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 pm

T0ne wrote:I appreciate where you are coming from, and this is not an attack, but this type of mentality is a huge problem with the gaming industry nowadays. Simply put, you cannot always "play the beta card" in response to any suggestions or criticisms, more so when your game is actively advertising and accepting money from users. It comes down to design and development philosophy as well as prioritization.

When you sign up to play a game that is clearly labeled as alpha or beta grade software and not release, you automatically sign an "as is" clause and agree to deal with the "beta card". Whether people will pay for it or not is a whole other story. Minecraft made millions before it was ever in a release version. There's nothing wrong with this as long as the product is delivered and consumers get what they are paying for.

It really is more like Kickstarter where you at least get to play the game while it's being developed instead of waiting six months or a year (or more) for the devs to hopefully finish it. Traditionally, this kind of funding has been the job of a publisher, but why should one person or a small committee get to say what we will or won't enjoy? I say let's bring more of this around. Maybe if more games went into this sort of "open beta", there would be less crap on the market and publishers wouldn't waste their millions and billions on publishing said crap.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby alloin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 pm

ffs mumble mumble good cheer arghargh 350s necklace wtf 10k now pffff limited my ass RAAAAAGGEEEE iwantmymoneyback !!!! /endhourlyraeg
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Darkside » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:41 pm

Regarding purity update - I just hope everyone realizes something which results in up to 10-fold increases in benefit like the current system is just bogus. IF anything 2x bonus on something is good enough! And should be damned hard to achieve....

edit: and one idea for how to increase purity:

A) salt, lead, sulphur and mercury could be independent items in the game like lime, granite etc is today. though there already is coarse salt maybe change salt to something else or make this salt different.

B) to acquire these items you must find mine nodes for them just like iron. Either have completely separate mine nodes for them (this would be my preference so you cant have a single base that can mine everything - encourages trade with others who can acquire the other materials) or they get dug up randomly while mining a regular iron mine. Perhaps a richness attribute to mine node determines how often you get this special material.

C) The mined material is just ore and is unusable - you must refine the material into a purer form using a refining process which requires special skills, special equipment and a luck factor modified by your proficiencies. depending on those factors determines how pure you are able to refine the ore into actual lead, mercury, sulphur and whatever the 4th one is since salt doesnt make much sense here.

D) You can now use these refined materials to add purity to whatever you want in different methods depending on the industry - for farming you add the material as fertilizer to the field, or perhaps you add it to compost bin and this time the compost affects the farm unlike now where it does not. For iron you have to add the material in the smelter with the iron/ore , think of other ways for the other industries
Darkside

Postby Scilly_guy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 pm

jorb wrote:
A reward!
Players who have been logged in during the past week have been given some free snuff!

Lets reward alt farmers/vaulters!

I guess that really is how this game should be played.
Scilly_guy

Postby Dallane » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Scilly_guy wrote:
jorb wrote:
A reward!
Players who have been logged in during the past week have been given some free snuff!

looks whos mad about not playing the game correctly
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby darnokpl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:24 pm

More artifacts for slotting please.
darnokpl

Postby ionem » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Beer Wine and Firewater! pl0x.
ionem

Postby Wournos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:15 pm

Scilly_guy wrote:
jorb wrote:A reward!

The free stuff is, to my knowledge, just another bit of snuff. I see no need to get "worked up" about that.
Reminder to self: Patience is a virtue.
If Apple blocks Java on Mac: delete
Wournos

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements