Game Development: A Fortunate Providence

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: A Fortunate Providence

Postby Champie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:11 am

Dallane wrote:I know using old logs and baskets to store stuff seems like the bees knees but maybe you should join a village and see how the game is actually played.

Baskets suck! :) Give me a few old logs, some nearby stumps and a couple wooden boxes to throw into my lean-to, and I am certain I can reach a level of dismal mediocrity never intended by Jorbtar!

I'm doing it now!
Champie

Postby Nubshock » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:11 am

I mean I realize you're a huge troll/smartass and you're probably just here to waste everyone's time but just because you've been circle-jerking with 50 people for the past X months doesn't mean a 300 people "mmo" on a map this large and after new world generation is "good". It's actually **** by any standard outside of you and a handful other aspies here.
from the country that brought you this come JORB and LOFTAR
Nubshock

Postby Nubshock » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:14 am

Dallane wrote:
Nubshock wrote:I'm sure there's room for intermediates between 5million+ and 300.

Grow up

Lol, you're the one making excuses for an empty game because you're in love with it.

And that's fine, but growing up involves not making excuses for what actually sucks, like game worlds as dead as this one.
Nubshock

Postby Dallane » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:17 am

Nubshock wrote:I mean I realize you're a huge troll/smartass and you're probably just here to waste everyone's time but just because you've been circle-jerking with 50 people for the past X months doesn't mean a 300 people "mmo" on a map this large and after new world generation is "good". It's actually **** by any standard outside of you and a handful other aspies here.

I'm actually not trolling you at all.

Its not nearly as bad as you think. The game clearly isn't mainstream enough for you so i'm not sure why you are crying here. I actually haven't played till a month ago.

You keep using "" for MMO like this isn't one. Are you really >implying that this isn't in the MMO genre?

If you really think the world is too big then you obviously haven't played this game b4 the wipe. If we had the small map that we use to then you would still be on here crying that someone took your smooth stones because everyone is crammed together.

If you actually think I'm in love with the game you are newer then i previously thought. The game is **** when you get down too it but it has gotten a ton better. I much prefer their other game Haven and Hearth. I guess you missed that in my sig.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Mereni » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:25 am

Nubshock wrote:
Dallane wrote:
Nubshock wrote:I'm sure there's room for intermediates between 5million+ and 300.

Grow up

Lol, you're the one making excuses for an empty game because you're in love with it.

And that's fine, but growing up involves not making excuses for what actually sucks, like game worlds as dead as this one.

You seem to be doing your best to drive people away from this game by making them think they have no chance. The stuff you can buy does help a bit, but it's nothing at all game breaking. It's also not that expensive if getting a few days advantage is that important to you. Besides, the devs aren't making money in any other way, so if you have some brilliant idea of what they should be selling, why don't you suggest it?

The game does have a small population, but it is much larger than it was last month. Seems like everyone who left over the past year or so because of the purity problems have come back, and they're bringing friends. The 'advertisement' that the tribe recently released on youtube to so many hit's it'll probably bring in a few players. Why don't you wait for numbers to Actually stop going up before you start complaining?
Mereni

Postby Champie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:27 am

Nubshock wrote:I mean I realize you're a huge troll/smartass and you're probably just here to waste everyone's time but just because you've been circle-jerking with 50 people for the past X months doesn't mean a 300 people "mmo" on a map this large and after new world generation is "good". It's actually **** by any standard outside of you and a handful other aspies here.

Nub, the game is what it is, and for that I am thankful. While it may be frustrating or disappointing, I have decided a while ago to enjoy what the devs offer us. What Salem offers is a limited world of player created politics and story telling. Sometimes, it is interesting enough just to try to survive as an unsettled wanderer until you are motivated to join a politically driven group. Regardless of how hard you try, or how much money you spend in the store, you will always be threatened by someone, or some group.

If such a game appeals to only a handful of people, then they will determine the world of Salem. If you can suggest an alternative to Salem that meets your standards, I would encourage you to share the information.

If you manage to find/organize a decent group, then a potentially more interesting adventure awaits you in Salem.
Champie

Postby saffgee » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:50 am

No, it's actually 'different'. The '****' is just your subjective view of it.

I like the scarcity of other players, it makes for a more interesting atmosphere and really means that you at least feel as though you are eking out a meagre existence in the new world. If frog-hopping nutters called 'frik2win' or 'Nub460' bustling around a 'trainer' and randomly challenging people to personal duels is your idea of 'good', then I suggest you go back to a game that can offer you that. There are plenty of those around.
saffgee
Customer

Postby Nubshock » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:40 am

I like how you keep making comparisons to your standard mmo like that's what I'm asking for here.

This large a map, 300 people: there's just not that much room for complex interactions.

Basically you're going to have a small handful or organized factions, whichever one comes out on top quickly won't have much competition because there just won't be that much going on to keep them on their toes, and then treaty and status quo for the rest of the time. zzzz. This **** needs more than 300 concurrent players to become a world that has a chance to keep shifting (aka remain a bit surprising and interesting to play in) in the long run.
Nubshock

Postby jwhitehorn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:42 am

Nubshock wrote:I like how you keep making comparisons to your standard mmo like that's what I'm asking for here.

This large a map, 300 people: there's just not that much room for complex interactions.

Basically you're going to have a small handful or organized factions, whichever one comes out on top quickly won't have much competition because there just won't be that much going on to keep them on their toes, and then treaty and status quo for the rest of the time. zzzz. This **** needs more than 300 concurrent players to become a world that has a chance to keep shifting (aka remain a bit surprising and interesting to play in) in the long run.

Much of this could have been avoided if they didn't screw up horribly and make the world larger than the previous 3 servers combined.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

Postby Nubshock » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:52 am

Yeah, I guess. People misunderstand me though. I really want to like this game. But I'm not fool enough to think in its current state and with its player population a world can remain relatively "fresh" for more than a month or two. And this account is new but I've been around since the beginning of the beta. I'd just like a game that I want to invest time in to not so obviously head in the "back to clinically dead in 3 months" direction. For this to work somewhat well in the long run, it needs either a map that fits the player numbers, or a higher player number. How they achieve this is their problem, it's their game and their loss of time and money if it goes back to being on life support.

And I don't think the extra buying power packs help attract hesitant players. Simple as that.
Nubshock

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements