Upcoming server transfer

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Upcoming server transfer

Postby Potjeh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Kandarim wrote:It is not insane. To be a threat, you don't need the same level of biles as the "titan". You'll need to put in much less than the titan did in the first place.

I'd say you need at least 2/3 of his biles. And he got those biles back when there was 100% crops, whereas now you can get to like 15%, so I think the "much less" part is an overstatement.

But really, the main problem is that getting good compost bins is completely based on legacy humus. Doing it "legit" takes so much more effort, and the results are inferior, which really ruins the crafting side of the game.
Potjeh

Postby Syndarn » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Kandarim you are seeing too much red now. Calm down please.

Question is. When does the... new guy = the titan.
For the sake of the argument let's say that they are equally skilled with equal understanding of the game.

Can that ever happen? i never claimed it was inpossible. But i never said it would be a cake walk either. Neither am i implying that it should.

After how long can the titan be murdered and gotten rid off? Are we talking, Days? weeks? months?..years?
And let's keep this simple 1vs1 between those two and no unecessary mistakes are made. Both sides can ask for help, so let's not make it further complicated.

Im not discrediting the Titans, i know they have done alot and the more i play the more i realise that. Im just comparing the extremes. Im not really agains't the existence of titans, it's more like i have a problem with black play.. since it's called endgame for some reason and obviously gives alot of grief. Why don't we have any endgame for whiteplay?

As it is now a new player has to put up with alot of **** before getting a chance to actually do what they want, more so if they happen to end up in a bad neighbourhood or server for that matter. "if you have bad defences, you are asking to be raided" .. it's this mentality that we need to adress somehow. I don't know how that could be done, and i certainly don't want it to be done in a way that makes this.. "another hand-holding mindless RPG" because i don't want that either.

Thor wrote:I do hope you are kidding.

Im willing to drop the "easy" part of that statement, and say more likely to be discovered. Compared to HnH the salem map feels quite small. But that's just how i feel.

-Kruger
Darkness is unknowing, Light is knowing. Shed light to the Darkness to transform it into knowing. Thus it becomes Light.
Darkness is the absence of thought.
Syndarn

Postby Procne » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:00 pm

Kandarim wrote:It is not insane. To be a threat, you don't need the same level of biles as the "titan". You'll need to put in much less than the titan did in the first place. Your only drawback is that the guy started playing before you. That is something you can't fix no matter how much you'd like to. People that have been around longer will have

I disagree. People keep repeating arguments about diminishing returns and how it is easier to become a threat for a single character.
But that's it, keyword is "character", not "player". I assume that any experienced player has a bunch of backup alts by now. So sure, new player can work his ass off and maybe even beat a titan. But then the titan's owner pulls out 3 of his alts and steamrolls the new player. So forget about diminishing returns, player's power is rather linear to the time spent in game.
Experienced player will have more hearthvaults, will have more combat alts. And he will haveit easier restoring any losses.

Wipe, while unfair to the people who spent a lot of time and effort to reach their current position, does indeed bring "equal opportunity" to all parties willing to take part in combat for dominance.
But at the same time people asking for a wipe have to be aware that current "titans" are players who are good at the game and will gather power really fast after a wipe. If you are some semi-casual hermit or a newbie then wipe won't really make a difference for you. People who are threat to you now will be as big threat after wipe.
Procne

Postby Darwoth » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:05 pm

oh god more posts by people that always sucked at the game, never knew what they were talking about and have not played it in eons.
Darwoth

Postby Tamasin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:18 pm

Procne wrote:
Kandarim wrote:It is not insane. To be a threat, you don't need the same level of biles as the "titan". You'll need to put in much less than the titan did in the first place. Your only drawback is that the guy started playing before you. That is something you can't fix no matter how much you'd like to. People that have been around longer will have

I disagree. People keep repeating arguments about diminishing returns and how it is easier to become a threat for a single character.
But that's it, keyword is "character", not "player". I assume that any experienced player has a bunch of backup alts by now. So sure, new player can work his ass off and maybe even beat a titan. But then the titan's owner pulls out 3 of his alts and steamrolls the new player. So forget about diminishing returns, player's power is rather linear to the time spent in game.
Experienced player will have more hearthvaults, will have more combat alts. And he will haveit easier restoring any losses.

Wipe, while unfair to the people who spent a lot of time and effort to reach their current position, does indeed bring "equal opportunity" to all parties willing to take part in combat for dominance.
But at the same time people asking for a wipe have to be aware that current "titans" are players who are good at the game and will gather power really fast after a wipe. If you are some semi-casual hermit or a newbie then wipe won't really make a difference for you. People who are threat to you now will be as big threat after wipe.

No. A player's power is not at all linear to the time spent in game. I've met plenty of players who have played since some time in 2012, whose 'player power' is extremely dismal in comparison to some other player's i've met who have played only a couple of months or several months. I was surprised to realise there were players out there whose titans were their mains, no backups etc. A player's power is much more related to the amount of effort they put into playing effectively than time spent, from what i've seen.
Tamasin
Customer

Postby Procne » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:27 pm

With the assumption that both players are equally skilled and determined, time translates directly into effort.

So the point still stands.
Procne

Postby Potjeh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:30 pm

Time elapsed since registration != time spent playing
Potjeh

Postby Procne » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:36 pm

Potjeh wrote:Time elapsed since registration != time spent playing

yeah, this.
Procne

Postby Tamasin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Procne wrote:With the assumption that both players are equally skilled and determined, time translates directly into effort.

So the point still stands.

Wait, are you saying you think that it is wrong a player who has played longer and made an effort etc will be harder to decimate?
Tamasin
Customer

Postby Procne » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:46 pm

No, I have not said that. Which words gave you that impression?
Procne

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements