Game Development: Time Enough for Love

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: Time Enough for Love

Postby dageir » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:56 pm

Let the big guns figure this out. Once it seems lopsided the devs will try another scheme.
Somebody once wrote, "Hell is the impossibility of reason." That's what this place feels like. Hell
dageir

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:00 pm

Okocim wrote:
tweenprinc3ss wrote:Yes well, That is all well and good if what you enjoy is the FIGHTING. If not, your *****. Also, there will be NOTHING inside unless the claim you are raiding is inactive. In 18 hours, if someone is active, they will alt store everything before you can fight your way in. It is stupid. And as far as Loftar talking about sneaking over fences etc, that **** is not going to work with the summon system. If I can slip over a wall to steal, I can slip over a wall to summon kill, and no one is going to go for that...

Time implement Murder Claim!

"Caim's Totem":
Covers 100 x 100 tiles.
Allows murdering.
Goes active 60 hours after it has been built.
Becomes possible to destroy 2 hours after it has been built.
Disappears of itself 61 hours after it has been built.
Can only be placed by citizens with manage claim privilage.
Drains 200 authority per day.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.
tweenprinc3ss

Postby darnokpl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:02 pm

Hmm then we should also have anti-larceny auth objects, so even if someone will jump over walls and bash locks he won't be able to steal anythng :)
darnokpl

Postby Mushibag » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Odekva wrote:The strong walls and braziers where working quite good for protection from my point of view and could have given several hours for claim owners to log in. And small plots with 2 stone walls and some braziers were pritty safe also due to the brake in time/possible loot.

I really don't like this change. :cry:

This pretty much sums it up. Also L33LEE's comments about using the MM tribe as a control group are spot on. Just because they use fail raid tactics, does not mean it was impossible, or even near impossible, for them to get in. If this update had come 1-2 days later, I would have shown you how to get into Chief's vault with 2 guys with 300ish humours, and a couple of additional guys to prevent repairs from being made.

I'm not concerned with the waste claims, and I think it could be ok, but will need further testing to determine that. I am, however, concerned with nuking walls and braziers again. I could see how they may have been a little overpowered, but such drastic changes which are clearly geared toward helping the Chief and his fail raid team seem somewhat ridiculous. Apparently his friendship magic is stronger than my friendship magic. QQ :cry:
Mushibag

Postby tweenprinc3ss » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:12 pm

Ok. Thinking about how to make this work. Create a new maneuver mode gained thru the skill Larceny: Burglary mode, This mode while active drains 1bb/turn. While it is active allows use of wall climbing, must utilize grappling hook (rope + iron). Also, while in Burglary mode, you can not make use of Evidence on someones homestead. This would allow a thief the ability to gain access to someones claim, but would limit the stolen items per trip to a single inventory load. No actual chests could be taken, and would restrict breaking chests, requiring this be done on the spot, perhaps on their claim. One thing about this I would not like is things such as boats would be much safer, boats being my favorite thing to steal, but I could possibly live with that. One MAJOR change this would have: Currently, the scent of stolen goods ends outside of someones claim (Unless of course we are talking about sleds/boats). I will typically remove someones chests, put them down right outside their claim, and empty them. The goods in the chest are free from scent as they were removed outside of the claim. With Burglary, anything put into your inventory while on their claim would gain a stolen goods scent, and would then be trackable. This would make it a bit more fun in the case of stolen vanity items, as these could now be tracked for much longer. What do you guys think??

--One thing to make this work, would be to limit the protection the waste claims grant to only walls. So that someone could still break into a claim, and destroy a cupboard or chest. This is a MUST for burglary mode to function.

--I have always liked the idea of a way to get more of someones stuff trackable. I think it would be fun if people could go to town and search for people trying to sell their stolen goods. This would also add difficulty to the thief as they would have to pick good times to sell, or juggle through a Fence. This could also potentially open up another role in play. People could focus on selling stolen goods for cheap prices.
tweenprinc3ss

Postby darnokpl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:25 pm

tweenprinc3ss wrote:Ok. Thinking about how to make this work. Create a new maneuver mode gained thru the skill Larceny: Burglary mode, This mode while active drains 1bb/turn.

While char is on walls it should drain BB like swimming is draining phlegm :)
darnokpl

Postby Yourgrandmother » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:42 pm

This entire update is laughable.

Did you even think out how this affects the game?

In the past 30 minutes of being logged in I have been discussing with my town mates all the new countless exploits people can abuse now with these siege mechanics.

INVINCIBLE RAIDERS SWITCHING HOMESTEADS EVERY 24 HOURS INSIDE BRANCH WALLS GET A ***** CLUE
Yourgrandmother

Postby Myrdred » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 pm

Well, nicer to see an update, clearly a mechanism resembling the 24 h rams. The siege system is developing but it's nowhere near finished. I don't think the walls and braziers should be nerfed so much. I think they're too weak again :(

One idea I might have, the very concept of a siege in itself implies the existence of fortifications, so the system should not defend the two stick fences, you could add some expensive skill two destroy the two weakest fences without the waist claim, this way the weaker settlements that don't have real fortifications to speak of will be susceptible to experienced raiders without the protection of special buffs.
Myrdred

Postby JeffGV » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 pm

I didn't expect so many people wanted realism in the game. So, when will you implement castle doctrine to freely kill raiders when you find them in your claim? Is was actually in use by the englishmen after all and since people desire realism so much, well...
JeffGV

Postby Dallane » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:33 pm

After thinking this update over all I have to say is wtf is wrong with you guys.

You don't want massive wall spam so you nurf walls and braziers so wall spam is back on.
Waiting a day to raid isn't even worth it. I could make x10 of anything thats raidable in game with that time frame.
Base switching is going to let raiders who are stupid enough to waste time on the new system never be summoned as they move between hvs.

It's good to see you guys move to a actual seige system but I feel this was a terrible mistake. I makes no sense that staking a claim and waiting while you fist shake and flex outside someone's base. Why not give us rams again with better mechanics or tools to help break down the walls that many felt were where they should be.

I'll let old man stewart show everyone what do to while waiting a day to score some sweet sweet wasted time and effort
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements