2017 Roadmap

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: 2017 Roadmap

Postby kabuto202 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:26 am

Personally I just hope it goes open source when it dies, I'd love implementing my own ruleset and giving it a crack to see how it does. Salem has always had a lot of potential and it's core I found the mechanics that worked best stuck to theme rather some user demanded contrivance. It also struck me as how the developers focused on constantly adding "content" rather than fixing fundamental flaws with the game that turned it into a rapid arms race to the highest bile character. Sure, some players have managed to "crack the code" and have a hyper-effecient factory of leveling up new characters, but your game is going to have a fundamental retention problem when you're babis first Salemite that get's squished by a guy who deals tripple your blood in one hit. Even the argument that players like Darworth who got good at combat can take out way higher bile characters fall apart when the cost of high-level combat practice is typically at least a few weeks worth character building.
kabuto202

Postby Bleuwulf » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:29 am

kabuto202 wrote:Personally I just hope it goes open source when it dies, I'd love implementing my own ruleset and giving it a crack to see how it does. Salem has always had a lot of potential and it's core I found the mechanics that worked best stuck to theme rather some user demanded contrivance. It also struck me as how the developers focused on constantly adding "content" rather than fixing fundamental flaws with the game that turned it into a rapid arms race to the highest bile character. Sure, some players have managed to "crack the code" and have a hyper-effecient factory of leveling up new characters, but your game is going to have a fundamental retention problem when you're babis first Salemite that get's squished by a guy who deals tripple your blood in one hit.

That would be expected to SOME extent,given the mechanic,the problem you refer to is that people ONLY go around whomping defenseless newbs as opposed to picking a fight with anyone who stands any kind of a fighting chance whatsoever. What makes the behavior so Toxic is they then come here to forums and Crow about it like they actually accomplished something....
This game is full of cowards. Don't fear the braggarts and blowhards,it's the ones who CLAIM to be your friends that will lure you into ambush and backstab you.....
Bleuwulf

Postby Reviresco » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:37 am

The skybox is falling.
Reviresco

Postby Dallane » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:00 am

kabuto202 wrote:Personally I just hope it goes open source when it dies, I'd love implementing my own ruleset and giving it a crack to see how it does. Salem has always had a lot of potential and it's core I found the mechanics that worked best stuck to theme rather some user demanded contrivance. It also struck me as how the developers focused on constantly adding "content" rather than fixing fundamental flaws with the game that turned it into a rapid arms race to the highest bile character. Sure, some players have managed to "crack the code" and have a hyper-effecient factory of leveling up new characters, but your game is going to have a fundamental retention problem when you're babis first Salemite that get's squished by a guy who deals tripple your blood in one hit. Even the argument that players like Darworth who got good at combat can take out way higher bile characters fall apart when the cost of high-level combat practice is typically at least a few weeks worth character building.

oh look how cute. you have no idea how combat works at all.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Goodman12 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:00 am

kabuto202 wrote:Salem has always had a lot of potential and it's core I found the mechanics that worked best stuck to theme rather some user demanded contrivance. It also struck me as how the developers focused on constantly adding "content" rather than fixing fundamental flaws with the game that turned it into a rapid arms race to the highest bile character.

Salem's core was represented way better by the old salem but at the same time it was way too simple and didn't leave much room for accomplishments other than being the top pvp'er/raider.
Current salem is opposite of what the core is supposed to be. Gives too much room for character development and too much time and materials invested for base development. Alongside the poor raiding mechanics that it currently holds. I believe that if these things were to be fixed and salem was advertised properly it might actually do really good but even if it doesn't, the 3 things I listed above is what I believe to be the main problems with salem currently.
I also believe that the ***** community that salem currently attracts is possibly why things are this way because the devs would rather protect the majority (care-bears) and ***** over the minority (raiders).

kabuto202 wrote:but your game is going to have a fundamental retention problem when you're babis first Salemite that get's squished by a guy who deals tripple your blood in one hit. Even the argument that players like Darworth who got good at combat can take out way higher bile characters fall apart when the cost of high-level combat practice is typically at least a few weeks worth character building.

It is possible for newer players to reach and even surpass higher lvl players, and they can surely survive. The ones who end up dying early are the ones who either bring attention to themselves on forum at a very early stage with all the ***** they speak(like Bleuwulf) and the ones who are in-active on the forum thus doing things that would most likely get them killed. Example: going up north or south of the coast to hunt beavers.
Only way someone who has significantly lower biles than their opponent can win is if their higher biled opponent is not prepared for combat but they are.
Riolic wrote:The only reason raids still happen is because Goodman is a stubborn *******.
The rest are just vets pk'ing newbs
Goodman12

Postby Judaism » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:31 am

I very much do believe that Salem was superior years ago. I am fully aware that it is great to give players things to care about, however those things also existed before (legacy items and such). Now people have so much to care about and yet raiding seriously is almost impossible.

So yes, I would rather have a simplified version with enjoyable situations instead of another farmville. Hopefully it becomes something worthy of playing again, making it open-source more than likely will not fix anything, besides all the ''secret'' mechanics will be up for the taken. Just be patience and see if JC comes back to fulfill his promises.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Claeyt » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:20 am

Good god the member'berries are ripe this week aren't they.

The last world had ***** aether dependent crops and you had to search for water spots to raise it. This farming system is sooo much better. That alone makes this world better.

As for the game going under. JC himself said that even at the lowest player base since Popham started last Summer they still made enough to keep the servers running and he said they made money when Popham opened with a bit of advertisement.

If we all buy just 41 dollars a year for a cape in one quarter that would be 12,000 dollars.

It is discouraging to see JC and Marp busy in RL but I remember when Seatribe got dropped from their publisher, that was a smaller player base by a lot from what I saw.

This game isn't going anywhere but it's just developing slowly with 2 dev's.
Claeyt

Postby AcidSpiral » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:42 am

JohnCarver wrote:
Michael wrote:. I am looking forward to the next expedition.

Me too! I'll try to get some teasers out for you some time. The only silver lining I can offer is that the longer you wait at least the more Trade Orders and content there will be as the art and content keeps rolling at a steady pace even when I get generally defeated and stumped on mechanic implementations.

JC is still here even if we aren't seeing content added all the time. Maybe JC likes the toxicity being thrown at him but personally I think it would make me less inclined to throw updates out if it was my game.
AcidSpiral
Customer

Postby KruskDaMangled » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Goodman12 wrote:
kabuto202 wrote:Salem has always had a lot of potential and it's core I found the mechanics that worked best stuck to theme rather some user demanded contrivance. It also struck me as how the developers focused on constantly adding "content" rather than fixing fundamental flaws with the game that turned it into a rapid arms race to the highest bile character.

Salem's core was represented way better by the old salem but at the same time it was way too simple and didn't leave much room for accomplishments other than being the top pvp'er/raider.
Current salem is opposite of what the core is supposed to be. Gives too much room for character development and too much time and materials invested for base development. Alongside the poor raiding mechanics that it currently holds. I believe that if these things were to be fixed and salem was advertised properly it might actually do really good but even if it doesn't, the 3 things I listed above is what I believe to be the main problems with salem currently.
I also believe that the ***** community that salem currently attracts is possibly why things are this way because the devs would rather protect the majority (care-bears) and ***** over the minority (raiders).

kabuto202 wrote:but your game is going to have a fundamental retention problem when you're babis first Salemite that get's squished by a guy who deals tripple your blood in one hit. Even the argument that players like Darworth who got good at combat can take out way higher bile characters fall apart when the cost of high-level combat practice is typically at least a few weeks worth character building.

It is possible for newer players to reach and even surpass higher lvl players, and they can surely survive. The ones who end up dying early are the ones who either bring attention to themselves on forum at a very early stage with all the ***** they speak(like Bleuwulf) and the ones who are in-active on the forum thus doing things that would most likely get them killed. Example: going up north or south of the coast to hunt beavers.
Only way someone who has significantly lower biles than their opponent can win is if their higher biled opponent is not prepared for combat but they are.

Well yeah, if both people are about as good as each other or the would be "weak but skilled" player isn't skilled enough to offset his serious handicap in the fight. Still, I've seen people that are bad enough that they really could lose even such an uneven fight. I've played with them. There are several dimensions to this including the actual fighting, but also judgement and critical thinking. Like, if you incorrectly assume an enemy is weaker than they are or don't take them seriously because they look poor or don't judge what their damage output and absorbing might mean, they can surprise you when you go in their all sloppy. Which basically, means you were being a scrub/not skilled.

Or just for example you have making mistakes like "hurr hurr he doesn't have a sword or anything, I bet he's helpless!" and then they pull out and equip the sword or whatever and you commit anyways even though you weren't calculating for a fight with a sword, etc.
KruskDaMangled

Postby spalari » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Let's just wait to hear from Marp and/or JC before we start these "witch" trials, I get why people are frustrated, some people basically live on Salem so I get you feel like your time isn't being valued and all that.
That being said, there's waay too much interest in this game within the community, so if JC and/or Marp ever were to walk I way, I'm sure someone would be very interested in buying the game rights from them.

On that note I don't think a giant mob with pitchforks and torches will make JC work harder, I assume he also has a life to live outside of being our code-monkey. So let us just wait it out.
Hs: Olive

belgear wrote: I don't care what kinda coffee she makes, I only care about what kind of ***** she takes.
spalari

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements