A Brave New Salem

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: A Brave New Salem

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:32 pm

Gromar wrote: I am even scared by my own red square on the minimap sometimes.... :lol:

Welcome to Salem
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby KruskDaMangled » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Kaios wrote: It is not that killing is encouraged by everyone, it's just not discouraged either.

I think we have a misunderstanding here, or I did not get the game mechanics correct. I did not mean that the players encourage killing other players, but that the game itself encourages doing so.
What is the risk of a high level player to attack and kill a noob? I guess there is no risk whatsoever. Even revenge would be difficult, as I have no clue what the character name was except of "???". In addition - but here I don't know if that is relevant for the case of killing me - I have seen in boston the Scalp trader. So I assume there is some money to be made from killing people - not only from the loot, but also given to you by the game for handing in Scalps. (but maybe I got that system wrong)

By the way.. since yesterday I am not only scared by the light red squares indicating animals, I am even scared by my own red square on the minimap sometimes.... :lol:[/quote]

He's risking his character by committing a serious crime

http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Crime

in short, it entails both leaving "evidence" at the scene of the crime which allows tracking of the perpetrator and his claim and a debuff that prevents teleporting, and regaining humors. So if they were to be run across by someone else, or get into an unfortunate fight with a Bear or snake, they could be badly screwed. Of course, people being able to follow you or even just tell which direction your claim is, that's pretty bad itself.
KruskDaMangled

Postby Champie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:04 pm

KruskDaMangled wrote:a debuff that prevents teleporting, and regaining humors.

There were some changes to Crime! at the start of the New World Game Development: A Fortunate Providence
jorb wrote:Siege & PvP
The Crime debuff has been changed in several ways.
  • The crime debuff now increases as you commit crimes against private claims. You have one crime debuff per claim you have committed crimes against.
  • The crime debuff disappears after a certain fixed time, determined by how many crimes you have committed (being one day per crime, up to a cap of 14 days).
  • Committing a new crime when you have a crime debuff against the claim in question will reset the countdown on the crime debuff.
  • The cost of each crime you commit is scaled up with the size of your Crime debuff. (The more crimes you commit, the more expensive crimes become)
  • You can now regenerate Humours and log out even with a Crime debuff.
  • You can only ever have five crime debuffs at any one time.
  • You cannot select a new Homestead while you have a Crime debuff.
  • If you have evidence against a perpetrator, you can use those "scents" to reduce the crime buff versus the private claim upon which said perpetrator has his homestead.

Defensive installations have also been changed in that each defense now deals Base damage * (1/N) damage, where N is the number of clustered defenses. The point being that your defenses are 'saturated' from the first installation on, and that their total damage dealt does not increase with the number of defenses built. The idea is to remove or reduce the incentives to spam defenses everywhere.

Defenses located on a private claim do not react to crimes committed on an overlapping village claim.

Walls are significantly cheaper.

I sometimes get jumpy when I see myself on radar too :)
Champie

Postby KruskDaMangled » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Champie wrote:
KruskDaMangled wrote:a debuff that prevents teleporting, and regaining humors.

There were some changes to Crime! at the start of the New World Game Development: A Fortunate Providence
jorb wrote:Siege & PvP
The Crime debuff has been changed in several ways.
  • The crime debuff now increases as you commit crimes against private claims. You have one crime debuff per claim you have committed crimes against.
  • The crime debuff disappears after a certain fixed time, determined by how many crimes you have committed (being one day per crime, up to a cap of 14 days).
  • Committing a new crime when you have a crime debuff against the claim in question will reset the countdown on the crime debuff.
  • The cost of each crime you commit is scaled up with the size of your Crime debuff. (The more crimes you commit, the more expensive crimes become)
  • You can now regenerate Humours and log out even with a Crime debuff.
  • You can only ever have five crime debuffs at any one time.
  • You cannot select a new Homestead while you have a Crime debuff.
  • If you have evidence against a perpetrator, you can use those "scents" to reduce the crime buff versus the private claim upon which said perpetrator has his homestead.

Defensive installations have also been changed in that each defense now deals Base damage * (1/N) damage, where N is the number of clustered defenses. The point being that your defenses are 'saturated' from the first installation on, and that their total damage dealt does not increase with the number of defenses built. The idea is to remove or reduce the incentives to spam defenses everywhere.

Defenses located on a private claim do not react to crimes committed on an overlapping village claim.

Walls are significantly cheaper.

I sometimes get jumpy when I see myself on radar too :)

Oh, that's right. I think I actually read that at some point but it's not something I think about often because I haven't had the opportunity to commit crime very often with my character/I took a bit of a break from the game.
KruskDaMangled

Postby Cik » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:49 pm

I left over a year ago when the Purity system was grossly re-done to an extraordinary and unnecessarily complicated state. Is looking and evaluating that system on the project list of the new dev team?
Cik

Postby Snowpig » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:55 pm

afaik yes
In feudalism, it's your count that votes...
Snowpig

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Cik wrote:I left over a year ago when the Purity system was grossly re-done to an extraordinary and unnecessarily complicated state. Is looking and evaluating that system on the project list of the new dev team?

Fixing the purity system is a very high priority for us.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby lachlaan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:12 pm

Since the topic has been brought up, could you give us some insight into what your current ideas are for the new system? You know, in case some people work on something that will become more obsolete than other peoples' efforts :D I was particularly curious about your 3 element system, would it mean removing an element entirely?
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby Cik » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:32 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
Cik wrote:I left over a year ago when the Purity system was grossly re-done to an extraordinary and unnecessarily complicated state. Is looking and evaluating that system on the project list of the new dev team?

Fixing the purity system is a very high priority for us.

Thank-you. And it has been over a year since I gave up on Salem, but with the new Team, I'm cautiously optimistic. I had some great gaming experiences in this game, except for the aforementioned, and, well...I'm sure you know.

Thank-you again, for responding.
Cik

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:56 am

lachlaan wrote:Since the topic has been brought up, could you give us some insight into what your current ideas are for the new system? You know, in case some people work on something that will become more obsolete than other peoples' efforts :D I was particularly curious about your 3 element system, would it mean removing an element entirely?

It is still very much in development so I wouldn't consider any of my thoughts on the subject concrete by any means. Some things you could rely on that we are leaning towards:

*All mines having the opportunity to extract all matters of purity.

*No Purity on structures.

*No purity on inspirationals.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements